Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 3:52 pm

On the left side of the page about the homeowners. I can read the text, and by itself it makes sense, but that picture.... has absolutely NOTHING to do with refinancing a home!! !

Sorry, it's just finally irked me a to a point that I really really really need to ask what the heck this means because it drives me absolutely bonkers just seeing it every time I go on the forum, lol. It gets my attention from the start, every time, and I laugh at the image, then read the text and wind up frustrated... It grabs my attention for at least 5 minutes every time-me just staring at it trying to figure it out.

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 4:21 pm

I can't see the ad. What is the picture of?

Wiedinmyer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2009, 4:23 pm

You do realise that I'm now going to have to refresh my browser repeatedly until the ad that you're talking about comes up, don't you. Thanks. :)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 4:35 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
On the left side of the page about the homeowners. I can read the text, and by itself it makes sense, but that picture.... has absolutely NOTHING to do with refinancing a home!! !

Sorry, it's just finally irked me a to a point that I really really really need to ask what the heck this means because it drives me absolutely bonkers just seeing it every time I go on the forum, lol. It gets my attention from the start, every time, and I laugh at the image, then read the text and wind up frustrated... It grabs my attention for at least 5 minutes every time-me just staring at it trying to figure it out.

The purpose of that picture is to drag your eyes away from the post you were reading and compel you to read the ad. It is intentional that the picture doesn't really match the ad. It forces anybody who sees it to spend extra time reading the ad trying to figure out how it connects to the picture. It's worked on you several times already. You probably have the ad nearly memorized by now. A truly brilliant advertising strategy.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 5:00 pm

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
I can't see the ad. What is the picture of?

First, lol, and sorry to the person who is going to have to keep refreshing their page to see it.

It's this picture of a lady looking in a mirror, then it shows her with normal teeth, and she smiles and all her gums are showing on the top set of her teeth. The ad talks about homeowners not applying to refinance their homes, or realizing that they are all eligible to apply to do so through the govt. grant thingie.

Janissy, while that makes sense to some extent, it's only meant to be for one group of people, and it's for homeowners at that. On this site, I'm really not sure how many homeowners there are in all honesty, as a lot of us seem to be in pretty different situations as far as living. I don't have the ad memorized, in fact, it only makes me angry and is just too confusing to bother to memorize it for me. I mean, I know what it's talking about, but not what it says word for word-I remember the image and can replay that in my head over and over, however, and know that it's not linked at all with the words corresponding, lol.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 6:07 pm

I've seen the same sort of thing happen in other ads on other sites recently - one was an ad titled "Obama wants Moms to go back to school", but the photo embedded in the ad was of some scraggly homeless hippie looking dude with bad teeth. 8O WTF!?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 7:38 pm

I've seen the smile in the mirror thing for the teeth whitening ads. Oddly, I get a lot of those... ><

The Obama moms ads I've seen are just downright strange though. I've seen one with a hot air balloon, which makes me wonder if they mean 'Mom Heene'. And I've seen another of some sexy sweaty chick jogging with weights. Maybe it means school is a workout. And I've also seen a refi ad with that creepy dancing baby, but like six of them.

In reality, it just means the bots slapping these ads together have no concept of image placement, nor that of grammar. All those ads are scams, through and through.

EDIT: When I checked the post, the ad OP was talking about showed up! Man is that CREEPY 8O

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

ILoveMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2009, 9:10 pm

It's done primarly to get the visitor's attention. We've all become accustomed to seeing banners on websites and usually tend to ignore them (also referred to as "banner blindness" in advertising jargon). By placing bizarre pictures on the ads, it makes some people pause to see what the ad is about - and maybe even click through to the product.

Pay-per click ad prices on search engines can be VERY expensive, especially for certain sectors such as home refinance, insurance, etc. A cheaper way for advertisers to get their ads shown is on high-traffic websites such as WrongPlanet.net. Although not everyone here is necessarily a home-owner, it is usually far cheaper for the advertiser to have a banner displayed on a website with a lot of various users instead of paying for sponsored links to show up along with other search engine results at, say, Google.com. The people that do click through on the banner ads here are most likely either curious about the ad or interested in the product itself (which is what the advertiser is hoping for).

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

anxiety25 wrote:
It grabs my attention for at least 5 minutes every time-me just staring at it trying to figure it out.

Because the purpose of advertising is to get attention. If you're thinking about the ad and going so far as to post about the ad because it's on your mind, they've been successful at getting themselves into your head.

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2009, 10:55 pm

kip wrote:
EDIT: When I checked the post, the ad OP was talking about showed up! Man is that CREEPY 8O

ROFL, at least I'm not the only one weirded out by it!

...and okay, that makes sense guys-I thought there was really supposed to be a connection between the picture and the words, so thank you very much!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2009, 6:09 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
anxiety25 wrote:
It grabs my attention for at least 5 minutes every time-me just staring at it trying to figure it out.

Because the purpose of advertising is to get attention. If you're thinking about the ad and going so far as to post about the ad because it's on your mind, they've been successful at getting themselves into your head.

Yeah, but having been in advertising, I can tell you just getting in your head in itself is not necessarily successful. There are innumerable ads I've seen or heard that made me laugh, yet five seconds after they end I can't tell you what the hell they were pitching. And local sponsors whose commercials are so hideously, obnoxiously, irritatingly BAD, I've actually avoided their businesses for YEARS because their spots SUCKED so much - but their egos keep them voicing their own ads year after year...sometimes even ages after they stop doing their own ads, I STILL won't do business with them because of the bad memories...