Page 7 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:16 pm

I have a MS in electrical engineering and graduated magna cum laude.

metaphysics
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 8:24 pm

Flipmode wrote:
Does anyone have any examples with AS people who have college degrees or advanced degrees such as PH.Ds? I'm asking this because most people who have AS do struggle alot in school. (I know that there are AS people with advanced degrees, I am just curious to find examples)

Yes, I know one, who is my parents' friend, a PhD and quite wealthy, but he has been diagnosed and has not married yet, even now...

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2011, 8:27 pm

Long-time student here.

I have a B.S. in English Literature with a Math minor, a B.A. in Information Sciences with a Math minor, an M.S. in Computer Science, and a Ph.D. in Computer Science. I started college in 1973 and finished in 1990. There were a few years in there where I worked or worked full time and went to school.

I have taught computer science at the undergraduate and graduate levels and develop software now.

My long-term interests include research in algorithms for challenging problems, writing fiction, reading many things, and ancient Greek history (I really want to learn ancient Greek!).

I have been diagnosed with OCD, general anxiety disorder, and dysthemia (long-term low-grade depression).

I'm recently self-diagnosed with Asperger's (Aspie Quiz: AS = 176/200, NT = 37/200, other tests consistent with this). Not terribly interested in getting officially diagnosed. So many Asperger's traits fit me it is scary (and like coming home).

Am fairly social and easy to talk to, but have had to work hard to be up for those kinds of interactions. Often seem less Aspie than I am, but much of my life has been spent struggling with and learning to cope with what I now understand to be Aspie traits.

School through high school was pretty boring and I wasn't a very good student. I played cello, hated gym, unsocial, geeky, awkward, and always reading a book. Had one good friend. Graduated after my junior year at 16 when I found out I could (and wouldn't have to take gym for another damned year).

Went to college too young. Changed majors several times, dropped out twice due to severe depression. Finally finished degree in English literature with mediocre grades. No preparation for a career.

Did clerical work for nearly six years. Got bored quickly and started taking computer science classes at night while working full time. Did really well and grew up. Took four years, but earned a second undergrad degree. Applied to grad schools for computer science, got a fellowship and teaching assistanship at a good one. Spent four years in grad school, did well, earned an M.S. and Ph.D. in computer science.

Have had two other major periods of depression after getting my Ph.D. Was diagnosed with OCD, etc. several years ago, years of therapy, am still on medication.

Very glad I kept going back to school. Know I'm fortunate to have been able to keep going back.

Hang in there. It is never too late to work towards your goals. When you trip, get back up and keep trying.

Assasta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2015, 9:48 pm

seren wrote:

During the phd, my mental health deteriorated. I felt very threatened by the academics and other students, I had always been told that the older you get and the higher you get in academia, the more you are likely to meet people like myself, but all the students were 'perfect' (of course they werent but that is how I describe them in my head) They had sports tournaments, gave seminars at international conferences, went out to pubs every friday evening etc etc.

There again, although I now have a phd, I am currently unemployable - the post doc level jobs would not accept me due to the amount of time it has taken me to finish and poor references (and a lot of other factors), anything below would say I am over qualified. I would happily give up my qualifications for the chance to have a friend, perhaps a partner and be less miserable. All qualifications show is that ability to study one particular area, they dont make you a better person or more likable.

Thank you for writing that post, seren!

I recently turned down an unconditional offer for a PhD because I feared for my mental health during such a long, lonely and emotionally demanding three years. That, and as you say, employment after a PhD is a disgraceful situation at the minute.

Firstly, well done on your PhD.

I'm duplicating a post I made in another forum, but in some ways my situation has some similarities to yourself, I think:

My study of Psychology has helped me pretend to be NT. I perform well in interviews because I can put in a performance for short periods. I am never 'out' as an aspie to anyone except this forum, one friend and my partner. I would never write on any form that I have ASD and have avoided a formal diagnosis because I do not trust 'the system' (I'm a rebel without a cause at heart!).

I have an IQ of 146, I have a BA in English and an MSc in Psychology. I was also asked to start a PhD, and have an unconditional offer to do so if I ever wish to return, but I have declined the offer for now. Right now I need a routine, and I found individual study kind of isolating and unstructured.

I know all of the above sounds impressive... But in truth I lack confidence. When I am in the workplace I am surrounded by people who are less talented than I am, but because I struggle with workplace politics I have left every job I have had. I am looked on as less capable because I do not get involved with these games. And, I struggle with basics: I am scared to drive and travel to new places. I work hard to fit in, but there are times I just break down and struggle.

I cannot cope when people have their own agenda, I can't understand it, I panic and I resign. I have big gaps in my CV where I have chosen to be without work. I sometimes don't realise I am being bullied, or I think I am when this is not the case.

Education is somewhere I excel. I can remember anything, learn anything and think about things in a different way to other people. My obsessive nature means I will do everything right and put 100% effort in.

I got a distinction in every module of my Psychology MSc and a test score of 96%.

But, when it came to it, can I see that a PhD has any real value, or would 'being highly educated' lead to a 'proper job'. No. I need people and routine now. I couldn't spend three years by myself. I need the workplace... But however 'educated' or 'intelligent' I am on paper I feel completely unprepared for the real workplace and disrespected there because people don't understand me...or I them!

I don't know that education or profession are the true measures of successes in life.

My greatest achievement is having a partner that loves me, friends that I enjoy spending time with, and a dog I love walking! These things are simple for some people, but for me to be able to say: I enjoy spending time with some people, is such a huge thing.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2015, 11:32 pm

I'm currently in graduate school training to be a school psychologist. I will be working with students with disabilities, including children with autism. So hopefully I will be able to make a difference in children's lives. As you can imagine, my cohort at school consists of NT peers. You would hope people training to help with those with disabilities would be compassionate, but I know the other girls say rude things about me. During my summer class, this girl turned to her friend and said quite clearly, "That weird girl tried to talk to me" after I attempted to make friendly conversation. I know my professors suspect something isn't "quite right" with me, as I appear very anxious in class and make minimal eye contact. I've had negative feedback from one of my professors, saying I don't seem interested in the field. We had to record a video of us with a classmate conducting a mock counseling session and I was told I'm robotic and I can't be in the helping profession if I can't hold a conversation. I try hard not to stick out, but I'm sure it's painfully obvious. I have a 4.0 GPA, but that doesn't matter in a social climate.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:57 am

I have "moderate-functioning" (I know that doesn't exist as a dignosis but I am neither low or high functioning according to professionals) autism and I am doing my bachelor of science degree in pharmacology.

I require a full time support worker at uni and I get a lot of adjustments for exams (including a computer and a room of my own).

I've been finding it hard and I'm part time, but I don't blame autism for that. I blame mental illness and the fact that the free taxi I get takes one and a half hours each way to get to uni, so when I get home I am exhausted (not just due to sensory overload that uni gives me, but also because of the travelling).

I want to finish this BSc, work for a bit, and then get a master's degree in something around neuropsychiatry. I would like to do a PhD one day too.

I am disabled by autism. But I will not let it stop me from succeeding in life, even if it takes longer to get there.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:30 pm

Dumb and proud .

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 11:37 pm

Flipmode wrote:
Does anyone have any examples with AS people who have college degrees or advanced degrees such as PH.Ds? I'm asking this because most people who have AS do struggle alot in school. (I know that there are AS people with advanced degrees, I am just curious to find examples)

I have a Ph.D. Work as a college professor, tenured.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 11:59 pm

Does it matter we all die and go away so who cares ?

He who dies with most toys wins :roll:

Though to be fair I do feel sorry for those" highly educated " aspies who are unemployed and end up at McDonalds sweeping floors .

Not that theirs anything wrong with sweeping floors I hold the cleaner in higher regard than many "professionals " Ceo takes the day off nobody notices , cleaner takes the day off everybody notices !

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 10:23 am

Assasta wrote:
Thank you for writing that post, seren!

I recently turned down an unconditional offer for a PhD because I feared for my mental health during such a long, lonely and emotionally demanding three years. That, and as you say, employment after a PhD is a disgraceful situation at the minute.

Firstly, well done on your PhD.

The post written by seren, is over 5 years old----and though I feel this topic is still relevant, I just thought you'd like to know because that person may not respond to you.

I have an IQ of 146, I have a BA in English and an MSc in Psychology. I was also asked to start a PhD, and have an unconditional offer to do so if I ever wish to return, but I have declined the offer for now. Right now I need a routine, and I found individual study kind of isolating and unstructured.

I know all of the above sounds impressive...

I don't mean to be rude----but, I don't think it sounds impressive. Tons and TONS of people have high IQs, and education----tons, right here on WP! I'm thinking your needing your education to validate you, and it doesn't. People aren't impressed by people who have an education----education doesn't mean you're "smart", it means you're "learned". I have an education----it means, practically, NOTHING! I might----MIGHT----get a job over someone who has no degree, but that's all. IMO, people are impressed by people who are kind, loving, giving.....

But in truth I lack confidence. When I am in the workplace I am surrounded by people who are less talented than I am, but because I struggle with workplace politics I have left every job I have had. I am looked on as less capable because I do not get involved with these games.....

"Less talented" is "subjective", is it not? My guess is, you look around you and think "These people don't even have the education that I have----why am I wasting my time.....?" What you may TRULY be feeling is: "These people have no idea how I've struggled----I've gotten an education, while they were sitting-around 'playing' 'who do you think will get promoted, next'----why am I wasting my time with people who don't appreciate my brain?" Again, it's character that impresses people----NOT, education.

It's quite possible that you're not being looked upon as "less capable"----it's quite possible that you're being looked-upon as "uncooperative"----and, NOT because you won't "play the office politics game"----but, because you've got a bad attitude.

I cannot cope when people have their own agenda.....

Why not----you seem to have YOUR own agenda.....

Education is somewhere I excel. I can remember anything, learn anything and think about things in a different way to other people. My obsessive nature means I will do everything right and put 100% effort in.

No, it doesn't mean that you "will do everything right"----it only means that you will do everything right, by YOUR standards.

I got a distinction in every module of my Psychology MSc and a test score of 96%.

But, when it came to it, can I see that a PhD has any real value, or would 'being highly educated' lead to a 'proper job'. No. I need people and routine now. I couldn't spend three years by myself. I need the workplace... But however 'educated' or 'intelligent' I am on paper I feel completely unprepared for the real workplace and disrespected there because people don't understand me...or I them!

Maybe you don't understand yourSELF. It's like that old adage about not being able to love anyone, fully, until you love yourself. Maybe you're not "presenting" yourself well, and thereby not giving people enough to "work" with----and, maybe you're not presenting yourself well, 'cause you're not really sure how to do that----cuz you really haven't gotten it, all figured-out yet (totally understandable). Alot of times I see people who "hold-back", for VARIOUS reasons..... Sometimes, they say that it's because they don't trust others, sometimes they say it's because other people would only be cruel, to them, if they did; sometimes they say they won't let others in because they'd only get hurt----but, in almost ALL of those proclamations, what the person was really saying, IMO, is that they hadn't figured their OWN self out, they didn't want to let anybody else have a shot at it (a shot at figuring them out). Also, people often reject another's judgment of them, because they think: "I haven't even figured myself out----how could YOU know how I'm feeling?" That goes to the old adage about "You can't see the forest, for the trees"----someone on the outside can INDEED figure someone else out, more easily than themselves.

I don't know that education or profession are the true measures of successes in life.

I don't believe they are, either. I believe that people who think they are, are missing-out----on, ALOT!!

My greatest achievement is having a partner that loves me, friends that I enjoy spending time with, and a dog I love walking! These things are simple for some people, but for me to be able to say: I enjoy spending time with some people, is such a huge thing.

YES----I AGREE----THOSE are successes!!

Don't get me wrong----I, in NO WAY, am trying to put you down, be mean or cruel----or anything like that. I'm just trying to pass-along some things that I'VE had to learn----NOT, that I've learned-it-all, by any means!!

Take care,

Cat

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

Am I supposed to be impressed by all this , it feels like this thread rubs ours noses in it , being smart is the = of being born beautiful , so no not impressed, are you :wink:

Not hating just saying .

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:03 am

tropicalcows wrote:
I'm currently in graduate school training to be a school psychologist. I will be working with students with disabilities, including children with autism. So hopefully I will be able to make a difference in children's lives. As you can imagine, my cohort at school consists of NT peers. You would hope people training to help with those with disabilities would be compassionate, but I know the other girls say rude things about me. During my summer class, this girl turned to her friend and said quite clearly, "That weird girl tried to talk to me" after I attempted to make friendly conversation. I know my professors suspect something isn't "quite right" with me, as I appear very anxious in class and make minimal eye contact. I've had negative feedback from one of my professors, saying I don't seem interested in the field. We had to record a video of us with a classmate conducting a mock counseling session and I was told I'm robotic and I can't be in the helping profession if I can't hold a conversation. I try hard not to stick out, but I'm sure it's painfully obvious. I have a 4.0 GPA, but that doesn't matter in a social climate.

Wow. I can only say that I respect you very much for your goals and achievements.

Don't worry if they call you "weird" or "robotic", just go to your dream :-) Just act as you feel comfortable, you'll find people who appreciate that.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 12:05 am

And another example of highly educated Asperger - me :-) For now I have Master of Science degree in IT Engineering but because it's not what I wanted to do this year I'm going back to college - for Political Science.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:17 am

aussiebloke wrote:
Am I supposed to be impressed by all this , it feels like this thread rubs ours noses in it , being smart is the = of being born beautiful , so no not impressed, are you :wink:

Not hating just saying .

I have to agree with you on this. I am beginning to think that most of the people posting here are on some kind of an ego trip. But then again, it could be just like poor people pretending to be rich. After all, when autism strips a lot out of your life. It's nice to know that you got something of value to brag about.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2015, 3:28 am

LupaLuna wrote:
aussiebloke wrote:

Not hating just saying .

I have to agree with you on this. I am beginning to think that most of the people posting here are on some kind of an ego trip. But then again, it could be just like poor people pretending to be rich. After all, when autism strips a lot out of your life. It's nice to know that you got something of value to brag about.

Thank you I wont call it for what it is as I got a pm last time by a mod , my lips are sealed , I expect better from autistics , to right I am resentful of "intelligent " people after dealing with the morons in the medical profession , 14 years on a disability pension because of their stupidity (long story ) , now back to work ......

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

Aspergers with BSc Software Engineering and Computer Science. I had plans to study pure math, but I have no funds to do so at the moment.