Page 2 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 2:18 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
I'd never heard about him. In fact, I thought at first the post meant Simon Baron-Cohen or something. But I looked it up on Wikipedia and read about him. He seems kind of awesome. It's nice to see another example of a successful person on the autism spectrum.

Yup, it's my favourite success story about someone who's admitted to being on the spectrum :)

BitTorrent has a massive importance, BTW, it's pretty much driving a digital revolution. That's no exaggeration either, Google "Pirate Party".

I'd heard of BitTorrent before. My boyfriend uses it. It's pretty awesome the person running it is on the spectrum, and that he's willing to talk about it.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:19 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
Must not be a huge problem because I still have A's and B's in all my classes and am in the honors program, and I'm a college junior take graduate level classes.

That doesn't make sense, you can't concentrate in class while you do something that makes you look like an idiot.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:21 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
Must not be a huge problem because I still have A's and B's in all my classes and am in the honors program, and I'm a college junior take graduate level classes.

That doesn't make sense, you can't concentrate in class while you do something that makes you look like an idiot.

Clearly, it is possible.

You, bjfsdfglfd or whatever your name is, will fail in life, because the only thing you seem to be able to do is troll forums. Cohen, on the other hand, started his own company and invented BitTorrent. Jealous much?

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 2:21 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

I can concentrate in class while I'm doing anything. That's not a stim I do in public but some people do. In fact, one of the reasons I stim is to improve my concentration.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:22 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

I can concentrate in class while I'm doing anything. That's not a stim I do in public but some people do. In fact, one of the reasons I stim is to improve my concentration.

There's no need for stimming, I would get really tired if I did it for a few minutes.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:23 pm

[photo removed - M.]

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 2:24 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

There's no need for stimming, I would get really tired if I did it for a few minutes.

If the stim is something like spinning your pencil, rubbing your fingertips together, or rolling a mint around in your mouth, you will hopefully not get tired. And most people won't notice that you're doing it. Might think it's a bit odd that you go through eight mints in one hour but that's fine.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:30 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

If the stim is something like spinning your pencil, rubbing your fingertips together, or rolling a mint around in your mouth, you will hopefully not get tired. And most people won't notice that you're doing it. Might think it's a bit odd that you go through eight mints in one hour but that's fine.

I didn't mean anything like that, I meant to rock back and forth.

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 2:34 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

A boy in my high school who had Asperger's did that. He understood nuclear physics and was probably smarter than anyone else in the school. He would rock back and forth in his seat, and everyone thought it was weird, but he was learning something still.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:36 pm

I rock back and forth when I concentrate on something. Rocking makes it much easier to concentrate because I no longer have to focus even a small portion of my attention on not rocking.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:37 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

A boy in my high school who had Asperger's did that. He understood nuclear physics and was probably smarter than anyone else in the school. He would rock back and forth in his seat, and everyone thought it was weird, but he was learning something still.

That's hardly a person to look up to.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:38 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

valkyrieraven88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2010, 2:40 pm

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

Why not? Because he's autistic? I don't care about things like that. I admired him because he succeeded in school and over the next couple years he learned to better interact with people and even participated in a school play. I'm not going to think he's any less of a person because he rocks in his seat a little.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:43 pm

Bram Cohen is my hero.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:44 pm

valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
valkyrieraven88 wrote:

Why not? Because he's autistic? I don't care about things like that. I admired him because he succeeded in school and over the next couple years he learned to better interact with people and even participated in a school play. I'm not going to think he's any less of a person because he rocks in his seat a little.

I have no problems understanding that some nerds would play with him, no one else would play with a rocker, especially not me, and I'm an aspie.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:48 pm

Okay, why exactly do you have such a problem with rocking?