Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 9:01 am

I am hoping to order a crate of either of these when I next have spare cash [neither are sold in the UK natively],and I am wondering-from those who have tried both of these recently [the American versions] what they taste like? cheap and nasty or nice? are there any other well known drinks that they taste familiar to?
I remember when Mountain Dew was sold here years ago and for some reason it was withdrawn from the market,like other great things [lucky charms cereal,tab clear coke..] is it a lemonade type drink?

Also,away from that question a bit,is there anything anyone else misses [as in food/drink/sweets..] that isn't sold/made in own country anymore?
For any Lucky Charms fans in the Trafford or Manchester borough,go to Selfridges in the Trafford centre,unless it's changed since I was last in,they are selling Lucky Charms [and other American imports] it's £7 per box,everywhere else I have checked [on internet also] is about the same price so it's not just selfridges trying to con people [which is what my sister kept saying to me when I bought them],i think it's because they're importing small bulk,so have to charge more to cover the costs.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 11:27 am

Normally I do not have sweet stuff. Sometimes I drink soda like pepsi.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2006, 12:51 pm

Hi,

I travel a lot for work and really miss fresh carrots. If one stays in hotels and is in business meetings until your head spins -- it is a real treat to sneak out to the grocery store and find pealed ready to eat baby carrots.

As for lucky charns and mountin dew - I feel for you. When my brother was in the UK he went to the base exchange on a us airforce base to buy this stuff. It was not very expensive but was a hastle to go and buy.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 2:50 pm

I realy dont like Mountian dew but my son loves it as for Jolt its pretty good but I like Coca Cola better. As for the other question when I was younger I lived in Florida and there Coke makes a Product called Mr Pibb which they don't sell in connecicut I miss it but I don't know anymore if its just the fact I can't get easily or if it was as good as I remember it was like Dr Pepper but a little different.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 3:51 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
I remember when Mountain Dew was sold here years ago and for some reason it was withdrawn from the market,like other great things [lucky charms cereal,tab clear coke..] is it a lemonade type drink?

Not really. Mountain Dew has a generally indeterminate flavor, however it has a sweet, somewhat citrus like flavor with no real tartness to it, unlike the British drink Tango, Lemonata Sanpellegrino, or even Redbull. Like most drinks available over here, I find it to be little more than sugar water with a little bit of artifical flavor added. Mountain Dew is also loaded with caffeine, and you can generally taste a slight caffeine bitterness as well.

Jolt Cola on the other hand tastes to me like the generic Supermarket brands of Cola but with extra caffeine bitterness due to the fact that it has twice as much caffeine as regular sodas. Jolt also made, (Still Makes??) a citrus like drink similar to Mountain Dew, that again has more caffeine than the original.

There is a new drink out over here manufactured by Coke Corp called vault that advertises itself as an "energy drink that drinks like a soda". This essentially means that it is alledly supposed to do the same thing as redbull, but only oversweet, watered down, and generally as flavorless as most of the crap that's sold as soda over here.

Another thing that you might find interesting to know, is that for the past 20 or so years, nearly all of our soda over here has been sweetened with high fructose corn syrup instead of pure cane sugar due to cost. This changes the flavor and the mouthfeel more than you would think.

For Soda, I prefer Mexican Coke ( still made the old fashioned way with cane sugar), Tango, (available here in Brit specialty shops) and Sanpellegrino Aranciata or Lemonata. There are a few specialty sodas over herer that are made with cane sugar as well, but they are usually fairly expensive.

Clear Coke as well as Clear Pepsi didn't really catch on here, and were pretty much gone from store shelves by 1995. Tab has just been reintroduced here as one of the new "energy drinks". It's use pretty much died out after Diet Coke was released in 1983. I didn't see too much of it after 1985. --Diet Coke pretty much made it redundant. Why have Coke's self made imposter when you can now have the diet version of 'The Real Thing'? -- The OriginalTab was also flavored with saccharine, I have no Idea of what the new stuff is flavored with.

Last edited by Fogman on 01 Apr 2006, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 3:59 pm

Whats Jolt Cola? Get Mountain Dew.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2006, 4:04 pm

ilikedragons wrote:
Whats Jolt Cola? Get Mountain Dew.

When it came out in the mid '80's it's Advertiseng slogan was "All the Sugar, Twice the Caffeine". Jolt has even more caffeine than Mountain Dew.

DavidS
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2006, 1:24 pm

I like mountain dew and buy it in the uk from americansoda.co.uk. It was on special offer a few weeks ago, but this now seems to have finished. It’s worth going on their mailing list to receive offer notifications, particularly if you don’t mind buying stuff with a short life code.

I think the last lot cost around 40p per can, but it’s around 70p normal price. If anyone knows somewhere cheaper in the uk, please let us know.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 2:40 am

Some friends of mine did go onto a US millitary base while vacationing in the UK for their Mountain Dew fix.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 10:34 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
is it a lemonade type drink?

Mountain Dew is nothing like lemonade except that they're both sugary and are mixtures containing water. Mountain Dew is kind of like Mello Yello, Surge, or Vault (all products of the Coca-Cola Company). It's carbonated (unlike lemonade), contains a mixture of citric juices and flavors (unlike lemonade, which just contains lemon juice), and really doesn't taste like any natural fruit juice drink because it's a type of soda.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2006, 11:18 am

Quote:
Mountain Dew is kind of like Mello Yello

You cant get Mellow Yellow in Ct either like Mr Pibb I don't think they ship it here but they have it in Florida

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2006, 11:47 am

I didn't even think about it until I saw this thread...but even though we still have Mountain Dew here in Australia, I think that Jolt Cola has pretty much disappeared.

When it arrived here in 1992, Jolt Cola was heavily promoted on its high caffeine content, and my guess is that it's since been overtaken on the market by Red Bull and V which are promoted more as "guarana" and "B vitamin" drinks. Of course, it's the B vitamins that fire you up, not the fact that caffeine is the active ingredient in guarana... :?

I don't think V is known outside Australia, to my knowledge it's the market leader for energy drinks here. Ironically it's made by Spring Valley who are more traditionally a fruit juice company, yet V is, like all the others mentioned, just sugar and fizz. It has a kind of apple taste though, and the caffeine is apparently equal to a strong cup of coffee.

I discovered something different a few days ago...a Swedish energy drink called Niagara. It has a nice, herbal taste to it; full of caffeine of course but also contains damiana, a mild euphoric/aphrodisiac which I used to buy leaves of and infuse with lemon. While I hardly need any aphrodisiacs at this point in my life, I find that the mild euphoria is great for social situations, I just feel more relaxed.

Of course, though, nothing beats the daily cinnamon latte. It's my last remaining vice. :twisted:

You got to ask for it