Aspergers "introspection" and withdrawal.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2017, 1:46 pm

solos wrote:

If there's any AS person reading this who has gone through major shutdown, would it be counterproductive to continue to contact him and how often-ish... any clues?

If someone continued to contact me when I did not have the resources to handle it, it would cause me to regress. Just knowing that someone will NOT contact me makes me a little less stressed. Even seeing a human form when I'm burning out causes my brain jelly to last so much longer.

solos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

Thank you..

Would receiving a snail mail postcard do the same?

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

I can only speak for myself here, but if I received a postcard, I would be ok with it, depending on the topic. If it said "Hey. Thinking about you. Contact me when you're ready. I hope all is well" I would definitely be fine with that. However, if it sounded pushy or needy, it would stress me out deeply. As long as I got the impression that the author understood the situation and was giving me space, it would be ok. Personally, I like postcards. I like the pictures on them and the lack of technology required.

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2017, 3:15 pm

A postcard that said that I could take all the time and space I needed and that they would be there when I was ready would be helpful. A short message.

Anything expressing love or support in more than a few words would just not get read.

AquaLuna
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2017, 3:59 pm

I felt very similar for a very long time before medication that helped ease my symptoms a lot.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm

I've definitely had issues with major shutdowns and withdrawing from the world completely. The best thing anyone ever did for me was basically the postcard idea. Knowing that there is someone out there that I could return to when I'm feeling "better" actually helped me recuperate faster, especially if there was no pressure on me. It was basically some intense and long lasting me time.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2017, 4:13 pm

Michhsta wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is mainly geared towards people who have had a significant period of burnout relating to long term shutdown, before an official dx of AS(and how you managed after a dx) in and around mid-life age. I can name the month and year that it started for me. November, 2007 before diagnosis. However, the reason that I did not post this in the In-depth Adult discussion forum is because I would like others opinions or experience.

And I also apologise if this has been discussed to death.

Did you find or experience a specific period of time where you could not function and withdrew to the point of lengthy silences and even lost the COGNITIVE ability to "connect" with people?
Yes... all the yes

Did people you are close to make comments like "You are more distant than usual/you stare into space constantly/you stim more". ?
Yes

In this period of burnout or shutdown, did your needs become more important than ever, in the case of feeling so needy that meltdowns ensue over the slightest change in routine, to the point were you feel like a 5 year old? For instance, every tuesday night I watch Insight on SBS. Last week my partner said to me, "What are you going to do when Insight finishes for the season? You need to start thinking about how you are going to fill that time slot, babe. Just be a bit better prepared so you don't suffer too much when it finishes." I sobbed like a baby and rocked away on my chair.
No because I just did... Nothing

Did you often lament the seeming loss of IQ, or feel like your brain was a limp, saturated sponge that simply can't take anymore data in, and the data given to you goes around in this continuous loop like some massive decoder? Does it go on for weeks or days, one experience, trying to find the right data retrieval from a massive cognitive data base, to process it?
Went on for 3 months. Then off and on for a subsequent 3 months.

Did your sensory issues become so painful that you can barely tell which direction you are facing somedays?
I didn't leave the house most of the time

I have read the document "Help! I seem to be getting more Autistic" and I agree with most of it, vehemently. It is EXACTLY how I am. But it is hard not to think of this as "regression". I do not want to make light of cognitive impairment diseases, but this feels so horrible, that I can only compare it so some quasi-dementia. And not having dementia, but knowing the symptoms.

I need to know that I am not alone in this and more importantly, I need to know that I am not going completely mad.
You're not alone and not going mad and what's most important: it's not permanent. Sounds like total bs right now, but without even noticing, it will eventually dissipate. The thing is not to be mad at yourself for this. Self-blame will lead to more stress and feeling bad etc. This is not your fault and there's nothing you can really do but try to take care of yourself and take it one day at a time. It will pass.

Mics

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jan 2017, 8:14 pm

Thanks for this. Yes, this is disturbing when it happens, and somewhat disturbing when it goes away even, because you wonder: what's really changed to make me feel so different? Did I misremember how awful that was?

It's just nice to be validated that yes, that experience is real, and yes, it can come and go. I like to think I know the signs well enough now to take care of myself so that they don't escalate to that point, and it drives home the point even more that it's important not to wear an NT mask as your personality or feel ashamed for being yourself in public. The cost is just too high.

MsV
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2017, 6:14 am

dryope wrote:
Thanks for this. Yes, this is disturbing when it happens, and somewhat disturbing when it goes away even, because you wonder: what's really changed to make me feel so different? Did I misremember how awful that was?

It's just nice to be validated that yes, that experience is real, and yes, it can come and go. I like to think I know the signs well enough now to take care of myself so that they don't escalate to that point, and it drives home the point even more that it's important not to wear an NT mask as your personality or feel ashamed for being yourself in public. The cost is just too high.

Totally understand. To avoid this in the future, I've been surrounding myself (even at work, at least for now) with people who understand my "wiring" and don't expect me to be overly social when im having a stressful time. Plus my brain is kind and doesn't mind work-stress. It only goes into "f*** you* mode when I'm under people stress (if that makes sense). It sounds majorly cliche but I found what I love to do and seem to be able to make a career out of it.
Also I've trained myself (reading non-verbal cue books and e.g. "How to win friends and influence people" - must read) to the point where the odd bs networking event is doable.
But every day is a new set of both challenges and rewards so there's no guarantees but at least I found my happy back. Those 6 months were extremely dark though... like I couldn't see any speck of light at the end of that tunnel while I was in it. Wreaked havoc on my immune system too. But it passed and I found my happy again. As you will too :wink: