Ever feel like your family don't care about your interests?

Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 7:58 pm

My dad explicitly told me once that he "doesn't understand how I like the things I like" and used to go "Okay?" whenever I talked about any of my interests or anything I accomplished. Everyone else in my family besides my oldest brother just talks over me or tunes me out if I talk about things I like.

Most of my family do not care at all unless my interest benefits them in some way, like being able to take care of pets for them. The rabbit my mom got she said he was mine so I'd take care of him, because she knew I'd look up how to do everything and would do things that she wouldn't for the bunny, and then when I moved she said he's "hers" and doesn't want me to have him.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 9:34 pm

FalconPunch39 wrote:
So does anyone ever feel this way, or am I just over exaggerating!

Yes. The closest anyone ever got was one saying that something showed I was smart, but it still wasn't something they understood.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 10:50 am

Yes, definitely. When I was younger, it really upset me if I was into something and I couldn't get others around me into it too, it kind of made me feel alone. However, with the internet now and being older, I find people online that I share interests with so I wonder now if people in my family were into the same things as me if it would be weird. I try really hard to not talk about my interests though now with people I know offline, which could be one of the many reasons I'm starting to like online interactions with friends more. I've never really gotten positive reactions to sharing my interests with people in my family anyways and them being dismissive when I have brought them up in the past has made me also fearful of them saying hurtful things, so I just kind of keep it to myself or save it for the internet. There are a few things that I like that my dad likes too (like classic rock music and cartoons) but I don't really have any interests in common with anybody else in my family. One thing they all love are those home renovation shows and I find them boring personally (I apologize if anybody here likes them, they just aren't my thing).

My Tumblr