Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2010, 8:39 am

This reminds me of a military saying....

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

It's a common thing in the military that if you need to do X, you must do X without violating any standing rules or orders. However, it may be near impossible to do X by the deadline specified (if at all) without ignoring many standing rules and orders.

If you ask for permission to do whatever is needed, you won't get it because nobody will put their ass on the line for you to break the rules to accomplish the mission.

If you do everything by the book, you can not be punished for failing the mission because the rules tied your hands behind your back (technically, speaking) but your career will be negatively impacted because you didn't get the job done.

This leaves the only option of disregarding the rules, accomplish the mission and hope later nobody tries to crucify you for doing what it took to do the job. If they approve of the results, your "crimes" will be forgiven. If they don't, they will nail you to the wall.

Somehow, NTs handle this with no problem. I can only guess they figure the harm from failing the mission is worse than the harm from being disciplined for breaking the rules.

In studying the law, I found DIYD-DIYD is commonplace. Every person around the world is a criminal...probably both with misdemeanors and felonies. The law is so voluminous and often contradictory that if police were "perfect" they would be able to arrest everyone for numerous violations of the law. This is why I reject the law overall. I came to recognize it as a tool exploited to enslave and entrap the common person rather than a tool to maintain good social order.