Autism Community: Common goals in advocacy, despite division

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

sc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 8:23 pm

Autism Community: Common goals in advocacy, despite divisional turmoil’s.

What common advocacies can be implored upon despite conflicts within the autism community.

Such as pro-cure vs. anti-cure and semantic disputes representing divisionional issues.

1. Prenatal testing for autism with intent of abortion, radical pro-cure.
2. Treatment methodologies, radical anti-psychiatrist politics partly.
3. How autism is viewed and terminology used, far too much attachment to the label, divisional awareness politics. Consistently evident of unnecessary persecutory feelings.

Are there common advocacy issues that mean more to the individual in real life that most on average can agree with? If there are common issues in advocacy that most can agree on there could be a unity instead of division.

My views concerning Pro-Cure and Anti-Cure...

Pro-Cure has a scale, from the well intending parent or supporter to the radical that believe persons with autism should be destroyed while developing through stages of life development in the womb. Pro-cure can be both accepting of how it is a person is, yet desire the best for him or her in their own choices, yet it can also be non-acceptance.

Anti-Cure can be about self-acceptance but the radical believe they have a right to control the medical choices of others. Radical anti-cure believe it is hate to cure or treat disabling symptoms, yet those who do not that are not radical believe it is a personal choice.

There is the fundamental issue that cure insinuates a dysfunction that is in need of correction. It is unfortunate terminology to those that are fine being how they are, yet people with autism have backed cure efforts. Radical anti-cure does not accept there choice to seek this and desires to divert funding despite personal choice, so the division is obvious.

I think it is mostly nonsense and more serious and vitally important issues in advocacy are dismissed due to the conflicts that are core to the manifestations of sides such as pro-cure and anti-cure socially.

I think the best intended goal is discovering ways that all that are effected by autism that are online despite differences in opinion can come together in a common advocacy. Such as for quality of life, but that might not come true.

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2006, 9:21 pm

http://www.gettingthetruthout.org/

Sorry, I should have added there are many pages of reading, and it may be disturbing to some people. Please read the whole lot before making a judgement, it is a most interesting site.

The following link to page 13 gives you one example of an Asperger experience.

http://www.gettingthetruthout.org/pageb013.html

Last edited by emc on 01 May 2006, 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

wobbegong
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 9:23 pm

I think we could advocate for more tolerance.

We should be able to tolerate difference in other people that isn't causing us direct physical harm.

I think we could advocate for more social and life skills to be taught at school. With so many families a mess these days and both parents working - these skills are not being taught at home.

So a basic list of how to treat other people politely, how not to get upset at rude people, how to budget money so you don't spend more than you earn, and when the exceptions are (like home mortgage) etc etc.

And we should avocate for more facilities for the mentally ill - because we don't want people blowing up - literally - when it could be avoided. A lot of mentally ill know in advance they are about to go off the rails but there is no place for them to do it safely. We could save a lot of money on prison accomodation and compensation insurance if we have more facilities for the mentally ill. And I'm not talking about autistic people or aspergers people here, though they might benefit as well from more government funded psychologists and psychiatrists and neurologists.

I don't see any point in advocating testing or against testing for designer babies. The parents should be educated to know that the chances they have chosen a partner who is also aspie/autistic are really high so the chance that every single one of their babies will also have aspie/autistic traits are really high - but they'd be the perfect parents for training such a child to do well in the world. If they don't want the risk - they might as well adopt or get egg and sperm donors - and other family members will have the same risk so no point asking them.

The blame the vaccine people are deluded. There were aspieness and autism way before there were vaccines.

Seigneur
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2006, 10:23 pm

If the choice of whether to be cured was up to the autistic, I wouldn't care. But it isn't, it's up to their parents, psychiatrists and government, who often put their own interests first.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2006, 10:30 pm

In general I do not know of such things, however from personal experience and observing the deliquencies as well as abuses of the few in the system. I am more so thinking it should be private practice firms whom are in business and have more ethical accountability that should be funded instead of the system treating persons of autism.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Apr 2006, 11:54 pm

emc wrote:
http://www.gettingthetruthout.org/

http://www.gettingthetruthout.org/pageb013.html

I don't know if I like the picture on that 2nd page tho... :?

emc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2006, 1:26 am

From memory it is in response to the CAN campaign or similar it might have been Autism America?

Sorry I can't be bothered investigating, however I hope people read either the whole site or just the Asperger page otherwise they will be quite confused and/or disturbed.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 7:17 am

Here's something with an explanation of the origin of the site by the author (it was because of the ASA):

http://www.raggededgemagazine.com/depar ... 00677.html

And Alex, you have to read the whole thing. Don't stop because the first part annoys you.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2006, 4:37 pm

I have read all of those sites.

It's easy to hate, go up against or make bad larger organizations.