No, I'm different 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Sometimes/ it's ok/ doesn't matter 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 52

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 7:23 am

Stonecold wrote:
I hate having Asperger's syndrome. I was teased often in school. I'd do anything to be normal.

Try to let it bring out some good in you. Maybe you would be the one picking on people if you didn't have it.
Because I have it, I'm not the typical teenage girl (my parents say it's in a good way) (you know how they are today :thumbdown:)
I often wonder: Would I be like them If I didn't have Aspergers?
:)

Normal is bad, uniqueness is good. I think I'm gonna change my quote to that!!

BPalmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 8:02 am

In high school, kids frequently called me "psycho" and "ret*d", and one of them said I was "a reject with the girls" (which was true!) and that the maths teacher (who was quite vocal about his Christian faith) would regard me to be "possessed." And guess what? It doesn't necessarily get any better in the adult world. A few years ago, at a church's evening service, some guys in their early 20s, visiting from Sydney, were making joshing remarks about my alleged savant-like knowledge of their rail system 1000 km away... they could pick up son something being different about me. Last November, two roughnecks intimidated me and chased me through a shopping mall (in the 1 o'clock hour... broad daylight), after accusing me of looking disapprovingly of someone they weren't even with!

Several times, people in public have laughed at me for being very uneasy at them coughing their lungs out (usually not even covering their mouths) spreading a cold or flu. It's a pity the swine flu epidemic wasn't deadlier than it is, or the docile, ignorant public here might've been willing to learn to be considerate to others. In Japan, it's accepted to stay home, or wear a mask. Here, there's a macho, "harden up" mentality that has an element of sadism to it.

trojan51
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2010, 2:21 am

i think all of us have been bullied and ostracized. ive heard the bullying rate for people on the spectrum is 100% and i have no doubts on that statistic

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 3:43 am

Bullied even by my family.

Really doesnt say much about your average human

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2010, 7:53 am

Having that direct interest can have it's ups and downs..

Mine is sailplanes, engineless fiberglass flying machines. And where I come from(Thailand), they don't have gliding, and I'm not interested in things like my friends(soccor, fasion , W.O.W.). So in ways, I feel like entire Thailand is laughing behind my back on this and calling me a freak for liking gliders.

And you could be thinking, why not move to Germany or New Zealand, or the Alps? But in ways, there are many factors that make me prefer to live where I was born. Many factors. So it's tough. I'm getting gliding lessons in the UK by the end of this year. But the lengh of my stay won't be able to let me solo. It's irritating in my postion.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:56 am

I accept my aspergers as a part of myself that makes me the unique individual that I am and I accept other aspies/autistic people more readily than NT's-I cant take the NT drama that sometimes happens-I made a career of my special interest in electronics and I am happy-its just the way some NT people feel they can treat me as less of a person because I am not perfect and like themselves and get treated like a little kid when I am in a professional world.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2010, 10:59 am

this reminds of the time space ghost tells thom yorke that he is different. ... Just different. That's all I'm saying. Thom Yorke: "that's cuz you're weird."

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:43 am

People thought of me as "stupid". Whatever I did skilfully, people rarely gave it a thought. My grades were bad after a few years, because school work got me nothing in return. My peers thought that anything mean that they said, never "sunk in", because I didn't show it but with an on going frown. The adults told me to never react around them. (Thanks for nothing!)

My auditory problem was not noticed by the adults either, and how it caused issues with my in class work and tests. They felt that I was putting myself behind on purpose. Well, that was only somewhat true. After I entered into homeschooling, integrated with Christians, and had a close friend, then I greatly improoved. It would have made a huge difference if people just treated me more nicely, and understood me as a child in the first place.

All I had was Prozac, which made me high, because nobody understood. We had IQ tests twice, for nothing. I was in the 'not labeled different but not normal either' section. The guy who prescribed it was simply a moron, in my oppinion. They were sued out of business for prescribeing the wrong drugs, and miss-diagnosing a few too many people. :? Good ridance!