Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 2:08 pm

How many can't do this? I mean like tapping your feet to a song...or on another note...when you try to do something in unison with someone else...like stomping your feet or clapping your hands at the same time to a rhythm.

By the time my brain tells my feet or hands what to do it seems like I am the last one doing it. I used to dread school "pep" rallies in high school when they would lead sections of the class in cheers, I would end up getting laughed at every time. Just wondering if it's a common thing though...my Dad had the same problem.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 2:10 pm

I don't know didly squat about music such as chord progression and beats and measures

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 2:29 pm

I have rhyme!! !! !! !! !

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 2:39 pm

I studied this when I took music appreciation during my freshman year of college, but it doesn't usually cross my mind.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

veridicus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2006, 3:27 pm

My sense of rhythm is overall pretty shoddy, which is tragic to me because I love music and my lifelong ambition for a long time was to be a musician. Attempts at drumming usually left me frustrated and embarassed. My intrument of choice for a long time was guitar, but I could never get past the most basic rhythms...and keep them regular. I had a pretty good instinct for melody so I pitched myself more as a lead-guitar type, but it just overall never worked out because I could never find anyone who'd want to collaborate on the sorts of music I was interested in.

Anyway, yeah most rhythm-oriented activities are very frustrating to me due to my ineptness.

veridicus

05 Nov 2006, 3:30 pm

On a side note, I recall reading that John Cage was similarly rhythm-less, which is why a lot of his work sounds the way it does...he worked around his handicap.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 4:01 pm

Been there,

ESPECIALLY if you think about other things, you can't really do this. I don't think anyone can. It has to be like a trained response. MOST people have a problem with this, and THAT is why they have drum majors, conductors, metronomes, etc.... HECK, some music is geared off the drums!

Steve

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 4:21 pm

I actually have a very good sense of rhythm....Sometimes too good, and other people can find it really distracting.

veridicus

05 Nov 2006, 4:25 pm

Praise Bob

Taxi light shines so bright

costre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2006, 5:11 pm

You can always practice you rhythm by playing Stepmania :)
You can download the program and a couple of songs from my site, ftp://wrong:[email protected]:21

"StepMania-3.9.rar" file is the program.
"ddrmax.rar" The entire folder located in "ddrmax.rar" goes in the programs "songs"-folder. The songs will list when you start the game.

(Press enter two times when selecting a song for options!)
It's quite addictive!

Of course I eventually went overboard with the whole stepmania thing and rebuilt an entire DDR-cabinet to host a computer with stepmania, so I can dance-play to the songs ... But tapping with your fingers gets you less sweaty! :)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Nov 2006, 8:21 pm

Fogman wrote:
I actually have a very good sense of rhythm
i would agree if its about music, for me anyways. anything else forget it

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 9:08 pm

excellent feel for rhythm, here
The only time I run into a problem with it has been when I've messed around on a friends' drum kit. I just can't get the knack of getting 1 foot doing one thing, the other doing something else, and both arms doing something else entirely.
Guitar, tho, I'm a damned good rhythm guitarist... not so hot on lead.
Bass, same thing... pretty good bassist.

WildMan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2006, 12:22 am

I'm a multi-instrumentalist. I'm actually pretty good... but I don't know theory for squat. I just go by ear and what's flowing out of my mind and into my fingers.

But when I get behind the drums... all I can do is weird syncopated improv jazz type crap. I can't even keep a standard 4:4 Ringo Starr beat to save my life.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2006, 1:48 am

I have a very good sense of tempo.

ping-machine
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2006, 3:30 am

Actually I have a very good sense of rhythm, and I like to beat on table tops like drums to distract from annoying sounds or boring conversations.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2006, 10:51 pm

Hmm... I also have a very good sense of rhythm. That's the first thing that came out of my guitar teacher's mouth when I took my first lesson! But then, I'd been obsessing over this one song, playing it over and over...

I find I can hear rhythm in places where most people don't, as well. I think it's one of my "splinter-skills"...