Verbal Expressions That You Don't Get

Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 3:32 pm

What does it mean to "pay it forward"? Or to "circle the wagons"? I´ve never heard these 2 expressions, and I can´t figure out what they mean.

My uncle is getting a divorce, and recently I heard my aunt say that his wife is going to "take him to the cleaners". I imagined her accompanying him to the laundromat, and I wondered why an ex-wife would go through all that trouble? :P

One of my favorite expressions, though, is "don´t throw the baby out with the bathwater". I see a visual image of a miniature baby-like, doll-like thing being thrown into the grass along with the bathwater, and looking a little confused. But actually, once I learned what this expression means, it actually made sense to me.

I don´t like it when people say "that´s a bunch of malarcky". What the heck is malarcky, anyway? (And see- I can´t even spell it). I guess this is not a real expression, I just hate this word.

And when something bad happens, it irritates me when people say "you didn´t order this". Of course I didn´t "order this"! Why would I order anything that happens to me??? I just think of an order in a restaurant, and feel totally confused. ("I´ll have a white chocolate mousse with raspberry sauce please"). I had a very bad year last year, and quite a few people said "you didn´t order this". :?: Totally strange!

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2010, 4:09 pm

hmm, I only had trouble with the 'circle the wagons' (I think I figured it out though) in this thread. I have heard maybe 30-40% of these expressions before, and as my poor english suggests: I'm not a native speaker. My psychiatrist used to comment on me not being literal (an observation made at the age of 9 and 19 respectively) and using sarcasm, expressions, symbols and methapors with ease. I'm just wondering if there are any other aspies who belong to the same category i.e not being literal as a child as opposed to adjusting.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:26 pm

hellopuppy wrote:
Never liked or understood the rampant use of "What's up?"

I haven't either. I usually end up helping the person out, and reminding them that the sky (if outside) or the ceiling and roof (if inside) is up

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:34 pm

LOL

I never understood 'can't have your cake and eat it too', either

Or, the one about 'a bird in the hand'

But, most of all, what on earth does 'never look a gift horse in the mouth' mean ?? What in heck is a gift horse ????

A Thursday child ..

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 8:38 pm

'comparing apples to oranges' also seems .. not very bright. I could compare them pretty easily too, I think, Clyde.

Being told that 'others are going through this too' or phrases with any similar implications annoys the heck out of me, partly because I don't believe it, and partly because it just seems like an implication that I am covertly irrational, which I am not. I have a right to feel, express and be, whilst retaining my inner integrity and common sense and without being invalidated. :?

A Thursday child ..

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:30 pm

mysassyself wrote:
LOL

"a bird in the hand beats two in the bush" .. i'm guessing: one thing you have is better than two things you don't have, or similar

mysassyself wrote:
But, most of all, what on earth does 'never look a gift horse in the mouth' mean ?? What in heck is a gift horse ????

someone explained this to me once. something about horses having bad teeth. i think it means if someone gives you something you should appreciate it instead of finding its flaws. so a "gift horse" is a horse someone has given you as a gift. :scratch:

never heard "circle the wagons"

and "pay it forward" despite having heard people use it, i still don't understand.

dang - i'm gonna look these up.

don't look a gift horse in the mouth < also there's a good phrase dictionary

"a bird in the hand .."

"circle the wagons"

"pay it forward"

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

katzefrau wrote:
mysassyself wrote:
LOL

"a bird in the hand beats two in the bush" .. i'm guessing: one thing you have is better than two things you don't have, or similar

mysassyself wrote:

someone explained this to me once. something about horses having bad teeth. i think it means if someone gives you something you should appreciate it instead of finding its flaws. so a "gift horse" is a horse someone has given you as a gift. :scratch:

never heard "circle the wagons"

and "pay it forward" despite having heard people use it, i still don't understand.

dang - i'm gonna look these up.

"a bird in the hand .."

"circle the wagons"

"pay it forward"

:roll:
:lol:

That makes sense, though it still doesn't of course explain what a gift horse is, or more precisely, why on earth anyone would refer to it as such, or consider it a complementary item, seeing as horses are so expensive to keep. :D

I did wonder whether it was related to that tale of the trojan horse, actually, but I guess not.

Good explanation about the birds, btw.

I'm guessing also that 'What's up?' relates to 'What's happy?', meaning that when someone asks you what's up it means what's good for you right now ~ or, what's the most relevant issue; it could mean that as well I guess.

A Thursday child ..

katzefrau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:51 pm

mysassyself wrote:
That makes sense, though it still doesn't of course explain what a gift horse is, or more precisely, why on earth anyone would refer to it as such, or consider it a complementary item, seeing as horses are so expensive to keep. :D

maybe a gift horse is like a gift bag .. you get it on the way into a party, and there are presents inside it. so then, of course you'd want to look in its mouth! where else would it be hiding the gifts??

also .. birds live in bushes???

it would make more sense to say "a bird in a cage is worth two in a tree" but i would rather have two birds in a tree than one in a cage.

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 9:58 pm

exactly, katzefrau, I couldn't agree more. I find it perplexing to imagine birds in bushes. I mean, they're not stupid. What would they be doing in the middle of a bush ?

I also think your conception of a gift horse being like a gift bag is excellent. :lol:

A Thursday child ..

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm

mysassyself wrote:
'comparing apples to oranges' also seems .. not very bright. I could compare them pretty easily too, I think, Clyde.

Thank you. Finally someone who agrees.

I tried talking to this who I think are clearly normal people, and they are like "its an expression don't take it so literally" or "you can't change a literary expression stop whining over something useless"

Finally, I knew I wasn't the only person who thought "hey wait they are both fruits"

FalconFour
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Sep 2010, 10:16 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
hellopuppy wrote:
Never liked or understood the rampant use of "What's up?"

Me, too! Also, people who greet you with "How's it going?" How is WHAT going? :?

Wow... this one here is such a HUGE pet peeve of mine, I was actually inspired to register here just so I can "me-too" it. Those two, I hate them with such a passion - both "What's up" (and its little brother "Sup?"), and "How's it going?". I don't get it. I mean, in idle greeting chatter, I can sort of understand... a meaningless expression that prompts either the standard "good enough, you?" polite response. But when holding a door open for someone? Passing someone in a hallway? I don't know where people get the nerve to bolt this out like clockwork. "How's it goin?"... excuse me while I stop everything that both of us are doing, and explain how my life is going. I think not?

The rest of those abstract literary concepts, like "needle in a haystack" or "apples to oranges", they actually make sense in a literal way, if you actually think about what the words are representing... I mean, apples and oranges are the same in a category sense, but it's more sensible to compare one kind of apple with another, not compare an apple to an orange. Maybe like comparing a keyboard to a DVD burner. *shrug*

mysassyself
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm

Clyde wrote:
mysassyself wrote:

Thank you. Finally someone who agrees.

I tried talking to this who I think are clearly normal people, and they are like "its an expression don't take it so literally" or "you can't change a literary expression stop whining over something useless"

Finally, I knew I wasn't the only person who thought "hey wait they are both fruits"

Yes!! That is exactly what I think. I mean, when I hear that expression I just think of comparing apples and oranges ~ they'd both fit in a similar size container, both similar shape. Look at comparing apples and elephants and then you'd have more of a tricky situation.

A Thursday child ..

Clyde
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2010, 10:23 pm

FalconFour wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
The rest of those abstract literary concepts, like "needle in a haystack" or "apples to oranges", they actually make sense in a literal way, if you actually think about what the words are representing... I mean, apples and oranges are the same in a category sense, but it's more sensible to compare one kind of apple with another, not compare an apple to an orange. Maybe like comparing a keyboard to a DVD burner. *shrug*

I disagree with the apples and oranges bit. Because I could say:

"I like the red color of the apple over the orange color of the orange"

or

"I like the tart citrus flavor of the orange over the sweet gritty taste of apple"

rowingineden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Sep 2010, 10:37 pm

"Do what now?" (Southern US expression - it is a way of saying one does not understand what was just said, but it sounds like you told the person to go do something. I hate it.)

daspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2010, 12:39 am

Quote:

Horses are checked for their well being or health by checking their teeth.
If a horse is gifted then you it is not wise to do it. If you are buying then it is wise.
If means that if you get something for free or less price then it is not wise to check for quality. Like what people do while buying something in sale.
For language rules see http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 53#3030053

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2010, 1:12 am

"A different kettle of fish". This one is quite silly.

"Bee in your bonnet". I still don't understand what this one means.

"Pop the question". I think this might have something to do with marriage, but I'm not sure.

"Hook up". NT teens seem to frequently say this, but I still don't know what it means.

There's a book called "An Asperger Dictionary Of Everyday Expressions" that might be useful to a lot of people here. I know I would like to buy it one day.
http://www.amazon.com/Asperger-Dictiona ... 1843101521

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"