Page 2 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 9:11 pm

There are two reasons why I'm not big on wearing different outfits all the time:

1. due to my executive dysfunction, it takes a LOT of time and energy to think of something new to wear. It's so much easier to just wear the same thing until it needs washing.

2. I do my laundry in an electric bucket that holds 1 or 2 pieces of clothing or 4 sets of underwear. I dry my clothes on a wooden rack set up int he bathtub. I have never been able to manage more than 2 loads of laundry in one day, usually just one. Sometimes I get really ex. dys. and leave clothes in the bucket, in water for days, sometimes weeks. I have some black stuff that got sort of tie-dyed in lighter shades of grey from being left in the bucket for a few weeks. So laundry is a big ordeal and I like to keep it to a minimum.

And since I prefer to only hang just-washed clothes in the closet (clothes that are still clean enough to wear but have been worn are good at attracting moths and I hate it when my clothes get chewed up.) ít's easier to just keep wearing them until it's time to wash them and then pick something new out while they're washing.

I make a lot of my own clothes, so people probably really notice that I wear the same stuff for a long time because all my clothes are relatively unusual and not-store looking. But I don't really care much. I'm clean and that's all they shoudl care about.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 9:18 pm

I agree that it takes a long time to decide on something new to wear, even if you do it the night before. It's much easier to just wear the same thing. Plus, you know you'll be comfortable wearing it.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

MattTheTubaGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2010, 9:25 pm

yep, the colours of my clothes is basically all black, and greeny brown colours.
I wear track pants ALL the time, no matter what the weather is. they are just really comfortable, because they are quite stretchy.
I prefer sweat shirts with zip up pockets because I bike a lot, and I don't like the thought of stuff falling out of my pockets. a couple also are zip up, which I find quite useful, because I can just unzip it and put the pockets to the side when I play my tuba.
apart from the sweatshirts, I have nothing else that is zip up or button up, because it is just easier having pull on things.
unless it is a really hot day, I usually wear two t-shirts, or a t-shirt and skivvy.
I seem to have an endless supply of black socks, because they seem to get lost quite often, so I get more of them, then the lost ones turn up again.
I don't really have any 'brand' t-shirts, just several plain black ones, and a couple of green/brown long sleeved ones with random patterns on them, plus a few 'Australia' t-shirts. I also wear thermals in the winter most of the time.

some of my track pants and sweatshirts would be at least 5 years old, because I rarely get new clothes. My mum got me some new track pants for my birthday because the ones I had were getting really old and thin. I have too much clothes at the moment, because there are a few t-shirts and sweat shirts that I haven't worn for ages.
the only clothes I really need new ones of each so often are socks, because they seem to wear out quite quickly. :)

kwilky
Raven
Raven

01 Nov 2010, 9:29 pm

All my pants are the same color. I wear the same hoodie all the time. All my shirts are black. They have different pictures on them but you can't see the pictures very well because of the hoodie I wear all the time. I pretty much look the same every single day.

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

01 Nov 2010, 9:30 pm

Wow, this brought me back. When I was very young (between 3 and 5) I had one outfit that I wanted to wear every day. The original was the red velvet dress. The replacement was the blue tiered one. My mother made it a point to impress upon me that wearing the same thing every day was inappropriate and that stuck.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 9:42 pm

it's only a modern, western cultural convention that says it's wrong to wear the same thing everyday.

Look back in history, even relatively recently, and you'll see people wearing the same thing for many days in a row. Not just renaissance times, but as recently as the turn of the twentieth century people wouldn't say anything about people wearing the same clothes so long as they were clean and appropriate for the situation.

Owning and wearing tons of different clothes is a product of mass production. Now that clothes are so cheap (compare the cost of a pair of jeans today and in the 1970s in adjusted-for-inflation dollars and you'll see what I mean) it's expected that a person will have a whole closet full and rotate them frequently.

It's technologically-fueled consumerism driving cultural change. That's all.

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 10:39 pm

Yes, I do.
I don't like buying clothes because I keep ending up not feeling right in anything and so just stick with the same few clothes.

I'll wear coats/hooded shirts often but sometimes I don't like sleeves so at times I prefer vest coats. A vest with a t-shirt. I don't hate sleeves, I wear them, they can feel good to me, but at times they can bother me too.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 10:59 pm

I do too but once I start my book touring I will have to get out of my comfort zone and start wearing more a variety of clothes. I am who I am, but in some cases I need to conform, especially when dealing with something so huge like book tours.

Mir

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 11:42 pm

lionesss wrote:
I do too but once I start my book touring I will have to get out of my comfort zone and start wearing more a variety of clothes. I am who I am, but in some cases I need to conform, especially when dealing with something so huge like book tours.

When I was doing book signings I was in a different place each day so I don't think anyone noticed that I was wearing the same outfit all the time.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2010, 11:49 pm

I wear the same style of clothes everyday. Usually, jeans or khakis with a dress shirt .

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm

Same here - wearing same ol' clothes since I couldn't care less about fashion, shopping for clothes or what anyone thinks of it. As long as it's clean and it (still) suits me - I'll wear it, even if it's almost as old as I am. I have one pyjama that I was given in 8th grade and am still wearing it since I haven't grown much since then. :lol: I think it's a waste of time, energy and money to think of clothes more than half a minute per day.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2010, 11:55 pm

I'll wear the same jeans and jacket/hoodie but I like to change things up whenever I can.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 12:04 am

I have too many clothes and lot of them I don't even wear. I quit buying clothes because I have enough of them so I don't even bother looking at them. I wear different clothes everyday but I am usually in my pajamas all day if I don't ever leave my apartment. I also wear my same pants everyday pretty much and I wear different tops with it when I go for my walk. Sometimes I wear the same thing the next day because I don't want to stand there and decide what to wear. I hate making decisions.

I just consider myself too lazy to decide what to wear and to even bother getting dressed unless I am leaving my apartment.

billybud21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:09 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I love wearing the same clothes every day. They're clean and everything, I wash them regularly. I wear one outfit for a couple of weeks if possible. If not possible, I cycle through the same three or four outfits. This makes it difficult to be present among fashionable people because they will notice and talk among themselves. My outfits look normal, jeans t-shirts and sweaters. It's a source of secret stress for me when anyone comments despite the fact no one knows any good reason why people must wear a lot of different outfits. Work is absolute hell because of the need to wear different clothes each day. One job I had everyone had to wear the same identical white factory garments and my stress level went way down from that alone. Every worker was given three garments and no one noticed that I always wore only the same one. When I have to go out to social functions I try to always keep my jacket on, saying I'm cold, because it hides what I'm really wearing and no one expects you to change your jacket all the time. Wearing the same jacket daily is okay but wearing the same sweater is not. This illogical and mysterious rule is responsible for many problems and has no known redeeming features.

Wow! It is great to hear from someone else that does a similar thing. I wear the same two types of shirts, either t-shirts or polos from Lands' End 100% cotton, jeans (Costco) 100% cotton, gray socks (Starter) 85% cotton - 15% polyester, boxers (Costco) 100% cotton and Brooks running shoes. That is what I wear every day. I love wearing the pants multiple days, but I always wear different socks, underwear and shirts. In the summer I substitute Lands' End shorts (100% cotton) for the the jeans. I wear all of these clothes because they are comfortable, no tags and don't rub me wrong.

If I have to dress up, I freak out. I never know what to where to semi-formal or formal events. Anything that falls outside of my routine with clothes really throws me for a loop and can cause lots of anxiety and a meltdown.

-Johnathan

meaningless
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2010, 1:17 am

I don't wear the same clothes everyday, but my wardrobe is pretty limited. I basically alternate (lately, anyway) between black shirts and brown shorts and brown shirts and black shorts. I just don't care how I look really, as long as I look merely adequate; good enough.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2010, 1:34 am

I once worked at an office where the women wore everyday a different outfit . I tried to do it every three days to better blend in.
Now I work at home and I can wear what I want all the time.
Practically everything I own is black and stretchy. I have several identical dresses and shoes. If I like something very much I do a search on ebay and buy the same over and over.