Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

tenderisthenight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 12:40 pm

Hi, I've stumbled across this website for more information about Aspergers. I'm a twenty year old male, and lately I've come to terms that something may not be right with me. Psychology is a huge passion of mine; I plan to study it in university next year. I'm pretty much a normal guy: I'm not extremely popular, but I do have friends, and have similar interests to them. I have one fault: I struggle, though not terribly, with body language and social situations. I'm very bad with eye contact, and often get this "what are you" look. The little bit of body language that I give off, shows to people that I'm "stuck-up" or insensitive; I can tell this because I actually read body language exceptionally well. However, this insensitivity is not true of me at all; although I'm usually good at giving people great advice and I enjoy/want to help them, I can hardly respond to their emotions. I've worked many different jobs, mostly in kitchens, and some people I talk to a great deal, while other I don't talk to at all; this makes me seem even more "stuck-up" to them. I'm good-looking, romantic, nice, and faithful, but I've had very few girlfriends in my life - the ones that I've had, friends always tell me I can do way better (I guess in terms of looks.) And I've often been cheated on, mislead, manipulated, etc. The things that I'm extremely interested in are more like obsessions - I want to know everything about them. Does this sound like Aspergers to you?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm

Do this: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

If it says you probably have Asperger's, go see your doctor.

We can't tell you whether or not you have Asperger's from a single forum post.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:49 pm

Yeah, it's always tough to tell from a single post. Everyone has some Asperger's traits. A lot of them are vague.

tenderisthenight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 1:04 pm

Thank you guys. I only managed to score 19 on that test. I've taken others like it, but never scored high enough to be considered (according to the test of course) an apsie. Maybe I'm just super paranoid.

candp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 1:17 pm

Quote:

Should you mention this test when you go to see a doctor? The man who designed it seems legit. (I ask because I keep getting a 42...)

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 1:18 pm

candp wrote:
Quote:

Should you mention this test when you go to see a doctor? The man who designed it seems legit. (I ask because I keep getting a 42...)

Yeah, it's pretty reputable as far as online autism tests go.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 1:44 pm

Whether you do or not, it sounds like you have some concerns about your pragmatic speech. See a speech therapist (find one who knows about pragmatics) and ask for an evaluation - I don't know if they do pragmatic speech therapy for adults, but it's worth looking into.

http://autism.about.com/od/autismterms/g/pragspeech.htm

florian99
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

You may have something else, although it is difficult to say. You said that you are very good at reading body language, which is quite untypical of AS. Personally, after years of trying to figuring out others' body language, I am still very mediocre at it.

Plywood
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2010, 3:00 pm

I got a 27, that's like right in the middle.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 5:36 pm

tenderisthenight wrote:
Maybe I'm just super paranoid.

As your brain surgeon, I prescribe an extended course of coffee and tv. :wink:

The year is still young.