Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

costre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2006, 1:43 pm

Hello.
I have collected quite a few pieces of videomaterial over the years. I come across them here and there, and the ones I find interesting I keep.
Lately, I have been gathering videos from shows on the brain and it's functions. I saw doctor Ramachandran was mentioned in a thread about mirror neurons. He frequent these shows, so I thought "Why not put these videos up for all you to download?"

There are lots of interesting things going on in these videos. Some of them are about brain areas and their functions. You get to meet people with damaged parts of their brains and see how it affect their lives.
You get to meet people with amazing abilities such as counting and memorizing. You get to meet Kim Peek (the real "Rainman"). There's some autistic people talking about their condition. You even get to see people with epilepsy have brain surgery while fully awake!
It's all really fascinating! I get excited just talking about it :)

As we all pretty much have one type of brain in common, I think it benefits us to watch people who also have different brains. It lets you feel you're not alone, and that being different is not always a bad thing!

The main question to the WP admins is, I don't know if it's illegal to put up on the web. Most of the material has been recorded from british TV ...
I will await an answer, and if it's OK, I will provide you all with a link to the videos. If the admins want to watch the material beforehand, that's no problem.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2006, 4:28 pm

I can't see how this material is offensive and provided they aren't pirate copies or you trying to make money out of it then I don't see it as being a problem. It all sounds very fascinating actually. You might want to double check what Ive said with Alex though.

costre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2006, 12:39 pm

No reply from Alex, I'm taking the matter in my own hands :)

Please visit http://costre.mine.nu for the videos.

I can't guarantee the download speed as it is my private line. It's 100 Mbit, but I'm sure there are quite a few bottlenecks on the way to you guys.

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2006, 2:15 pm

Nice one! Getting the first video now...

VS Ramachandran did a really good series of lectures for the BBC, they're available to listen to here. (Realplayer required, ugh)

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

12 Jun 2006, 12:12 am

Neat. Have you heard of the ABC Radio podcast "All in the Mind"?

klassobanieras
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jun 2006, 2:01 pm

About halfway through these, and enjoying them a lot.
Did you catch the documentary about Temple Grandin last week on BBC2?
BTW, the link to the 2nd Ramachandran video is missing a '/'.

costre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2006, 4:29 am

OK, I forgot I had an old ftp linked to this hostname. My firewall is going crazy ...
I have renamed it http://costresplanet.mine.nu/

I have corrected the broken links

Stoke
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2006, 10:07 am

Just wanted to say thanks for putting up the video's. I have watched several and enjoyed them.