autism and taking on a different identity?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

babybuggy32
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2010, 4:59 pm

it seems that some autistics seem to take on a different identity of some sorts. some seem to act and make noises like various animals. and some take on the identity of say a celebrity (usually an obscure one at that) and some even have what is called object sexuality. i never exhibited any of these peculiar behaviors and im just wondering if this means i am not autistic. i don't really have obsessions either. also i hate routine. is anyone else like that here? and i cannot stand repetition! i can't even watch the same movie more than once usually. unless it's one i love then maybe i can watch it once in a while. is anyone else like this?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 5:04 pm

Are you talking about mimicry? Mimicking something or someone is not quite the same as adopting an identity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:03 pm

I mimicked the punk rockers of the late 70s for a couple of years. It got old, very quickly. I got so sick of it in the end, last summer that I went back to just being myself.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:18 pm

I often mimic Darth Vader. And I am far more comfortable in a routine than without one.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:21 pm

babybuggy32 wrote:
i don't really have obsessions either. also i hate routine. is anyone else like that here? and i cannot stand repetition! i can't even watch the same movie more than once usually. unless it's one i love then maybe i can watch it once in a while. is anyone else like this?

well , i am! i know i would need a routine ( if only to keep my house clean) but i detest it. i don't like feeling forced to do anything. and i can't watch a movie more than once except if i really loved it and i watched it some time ago, i couldn't see the same movie twice in the same year for example. celebrity crushes....i don't know, i might qualify for that a bit, although it's not a crush, and certainly not a popular pop star of today, but he used to be a special interest of mine as a very young child, and i always kept his music as the soundtrack of my life. no name disclosures though :P
but that's about the only thing i qualify for in your "weird list". For the rest i am like you, and never took the singer in question's clothing style of whatever else. just the music.

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Dec 2010, 8:22 pm

Sometimes, when I'm around a person for a long time I start to become somewhat like them. I start to adopt some of their mannerisms or start to say the same phrases that they say. I'm not sure why I do this I just do & I really don't mean to. Is this what you mean by mimicry? Also, it seems like I have different personalities for different moods. I'm not crazy, that's just the way it is. Perhaps my personality is just way too complex & that's why I do that.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2010, 8:31 pm

druidsbird wrote:
I often mimic Darth Vader. And I am far more comfortable in a routine than without one.

So how's that force choke working for you?

sadalgerian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2010, 7:19 am

i want call befor know that i have an AS

i resisted myself and i had realy a way of communication with others

after know that i have

i dont resist but i get information about communication and emotion skills

it is what we have not ( on the contrary than others)