Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 3:03 am

I've taken to rubbing my face rapidly clockwise with the palm of my left hand. I'm aware I'm doing it but it's as though I'm compelled to do it several times before stopping it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

I was thinking it's a new stim but if you feel compelled to do it several times it may be OCD running with a stimming behavior.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:58 am

I've had some strange stims (maybe tics?) come and go over the years. Since balding, I've taken to drumming my fingers on my bonce (I've been a bass-player for years, so rather forcefully sometimes); and I don't know what the hell I ever used to do with my hands before I grew my beard out - I just can't leave the damned thing alone some days. There's another, which I can only describe as "gurning", which I have done for as long as I can remember, but it only seems to pop up unexpectedly at random, sometimes with months in between - I just have to pull the most extreme facial expressions that I can for a few seconds, and I've never discerned any specific trigger for it (if someone told me that my eyebrows just get bored sometimes, it would be as believable an explanation as any other.)

If there are no particular thinking patterns associated with it, then it may be something along similar stimmy lines (stress tends to increase stimming in general, of course). Other kinds of tics, I don't know enough to comment about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:59 am

Most people, in my experience, are not observant enough to notice "little stims."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 10:53 am

If you do it in the privacy of your home, and if doesn't damage a part of your body (ie like some compulsive habits- cutting would be an extreme example) then - you might outgrow it, or you might not, but even if you dont its not much to worry about.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 2:02 am

firemonkey wrote:
I've taken to rubbing my face rapidly clockwise with the palm of my left hand. I'm aware I'm doing it but it's as though I'm compelled to do it several times before stopping it.

What do you mean by that and could it be you stimming?