Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 7:29 pm

I often have bouts where I cannot communicate even coming on here would be too emotionally draining, does anyone else go through periods like this?

fromamegaverse
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2018, 8:00 pm

Yes. I find it's the worst when I've been to a big social event or interacted with too many people in a week. What you're talking about is basically a sensory processing hangover. *Have you tried blocking out sound and visual input for a while? I find a quite, dark room, headphones with beta waves on and a sleeping mask help me get through it.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 8:30 pm

even though it may seem to me to be a bit cliché (things i try to avoid these days), whenever I have one those bad days, i just curl up either on the floor furthest away from any sort of noises and cover my ears as if I were a kid escaping my parents, something you wouldn't imagine a grown man doing but I guess i'm an exception because I have my sensory issues.

Theretheirtheyre
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2018, 2:13 pm

I get this all the time. It's quite horrible, especially when you live with a lot of other people who don't understand an get upset when you can't communicate. I know you may not always be able to, but maybe you could put on some earphones and lay in the dark. Or maybe pace, or rock. Those help. If you don't like the dark, maybe get a dimming lamp, that way you have some light, but it's not hurting your eyes.

Sometimes, my voice gets cut off. Where you cannot speak, no matter how badly you wish to. Maybe carry around cards to let people around you aware of what's going on if you must be around them. I'm sorry for your difficulties. Apologies.

Good luck.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 2:21 pm

Yes, I feel the same way.

Wreck It Ralph

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

I get that a lot. I feel my confidence doing mundane tasks like walking down the street in crowded places is improving.

On the other hand going into shops or takeout places to do a cash transaction can be too much for me to face if I think the person serving looks really sociable.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 6:29 pm

Communicating can be exhausting and sometimes a break under the covers is just what is needed. I am still trying to recover from Friday difficult communications.

Scorp, I have been known to go outside and huddle under a bush.