Is there name for this set of symptoms?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

so_subtly_strange
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2011, 11:02 am

I have found specific names for most of the common activities/symptoms particularly associated with ASDs, except one. It has several manifestations, but i could most generally describe it as a sensation of energy (sorry cant think of a better word for it) emminating from my head. Usually directly the top, but occasionally one side or the other, usually around the ears (if on the side). Also sometimes around my eyes. It then comforts me to either simply touch, or sometimes put pressure on where i percieve the sensation to be flowing from. Often i feel the need to touch with extended index finger (by laying the finger flat against), my nose, forehead, or top of my head, sometimes running my finger along this sort of imaginary line. Sometimes the energy/ pressure is more demanding and i feel the need to press my palm, or sometimes both against the top of my head. I recall in earlier adolescence that there were times that the feeling would become overbearing that i would need to press my head against the wall or floor for several minutes, occasionally as long as a half an hour. I think i would attribute this to at this period i knew of no reason for the sensation and would suppress apeasing it until i was in a place that no one could see what i was doing. I never thought to question the reason for this activity, it was just something that had to be done. Since as of recently discovering the existence of Aspergers and my likely place in it, i have noticed that satisfying these sensations often helps me focus my train of thought.
I know the finger-to-forehead thing i have seen others with Autism preform, so i think it is an Autistic characteristic, so wondering if there is a specific name for it or more information about it.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:20 am

No. I'm pretty sure this is not an AS thing, but rather a unique issue to you.