Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:24 pm

... doesn't it just make it worse when someone is practically having a monologue on the subject of "you have to communicate with me in some way..." right in your face?

That happened today.

She (special education teacher) just kept talking and talking to me about how I should communicate... while I was in the midst of the hell that is also known as a shutdown.

I want to be left in quiet at that time, so I can calm down, but that is virtually impossible at school, which is where 99% of my shutdowns occur. However, this was only my third one since August, so I am doing quite well. What brought it on today was sensory overload from all of the noise combined with having to work in a group and participate, and I just couldn't handle it.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:29 pm

And that lady calls herself a Special Education teacher :roll:

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 4:33 pm

Aw. That is very frustrating.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 6:57 pm

YES. What an idiot! Why did she think you were shut down!?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2011, 11:19 pm

that is one of the many reasons i am homeschooled

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 11:28 pm

She just ignored me yesterday (the day after I wrote the original post.)

Ah, well.

otmommy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2011, 8:30 pm

Hi, I'm a mom of a 4 year old who probably has Aspergers and who frequently experiences sensory overload. I also happen to be an OT. I've had to do a lot of advocating for my kid, as well as the kids I work with on a professional level.

Has anyone discussed these shutdowns with the teacher at a time when one ISN'T occuring? Is there a chance that if you (or a parent or other advocate) discusses the causes of one of those episodes with her, that you could come up with some sort of signal that is known only to the two of you to let her know that is happening, and you could come up with an acceptable way to get your needs met so that you can recover (and maintain your dignity!) and then carry on with your day?

For example, if the trigger is sensory overload and you need quiet or space, can you have that written down on an index card so you can hand it to her or turn it face up on your desk, so you don't need to have a conversation about it. If you discuss this ahead of time, maybe she can work with the office or nurses office staff to provide you with a quiet place to do your work until you are re-organized?

And excellent news on how well you are doing this year, by the way!