Life of the disabled in third world countries.

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:27 pm

Not that I consider AS a disability, but the bitter Indian fellow the other night touched a bit on the issue of life in 3rd world countries.

Here is what becomes of the mentally and physically disabled in Kenya, which is one of the more developed countries in Africa.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02 ... tml?hpt=C1

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:31 pm

I saw that article. Some of the comments people posted were appalling.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:40 pm

A nation that doesnt treat it's gays well isnt likely to treat anyone else who is different well either. Gay issues are often more visible so I think they are a kind of the canary in the coal mine

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 11:08 pm

Those comments are bad! I don't think I have ever seen anybody be so crude, immorral, or inconsiderate! ...And I went to high school!
This is truly why I hate people as much as I do. They think other's handicapps are the only way for a good laugh. :evil:

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Feb 2011, 12:17 am

I believe "never read the comments" is an internet rule. It can be enlightening as to general attitudes.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2011, 12:33 am

That's typical of the life of the disabled through most of the pages of human history. Many would be more fortunate to die of complications in infancy.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:48 am

I think that is so sad and as for the comments, I have too much of a short attention span to read them.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:56 am

Reading how the people are hidden away and forced to deal with things without any help at all from anyone makes my heart sink. I read some of the article and felt really depressed. With lack of funding, neglect can happen. Maybe we are one step away from going back to that in this country (US) with all the budget shortfalls.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Feb 2011, 1:19 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Reading how the people are hidden away and forced to deal with things without any help at all from anyone makes my heart sink. I read some of the article and felt really depressed. With lack of funding, neglect can happen. Maybe we are one step away from going back to that in this country (US) with all the budget shortfalls.

Refusal to implement taxes that would ensure funding exists. Pretend that money for government programs is inelastic as costs increase.

In Washington State Republicans have been trying for years to trash the disability lifeline program, which is pretty much how disabled people can get expedited access to medical care as well as a small monthly payment. They also assist with a handful of other things.

That is to say, I think we're always one step away from this.

KBerg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2011, 1:41 am

simon_says wrote:
A nation that doesnt treat it's gays well isnt likely to treat anyone else who is different well either. Gay issues are often more visible so I think they are a kind of the canary in the coal mine

Very true. I've had people look surprised that I feel as strongly as I do about gay rights or surrounding myself with LGBTQ friends/acquaintances once they find out I'm not gay... but really, you're right, they are kind of the canary in the coal mine. Once someone starts going on about how they shouldn't have rights I know it's a matter of just one conversation switch before they start saying people like me should be taken out and shot - usually without realizing what I am since people like that have very distorted views of 'those people' and can't imagine us looking so normal or being able to hold conversations.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:23 pm

That country cant even take care of its own healthy citizens how do you expect them to be able to care for their disabled?

Its not a question of morality but resources. :(

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:50 pm

Dantac wrote:
That country cant even take care of its own healthy citizens how do you expect them to be able to care for their disabled?

Its not a question of morality but resources. :(

The isolation is a matter of morality. A community that shuns its disabled has a moral issue.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 5:57 pm

Verdandi wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Refusal to implement taxes that would ensure funding exists. Pretend that money for government programs is inelastic as costs increase.

In Washington State Republicans have been trying for years to trash the disability lifeline program, which is pretty much how disabled people can get expedited access to medical care as well as a small monthly payment. They also assist with a handful of other things.

That is to say, I think we're always one step away from this.

In some states, maybe, but not in every state. Since the economy is on a steady decline, people are spending less, there's less sales tax revenue. Less work means less taxation on paychecks. It's a downward spiral. States that weren't having budget problems are now experiencing them. It can rapidly become a widespread, catastrophic problem as many states grapple where to cut costs at once.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:04 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
In some states, maybe, but not in every state. Since the economy is on a steady decline, people are spending less, there's less sales tax revenue. Less work means less taxation on paychecks. It's a downward spiral. States that weren't having budget problems are now experiencing them. It can rapidly become a widespread, catastrophic problem as many states grapple where to cut costs at once.

I'm talking about taxing the top 10-20% and corporations more. That's where the money is. I do not mean taxing the people who don't have more money, as that's one part of the problem, and in no way a solution. The money is there, it's mainly being hoarded at levels that don't benefit the rest of the nation.

There are other problems as well - income failing to keep pace with cost of living, for example, or the government's definition of poverty level.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:13 pm

Verdandi wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I'm talking about taxing the top 10-20% and corporations more. That's where the money is. I do not mean taxing the people who don't have more money, as that's one part of the problem, and in no way a solution. The money is there, it's mainly being hoarded at levels that don't benefit the rest of the nation.

There are other problems as well - income failing to keep pace with cost of living, for example, or the government's definition of poverty level.

Oh yeah, I do think they should tax the rich and corporations, but, there's a huge movement against that at the moment. Conservatives say it kills jobs so they fight it tooth and nail. Why not raise taxes a little bit, then bring them back down when the economy improves?
The state I am in wants to lower state income tax by a paltry amount, by a fifth of a percent or something. It's ridiculous to even consider tax cuts when they are so short on revenues, imo.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:28 pm

Yeah, and also even just eliminating the loopholes that allow most corporations to pay zero in taxes. I hear some of them pay zero and then even manage to get a refund; literal corporate welfare.