Who here lives completely off their parents?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 4:51 pm

I have had two jobs before: Two summers ago (June 2004 to August 2004), I worked as a "merchandise and customer assistance associate" at Sears and was paid $6.55 per hour for that thankless job. Before that, in June of 2002 (if I am not mistaken), I worked at the grill of a Jack in a Box, making $6.50 per hour. I couldn't stand the heat and pace at that fast-food restaurant, so I quit after five weeks. I have been trying to get a job where I can actually make enough money to buy a my own car, pay my tuition, and basically become financially indendent with no success so far.

My current living situation is in one of my university's residence halls; it is cramped and offers no privacy at all. On breaks I live at home with my mom, stepfather, brother (also in college), and sister (will be in college next fall). My mom and dad pay for a good part of my tuition and board right now, but I would like to change that if I can find a job I can tolerate. I am going to try harder to find a Web or software development internship or Web design position so that I have a good source of income over my winter break in January. I'd like to have steady income. I have tried launching a freelance Web design and development business, hoping to start small, but have not gotten any clients yet. I am going to talk to a couple of my professors about updating their course websites, though. I'd like to make some money that way.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:00 pm

Techstep, you twice voted for the biggest leeches of the system the USA has ever seen so no lectures please. I will work as soon as i get a job that rewards me for my efforts and lets me live a decent standard of living and not before. I wont work as a lacky, busting a gut for peanuts while being treated like a dog. I have done this for too long and will not resort to it again. Looks like being disabled to an extent has its good points too. :wink:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:23 pm

eamonn wrote:
I wont work as a lacky, busting a gut for peanuts while being treated like a dog. I have done this for too long and will not resort to it again. Looks like being disabled to an extent has its good points too. :wink:

Lol, well, get your government cheese then. Looks like me and the other people who don't take that rout will have to spend the extra tax dollars supporting you. I mean do what makes you happy, I just have major qualms with that myself. Most people will work, even if they're lackeys working for peanuts, because they see it as the only honorable way - I guess I'm kinda old fashion like that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:26 pm

eamonn wrote:
Techstep, you twice voted for the biggest leeches of the system the USA has ever seen so no lectures please.

Lol, I can't argue with that. Evidently if you say it with that much conviction it must be true :lol:

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, well, get your government cheese then. Looks like me and the other people who don't take that rout will have to spend the extra tax dollars supporting you. I mean do what makes you happy, I just have major qualms with that myself. Most people will work, even if they're lackeys working for peanuts, because they see it as the only honorable way - I guess I'm kinda old fashion like that.

Honourable to let rich politicians and corporate managers make a skivvy out of me while they continue to sit on their fat arses giving themselves payrises?

Last edited by eamonn on 24 Sep 2005, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, I can't argue with that. Evidently if you say it with that much conviction it must be true :lol:

Yes continue laughing. I bet Bush is laughing at you and all the other sheep.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 5:46 pm

eamonn wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Yes continue laughing. I bet Bush is laughing at you and all the other sheep.

Lol, your right, I'm completely incapable of having a thought for myself. That's exactly what it is. Then again, better to have that scenario and commonly known food allergins like aspartame still legal than have a commander and chief who's working for an election base that thinks we can have the world like us by just being more liberal and sensitive (sad to see how that's been working out for London). I just believe in Maslows heirarchy of needs and while all the higher up stuff is nice, I can't vote for a party that just wishes a way or won't believe in the threats to the lowest level like national security. I know, I know, I'll be hearing replies that Al Queda and Hamas are peaceful organizations, that either Bush flew the plains into the towers to start a false war or that we're so brutal on the rest of the world that we made em do it with our foreign policy. Trouble is, no matter how much I try to look at the facts supporting all that it just flows way too much against human nature, self interest, and probable odds. Especially hearing Bin Laden talking about americans being married to weakness and running away - was that one of Bush's cronies speaking another language so well that he passed the voice analysis as Bin Laden and everything? Probably...

As for being corporate fodder though laws are changing and I mean changing a lot. Yeah, jobs are moving out of the U.S. but thats no more republicans than it is democrats.

Sorry to take this all on a political tangent but I guess I just have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when people wanna get arrogane with me about politics.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 6:02 pm

you're the arrogant one, voting for a politician that has no concept of middle ground. Yes there was anti-american feeling in the middle east (due in some part to financial support of Israel and propping up corrupt regimes, Americas terrorist actions and brutal policies) but by invading Iraq and the "either with us or against us" attitude Bush and co have made things ten times worse in the middle east and have made a lot of the rest of the world anti-american too.

You have twice voted in a regime that doesnt care about the cost of lives at home or particularly abroad, a country with a large proportion of the worlds wealth but yet 10% of people there live under the poverty line and you're choice of party makes tax CUTS to big businessmen while there is this abject poverty and you call me arrogant?

By invading Iraq Bush has left America in a weaker position on Nuclear weapons. Lots of countries have took this oppurtunity to invest and speed up nuclear weapons programs knowing that the US is too busy in Iraq and Afghanistan to want to go to war too easily.

It wasnt about world security though, it was about taking more money in taxes and making money for Bush and his cronies in the form of Oil, arms and construction in Iraq. Billions of dollars have dissapeared in Iraq. Some keeping local politicians happy but most of it has been re-directed to the pockets of crooked rich Americans.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 6:33 pm

Lol, ok, I think I get it. Even though you kinda started this conversation down the path its on, I'm arrogant because your views on the mechanics of what's going on are superior to mine.
Pretty much most of what your said though, at least what was true, was the better of two alternatives. Life's full of lose-lose situations like that and the best you can do is take the most mitigating course of action. I'm not gonna tell you to rethink your position on anything because evidently you have your way of weighing things, your facts that you believe over others, and your way of putting two and two together. Thats why I usually try not to argue politics, everyone's realities and how they put the facts are that scattered that there's no set of facts built well enough to convince people - no one weights it all the same and in the end it's just a waste of breath and/or keystrokes.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 6:41 pm

You brought up politics first. You mentioned leeches off the system. I happen to think that rich businessmen and politicians are the biggest leeches off the system and that under a fairer system of government, pretty much everyone would want to work. Big businessmen etc getting big payrises while the people further down the scale dont even get raises in line with inflation. You projected your views about those on benefits in a rather arrogant fashion so i made my views about the situation known as well. You first insulted me by calling me arrogant as well, a common troll tactic. Even your signature is rather arrogant. I dont see anyone else here projecting their views onto others so blatantly in the form of a political sig.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 6:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, well, get your government cheese then. Looks like me and the other people who don't take that rout will have to spend the extra tax dollars supporting you.

Better that than me taking off of sheep like you directly/indirectly through highly illegal means. Which is what i would do if forced into that position. See how a liberal policy on benefits might be helpful to your average working person and society now?

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 10:11 pm

Just to let you know, I think your debate is getting a little bit off-topic.

As for the question at hand, I am still living at home, but looking forward to moving away, at least for college in a little bit less than a year. :)

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 10:25 pm

eamonn wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Lol, well, get your government cheese then. Looks like me and the other people who don't take that rout will have to spend the extra tax dollars supporting you.

Better that than me taking off of sheep like you directly/indirectly through highly illegal means. Which is what i would do if forced into that position. See how a liberal policy on benefits might be helpful to your average working person and society now?

In an utra conservative society, you'd get shot for that and then I could keep some more of my tax dollars and stuff. :P I am saying this as an unemployed (hopefully not too much longer) person who refuses to use government support in favor of independent and ceative (legal) means.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 11:54 pm

Sean wrote:
In an utra conservative society, you'd get shot for that and then I could keep some more of my tax dollars and stuff. :P I am saying this as an unemployed (hopefully not too much longer) person who refuses to use government support in favor of independent and ceative (legal) means.

Yes but in that society there would be guns handed out easy and id be able to pick off a few conservatives first. So your unemployed. Obviously your parents are keeping you then. I wouldnt want to burden mine like that. I have some self-respect.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 12:51 am

eamonn wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I'm a business major and I'm learning exactly how it all works, part of my job as an auditor will probably be putting guys like Dennis Koslowski in jail for management fraud. You can blame the big four and the AICPA for that one more than you can the government though. Accounting was almost completely self-regulated untill Sarbanes Oxley 2002 set the PCAOB in charge of public accounting firms and to make sure white collar criminals ended up in federal prison.

As for liars, thieves, big business, ripping people, off - that's both conservatives and democrats. The right just happens to emphasise national security as a more urgent priority than the left and means to stick it out in Iraq.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2005, 1:02 am

eamonn wrote:
You projected your views about those on benefits in a rather arrogant fashion so i made my views about the situation known as well.

Just those who don't need em.

eamonn wrote:
You first insulted me by calling me arrogant as well, a common troll tactic. Even your signature is rather arrogant. I dont see anyone else here projecting their views onto others so blatantly in the form of a political sig.

Well, as it is I feel like I'm the only one who actuall has the beliefs I do. I used to not bang pots and pans but I've seen way too much 'hate Bush' arround here, even moreso at Aspie Hangout, and it just got me fed up. If liberals can do it, I can't see why it's so incorrect that I do it.

As for being a troll, no, I just have some pretty strong opinions and it seems you, I, and half the people arround here are no strangers to that. I'm a nice guy for the most part but when it comes to politics and political debate I guess I can get a little heated.