Page 7 of 39 [ 615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 39  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

14 Apr 2011, 1:36 am

kfisherx wrote:
In 1:1 social situations I think that largely I am "intentionally rude" to people. I am in a place in life where I can actually "bully" people and I do it to some extent to avoid small talk situations. To be fair, I did not recognize it as bullying until I started to go to therapy. My first shrink told me that I "abused my IQ" with people. This statement made no sense to me when he first made it especially since I did not realize at the time how gifted I was. Since then I have gained understaning where I stand and how incredibly blind I have been about this. In thinking things through over the past months I realize he is right.

When I am faced with 1:1 small talk I have several "rude" tactics I employ in my "subtle" but very consious way.

1. One is that I will just give them a "look" (like I cann't believe they are talking to me and how stupid they must be) and refuse any comment.
2. Avoidance works as well and is my most commonly used one. I can do it at events as well as in work situations
- by walking away or not looking at people coming towards you.
-Alternately you can just interupt their intro with a comment about how you have to leave now while apologoizing profusely
- At work, I will just control the meeting and tell people where to sit and launch right into the "work" part never giving small talk a chance
3. Being exceptionally "terse" in replys will make them squirm and eventually leave you alone
4. NEVER give eye contact lest they actually think you care
5. Here is my favorite... Go into a technical monologue and when they cannot keep up, make them feel stupid with replies like, "huh?" and look at them like they are stupid. Or better actually say that they are stupid. (I did this in the first session where he disallowed the monologue and then last week when I said his statement was "stupid" and he "coached" me through ways to NOT come right out and say that word. In doing this that tactic was taken from me on the fly.)

Reading this is making me uncomfortably self-conscious.

I have done things very much like this, when I was more involved with stuff involving direct interaction with other people. I also do some of this online. I... hmm. Damn. I usually didn't call people stupid, but I would often call their opinions stupid, and then be confused when they took it as a personal attack.

Best of wishes with next appointment. Your posts here are really good and I look forward to more after tomorrow's.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 9:09 am

kfisherx wrote:
In 1:1 social situations I think that largely I am "intentionally rude" to people. I am in a place in life where I can actually "bully" people and I do it to some extent to avoid small talk situations. To be fair, I did not recognize it as bullying until I started to go to therapy. My first shrink told me that I "abused my IQ" with people. This statement made no sense to me when he first made it especially since I did not realize at the time how gifted I was. Since then I have gained understaning where I stand and how incredibly blind I have been about this. In thinking things through over the past months I realize he is right.

When I am faced with 1:1 small talk I have several "rude" tactics I employ in my "subtle" but very consious way.

1. One is that I will just give them a "look" (like I cann't believe they are talking to me and how stupid they must be) and refuse any comment.
2. Avoidance works as well and is my most commonly used one. I can do it at events as well as in work situations
-Alternately you can just interupt their intro with a comment about how you have to leave now while apologoizing profusely
- At work, I will just control the meeting and tell people where to sit and launch right into the "work" part never giving small talk a chance
3. Being exceptionally "terse" in replys will make them squirm and eventually leave you alone
5. Here is my favorite... Go into a technical monologue and when they cannot keep up, make them feel stupid with replies like, "huh?" and look at them like they are stupid. Or better actually say that they are stupid. (I did this in the first session where he disallowed the monologue and then last week when I said his statement was "stupid" and he "coached" me through ways to NOT come right out and say that word. In doing this that tactic was taken from me on the fly.)

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that I had written that! THAT'S ME!

Yes! UN-BE-FROCKING-LEIVABLE!

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

kfisherx wrote:

I think I would like your meetings.

Quote:

You seem to have a level of awareness about how your terseness affects your environment and a willingness to utilize that awareness. I've never got to that level. I'm prone to terseness, but not with any real awareness of how it is received nor having any thought that I could actually use it as a shield to control interactions.

Quote:

Again, a difference that is interesting. I just avoid eye contact. I never connect with what people might actually infer about my eye contact.

Quote:
5. Here is my favorite... Go into a technical monologue and when they cannot keep up, make them feel stupid with replies like, "huh?" and look at them like they are stupid. Or better actually say that they are stupid.

I would NEVER call someone stupid. I think this is related to a lack of self confidence (I always doubt my observations and conclusions) as well as not having any social capital that would allow me to get away with it. Calling someone stupid carries a price that must be paid, usually compensated for by other social metrics such has extraordinary competence in core responsibilities, charity work or some other such thing.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:20 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I think I would like your meetings.

Most people do. They are VERY effeicient.

wavefreak58 wrote:
You seem to have a level of awareness about how your terseness affects your environment and a willingness to utilize that awareness. I've never got to that level. I'm prone to terseness, but not with any real awareness of how it is received nor having any thought that I could actually use it as a shield to control interactions.

The "awareness" that you speak of is happening as a result of my analysis after these sessions. These tactics that I deploy are just ways that I "am". I never thought of them as anything except being me. I now realize it is me protecting myself...

wavefreak58 wrote:
I would NEVER call someone stupid. I think this is related to a lack of self confidence (I always doubt my observations and conclusions) as well as not having any social capital that would allow me to get away with it. Calling someone stupid carries a price that must be paid, usually compensated for by other social metrics such has extraordinary competence in core responsibilities, charity work or some other such thing.

I also NEVER call anyone stupid outright. I said to the Doctor that his statement was stupid and then get confused because they are hurt. It is all starting to make sense now. I also cannot make fun of their comments because that is the same thing as saying they are stupid. The many, many comments from people that I intimidate them are all starting to make some sense now because of this training. The way I see things is not the way that most people see things. I was never really very open to trying to see the other way before and this training is starting to move me in that direction...

This is sum good sheet. Of course I have 3 hours before I have to "perform" again and am not sure I am up to it. Last week was really challenging for me. I taught Jr High kids for 2 days in their school and had another pretty serious meltdown after the event. I even had to go mute at work for a day. I feel just barely back to strength. Still.... Imma gonna go in there and give it my best shot. (I will NOT meltdown... I will NOT meltdown.... I will NOT meltdown....)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:35 am

kfisherx wrote:
Last week was really challenging for me. I taught Jr High kids for 2 days in their school and had another pretty serious meltdown after the event. I even had to go mute at work for a day. I feel just barely back to strength. Still.... Imma gonna go in there and give it my best shot. (I will NOT meltdown... I will NOT meltdown.... I will NOT meltdown....)

I'm amazed you pulled this off. I can't imagine the sensory overload could have been easy on you. What did you do between classes and at lunch time? The hallways in a middle school are crazy noisy and a cafeteria? YIKES!

If you can do 2 days in a Junior High, I have faith in your ability to survive another session.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 10:53 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
kfisherx wrote:
Last week was really challenging for me. I taught Jr High kids for 2 days in their school and had another pretty serious meltdown after the event. I even had to go mute at work for a day. I feel just barely back to strength. Still.... Imma gonna go in there and give it my best shot. (I will NOT meltdown... I will NOT meltdown.... I will NOT meltdown....)

I'm amazed you pulled this off. I can't imagine the sensory overload could have been easy on you. What did you do between classes and at lunch time? The hallways in a middle school are crazy noisy and a cafeteria? YIKES!

If you can do 2 days in a Junior High, I have faith in your ability to survive another session.

I can write a book on the experience of that but will save it for a book... Summary of the two days....

1. Sensory overload
2. Several conflicts related to ASD
3. Meltdown and physical aggression
4. Panic attacks/near emergency room visits after 1st day (chest pains, arm pains)
5. Anxiety meds and doctor visit after 2nd day
6. Lots and lots and lots of communications to idiots who do not know ASD but think they do/can
7. Lots of changes happening now in the school as a result
8. Taught 5 ninety minute classes of science to Jr High kids. Teacher said I did a better job than most can do. Kids had fun and learned a lot about engineering in the real world.
9. Net- it took me about 5 days to feel phsycially well afterwards

Like I said... That is another thread but possibly something I will talk to my coach about today as I am still a bit fragile from it I think...

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

kfisherx wrote:

GUILTY! I now realize that is a defense mechanism I've constructed to keep people from finding out that I can't always really keep up my end of a conversation.

kfisherx wrote:

Not looking at someone keeps me from having to give him/her/shim "THE LOOK"

Putting myself in motion to "just leave" means that I'm not being as obviously rude (in the other person's eyes) - especially if I say I have to go to the bathroom...and especially if I look like I have GAS :oops:

I'm willing to bet that people notice that you do launch directly into a meeting without the small-talk and you might appear cold initially. But when the meeting/class is over, you have presented SO MUCH GOOD information that people can't HELP but be wonderfully pleased because they have been given so much to work with and so many ideas that they had never considered before that they really wind up overlooking your deficits.

I had this happen when I gave a couple of presentations to a mentorship group at work. Not only were they wonderfully pleased, some of them asked when I would return to present again!

kfisherx wrote:

My mother and others have noted my terseness on many, many occasions :roll: But YES, people WILL leave you alone. It is especially useful when people are trying to convince you to do something they want you to do (and usually something they themselves CAN'T do). I conveys the message that they need to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS!

kfisherx wrote:

This REALLY leaves people feeling empty and seems to be the ULTIMATE in getting people to leave you alone.

I did not go looking for Asperger's...it found me by way of my Higher Power. Once we became acquainted, I found out that we had quite a bit in common and we became good friends. And then I landed on WrongPlanet!
</p>

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 5:05 pm

Sorry to dissapoint but did not "do" social skills training nearly so much as talked about my inability to express feelings and how that plays into my physical well being.

I have been suffering for a few years now from "crashing" physically and also from "panic attacks" which come to me with no warning whatsoever. So that is where we focused our conversation.

That said we did do "some" degree of talking about small talk. I told him about my neighbor and also that I acknowlege that emotions actually "do" happen. He reiterated that they do and launched into some examples of how he will actually use a gas station with friendlier attendents over one that is cheaper. Wow. How insane is all that? :roll:

Again I sort of blew this session but wasn't "feeling" up for the game after my trip to CA yesterday and the trauma of my 2 days in the Jr High last week. I am physically still really, really spent. Needs more sleep/rest.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 8:52 pm

kfisherx wrote:
Again I sort of blew this session but wasn't "feeling" up for the game after my trip to CA yesterday and the trauma of my 2 days in the Jr High last week. I am physically still really, really spent. Needs more sleep/rest.

What? You're human or something? :wink:

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 2:17 pm

T minus 2 hours til next torture session.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 8:08 pm

I've been following this thread for a while and am finding it extremely facsinating...never knew of the method for learning social skills that you described...other methods, sure, but not this one. I guess there are many means to an end. Best of luck with your continued social skills journey, kfisherx.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 10:07 am

It is always amazing to me after I finish one of these sessions how hyper aware I am about people and how much better I am about "connecting" with them. My appointment was near the end of the day so left for home shortly after. I stopped at my little town store for my regular food items and there is this overly friendly young person in there who always rings me up. He is annoyingly social and always trying to start conversation with me. Normally I use my escape tactics but today I engaged him and learned that he is attending the local private college majoring in art/graphic design and minoring in computers. He doesn't want to work at Intel but is interested in doing web design. I have no clue why the hell I should care about this information or what to do with it but I got it in an effort to expand upon my social skills. Today's lesson was a continuation of the "connection" thing because that is what I think was the main theme.

We did spend the first part of the session talking about SSRI management and what/how I am doing in that regard. I decided to try taking celexa and easily got it prescribed at the doctor when going for a b12 shot. I took 1/2 the dosage of normal people and spent two full days completely spaced out. The bad news is that I was completely unproductive and even late for several meetings over those days (very out of character for me) The good news is that I did not care. :D :D :D :D Seriously, NOTHING mattered. So not only was the affect of the medication right away (within hours) for me but I am taking 1/4 of a normal dose. Supposedly this is common for autistic people to have a unique reaction to meds. I am not really feeling any extreme anything on this 1/4 dosage but I do believe that my hypersensory issues are a bit better. The shrink says that he believes my anxiety issues are more about sensory processing than anything else (I really have no other reason for it) and that aside from perhaps occupational therapy that SSRIs may be the best option. He also gave me some documentation to read RE anxiety and also handed me a paper about a local company that trains dogs to be with anxious autistic people. So will keep you guys posted if anything changes. For now am on SSRIs for the first time in my life as I finally acknowledge that I have anxiety. (it never made sense before as I otherwise have a pretty ideal life)

So after the anxiety/med discussions we launched into some social games. He pulled out the cards and asked me if I was ready. He started this session out by explaining that one way for me to get out of actually talking during a social scenario is to ask a lot of questions about that person. He handed me 7 green (question) cards and 3 red ones.

I am going to pause the session here because it was at this moment that I made a huge social mistake. He explained that in his job he asks questions to people all day. Before I even thought about it I made a face and said, "Ewwww. That must be really boring, huh?" He stopped and I could feel the tension and I knew right away then that what I had said was insulting. I put my hand over my mouth and apologized. He just looked at me and smiled and said, "Actually I rather enjoy it." "For someone like an engineer that may sound boring but it isn't for me." I again apologized for the statement. And then I just looked at him sheepishly and said, "I am just a little bit incorrigible aren't I?" He just laughed and we went on with our game though he did ding me later for being rude. I simply did not have good filters for this session for some reason and I also had very, very low tolerance for the game.

So we begin our game and I asked if I could set up the scenario from an experience that happened to me earlier in the week that confused me. One of the people on my team who is at a different site came up behind me when I was working and just stood there and said loudly to me, "Hello." I did not want to pull myself away from my work but I did and said, "Hi" back and waited for him to tell me his business. He never did. He just stood there. The doctor asked me what it was that he wanted and the "net" is that the guy just flew in from out of town and was making all the rounds to the other team members just to say, "Hi". The doctors grins then and says, "He just wanted to do small talk and make a connection." It was at that moment that it hit me that he was right. That is all the person wanted. I got highly annoyed at the poor guy because he bothered me with no agenda but I had forgotten that NTs get an emotional connection from this thing called small talk. And I completely blew it because that same script that I had worked on in the session previous with my customer (the one RE the flights, restaurants, etc) would have worked in this scenario too.

Dayumit! I was really mad at myself then because I had completely failed to generalize that scenario. I mean why would I presume that this script was just for customers?! ! Arrrrghhh... Sometimes I hate my brain.

So we launched again into that scenario only this time my goal was to ask him questions about himself and the trip. It was easier somewhat for me but the doctor did not really give long enough answers for my taste. (sigh..) About half way through the cards I could feel my anger and tension building so I asked him if I could end the conversation. He told me that if someone flies into town and approaches me like that and I am the senior team person that I owe this other person around 10 minutes of my time in order to feel as though I care. We agreed that I will have to build up to that comfortably.

We then spent some time discussing ways to appropriately end a conversation. Again he told me about these "social lies" thing and tried to convince me that these are better than the truth for NTs. He gave the scenario of when he speaks to his parents on the phone and he is "through" with it (AKA: Had enough) that he will tell his folks that he has to put the kids to bed or something... I was a bit shocked. I knew people did that but I was shocked that a shrink would actually advise this AND that he regularly did it. I stopped him and asked him for clarity that what he is telling me is that it is better to lie to my parents than to tell the truth? See, I NEVER do that. I just tell people I am done with the conversation and need to go. I never give a reason. The doctor explained that doing this could be construed as me being bored or intolerant of the conversation. But that IS exactly what it is... But apparently the "connection" and emotion thing plays a part here and that ending conversations this way might actually hurt others. I grimaced again thinking about how I do this on every call with my Mother.... Sigh... Poor woman. No wonder she called me a Martain and seemed so pleased to learn that I had Aspergers officially. So now will have to wrap my head around this social lie thing and also build tolerance to at least 10 minutes.

Of course that is all for another time. For now my lesson is to more deeply understand that these other people (these NT people) really do need to have this type of communication. The kid at my local store seemed to be quite pleased that I finally spoke to him and that I seemed interested in him. He actually was proud of his accomplishments I believe. I think I will continue to be kind to him to see where this goes even though I find him most highly annoying most of the time with his social self. LOL!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 12:13 pm

Wow the thing about asking people questions about themselves and letting them talk... my mom is a master of that. There's this person who drives the wheelchair vans who is known for being mean and gossiping about confidential information about clients. And my mom was here for a month. And she immediately got this driver to like her. Mind you my case manager had to report this driver for referring to "ret*ds" and the like. But my mom, she just asked her about her job, her family, her pets, etc. and the driver really got to like her. And my mom was doing this to everyone -- in the hospital when I was there, at the doctor's office, with support staff at home, and everyone really liked her. Impressive trick for an introvert with even a few autistic traits. It was amazing to watch her win over even fairly unpleasant people. If done right, that technIque works wonders.

Louise18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2011, 1:02 pm

This an example of one of the ways that people assuming the NT way is better annoys me. Doing things the NT way you have to waste 10 minutes of your time, and lose energy talking to someone else. Assuming you earn £100 an hour that means £10 is wasted every ther ime someone does this. And his time is wasted too, so assuming he makes £50 an hour, that's £15 of company money wasted because someone wanted a dopamine fix. YOUR original way, this doesn't happen. You are effectively having to work around someone else's lack of ability to emotionally regulate themself. Ideally, NT's should learn how not to need to waste office time to be able to work with their coworkers, not the other way round. In this instance, their way is inferior.

Louise18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2011, 1:05 pm

anbuend wrote:
Wow the thing about asking people questions about themselves and letting them talk... my mom is a master of that. There's this person who drives the wheelchair vans who is known for being mean and gossiping about confidential information about clients. And my mom was here for a month. And she immediately got this driver to like her. Mind you my case manager had to report this driver for referring to "ret*ds" and the like. But my mom, she just asked her about her job, her family, her pets, etc. and the driver really got to like her. And my mom was doing this to everyone -- in the hospital when I was there, at the doctor's office, with support staff at home, and everyone really liked her. Impressive trick for an introvert with even a few autistic traits. It was amazing to watch her win over even fairly unpleasant people. If done right, that technIque works wonders.

I have tried this technique, and it didn't work for me. Usually the person asks reciprocal questions (which I would then prefer not to answer) or the conversation just ends up feeling like me interrogating them, or, sometimes, they feel really comfortable, relax and tell me quite a lot, build a rapport etc, and then later feel embarrassed that they told me too much personal information and make s**t up about me behind my back to cover for it.

Edit: sometimes it works really well, but it's unpredictable and it goes wrong in the ways I outlined as often as it goes right,

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Apr 2011, 1:07 pm

Asking people questions about themselves is one of my primary small talk coping methods. Usually I just hope they'll say something I can latch onto and then we can talk about an interest without me just introducing it.

I think I picked that up in the past 10 years or so? I forget what prompted it.