People with Autism Die Decades Before General Population

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 12:15 pm

A large and troubling study from Sweden has confirmed that people with autism live shorter lives on average than other people; in some cases those affected only live to the age of 40. The team looked at the health records of 27,000 adults with autism and compared them with 2.7 million people in the general population in Sweden. Dr Tatja Hirvikoski, from the Centre for Neurodevelopmental Disorders at the Karolinska Institute, tells Health Check what they discovered.

Please, sit out the entire broadcast which unfortunately has an intermission with news on Romanian health care picketing. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03ms95q

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 12:43 pm

I haven't read your link article as of yet but will do in the next day or two, but have come across similar articles in the past, many seem to associate it with the high level of suicides amongst those on the spectrum, but also the fact that many on the spectrum seem to hold off getting a diagnosis for an illness too late for any cure intervention... Its a very sad statistic that 66% of specrumites will think suicidal thoughts, and 1 in 3 will attempt it sometime in their lives.... I am hoping this in time will come down as more understanding about the spectrum becomes more widespread and that old myths are thrown out the window, aswell as more help in schools and medical practices... All this with the RIGHT education in time can/will change the ,mindsets of the whole... It may seem an uphill battle, but that uphill in the last several years is starting to gather momentum. Also new research seems to suggest that they have possibly found the main genes responsible for autism, the irony is this gene is in every single human being, it is just activated differently with some or not at all. Hope is what has and will always keep me going, and the hope that one day people will realize that none of us are really that much different, but INDIVIDUAL and ALL have a purpose in this world! Time we all started to work as a collective! We all have something to give each other!

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 12:48 pm

YUP, I AGREE...you nailed it.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 1:37 pm

Thanks :0... Also realized its a UK channel, had a feeling it may be IP restricted of which it is, so if outside the UK you dont have an IP Rotatory, it wont be able to be viewed, so found another link for those outside the UK for you :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 3:03 pm

Yes, we've already had a thread like this, with a morbid title, which I was glad when it died off.

:roll: