Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:54 pm

Does anyone else ever just want to amass a massive fleet of starships, capable of relativistic velocities, and just go out and conquer the universe?

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

*hums pinky and the brain theme song*

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:05 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cblbeG9TUbA[/youtube]

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:12 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Does anyone else ever just want to amass a massive fleet of starships, capable of relativistic velocities, and just go out and conquer the universe?

+1 :D

I just wish real life was that cool :(

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

If I had a craft capable of relativistic speeds, I would just travel out for a decade or so (my time) and follow the worldwide news the entire time. Watch centuries of history unfold, then turn around when there is finally a half-rational time period beginning on Earth and maybe settle down. I already don't fit in well in this time period so I'm not too worried about integration

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

Relativistic speeds are quite useless. By the time you got back from conquering the universe everyone you know would be dead and you would have no one left to brag to. And what good is conquering the universe if you can't monologue about it to all those people that treated you like crap?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Relativistic speeds are quite useless. By the time you got back from conquering the universe everyone you know would be dead and you would have no one left to brag to. And what good is conquering the universe if you can't monologue about it to all those people that treated you like crap?

Aside from my wife and a comparatively few actual friends, I don't really care about most people. Compared to most people who lead an otherwise peaceful civilian life, I am probably more accustomed to loved ones dying around me, so it would be no different for me if everyone died in a blink of an eye for me instead of living throughout their last years of cancer or other illness. I would rather that death itself be done away with, but, if so, a sufficient number of planets and planetoids would need to be terraformed to accommodate the ever increasing population.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 4:15 pm

The entire desire to conquer anything is totally foreign to me. I can't comprehend it, not even a little bit. It's one of humanity's more unfortunate impulses. If I did for some reason have the desire to conquer anything at all (not even the world or the universe), I would work really hard on ridding myself of that desire, or at the very least not acting upon it. Too many people suffer terribly when they are conquered. And at extremes... I'm from the USA and every day I can almost feel the too-recent genocide that allowed people to conquer where I live, it's terrible.

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2011, 4:27 pm

The closest I come to conquest is staking out new places to busk. Protecting and expanding the turf on which I play tuba is good enough for me. What would one do with the universe if one had it?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 4:31 pm

Arminius wrote:
What would one do with the universe if one had it?

Build a lot of space stations, terraform new worlds, make a few more planets not to be waste places but change them to be able to be inhabited.

HybridSoul
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 4:54 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Arminius wrote:
What would one do with the universe if one had it?

Build a lot of space stations, terraform new worlds, make a few more planets not to be waste places but change them to be able to be inhabited.

This. But making massive Level 3 civilizations face each other would be rather interesting...That is if we're speaking a of a fictional universe of course. Real violence is no fun unless it's inflicted with your bare hands ;)

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

I would explore the universe at least. Now that would be an adventure! 8)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 6:04 pm

Nothing can stop the power of the star forge!

"The Star Forge is the glory of the Builders, the apex of their Infinite Empire. It is a machine of invincible might, a tool of unstoppable conquest."

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 6:15 pm

The Imperium Psittacorum shall annihilate the military forces of the Star Forge and subjugate its populations to become millet farmers! :twisted:

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 6:19 pm

Wasn't there an episode of teenage mutant ninja turtles in some alternative universe when they no longer existed and Shredder was in charge of the whole world? They depicted him always answering the phones in his "ruler of the world" office because everyone was nagging and complaining for him to fix things. :lol: That was a deep, that was a message that episode!

I'm sure on the path to conquest its all fun n games. It's when you are the actual ruler that all the complaining moaning and wonders of governance come into play that just isn't as appealing.

Quote:

Darth Malak always looked like a chap with serious sinus problems

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 6:27 pm

Laz wrote:
Wasn't there an episode of teenage mutant ninja turtles in some alternative universe when they no longer existed and Shredder was in charge of the whole world? They depicted him always answering the phones in his "ruler of the world" office because everyone was nagging and complaining for him to fix things. :lol: That was a deep, that was a message that episode!

I'm sure on the path to conquest its all fun n games. It's when you are the actual ruler that all the complaining moaning and wonders of governance come into play that just isn't as appealing.

Quote:

Darth Malak always looked like a chap with serious sinus problems

Yeah, that's true enough. The conquest of any land by military means is simple enough, but it's the governance of lands that is a real difficulty.