Is it worth getting a diagnosis as an adult?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sagat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2011, 5:03 pm

I've been thinking I might be on the autistic spectrum for a while. I find it very difficult interacting with people, preferring silence to small talk, and when people try to initiate conversations with me I find it hard to continue them past a few monosyllabic responses. I have done online tests, which I know aren't the best sources, but on the ones I've completed I've gotten scores which show that I may have autism. Furthermore, both of my younger siblings are diagnosed as autistic, and as it is a genetic condition it seems likely that I may have it. I don't want to waste the doctor's time, but is it worth asking my GP for a referral to get a formal diagnosis? I'm 18 so I've missed any extra support I may get through childhood, but I feel getting a diagnosis may put my mind at ease.

Did any of you get formally diagnosed as an adult?

summersja
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

Sorry I can't be of help but I am in the same situation. I am eagerly looking forward to responses to your question from others here as well...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

For some, knowing the name of their pain is useful or comforting.

ruveyn

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:07 pm

Yes, it's worth it, but only if you're willing to do your own research. There are precious few resources available to Adults with any form of high functioning Autism.

You're pretty much on your own as an adult, but it does help to confirm that Autism is really what you're dealing with. Find out. Then, go buy some really good books, and learn as much as you can.

How you deal with it is highly likely to be almost entirely (if not entirely) up to YOU.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 5:27 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Yes, it's worth it, but only if you're willing to do your own research. There are precious few resources available to Adults with any form of high functioning Autism.

You're pretty much on your own as an adult, but it does help to confirm that Autism is really what you're dealing with. Find out. Then, go buy some really good books, and learn as much as you can.

How you deal with it is highly likely to be almost entirely (if not entirely) up to YOU.

+1

At 18, you are technically an adult. But, you're not so far into adulthood that you won't be able to find attentive mental health professionals and various academic, career, and social services.

Good luck!

And it was all for the want of a nail.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

For me it was worth seeking a formal diagnosis as an adult. I had spent years wondering what it was that made me eccentric in comparison to those around me. I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult, and then I began my journey of better understanding myself. And my family came to understand me better. I am much more relaxed in life now.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

It helps to know what you're dealing with, but I don't think there's any reason to get a diagnosis if you already think you have it.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

I got a diagnosis at 46. It was a relief to finally know why I had screwed up some of my social interactions so badly, so much so that I ended up bullied and ostracized.

Knowing was a relief, but it also made me feel more inadequate. Now I know I will likely fail at trying to be social rather than being hopeful (and then failing, but sometimes not entirely) like I was in the past. I feel more knowledgeable about myself but also, in some respects, less empowered, because I know now that I can't overcome my deficits through mere force of will. It's even more difficult now for me to carry on a conversation because I am more aware of how bad I am at it, and I feel more self-conscious.

But in spite of these drawbacks, I'd rather know than not know. I think that the next time I'm in a difficult social situation I will know to withdraw before making a mess for myself, or having a meltdown. And generally I think it's good to be self-aware even if it makes one more self-conscious.

You could probably learn all of this about yourself (whatever of what I've said may apply to you) just by reading about AS, but without the diagnosis you might continue to doubt yourself. (To be honest I still doubt myself even after the diagnosis, but not nearly as much.)

yellowLedbetter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2011, 1:48 pm

I'm still undiagnosed but I'm sure I'm an aspie. I'm afraid to seek a diagnosis - not only for having to interact with people but for how my family and friends will react, and what if the diagnosis is negative? Not that that would be a really horrible thing, but I'd really like to have that stamp of approval for telling other people I have asperger's. If I tell people I'm an aspie they get a little skeptical when I tell them I'm self-diagnosed.

I think it would be worth it to get a diagnosis.

Tritone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

Also, a diagnosis could still be useful to you if you are going on to university, where they will give you support (exam arrangements/help with lectures/various allowances concerning living arrangements etc) if you have a diagnosis of AS.

Mack27
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 2:57 pm

I'm 39 and and only just got diagnosed a few months ago. I didn't tell my family. I told a couple friends and my employer though.

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:38 pm

I'm 38 and was diagnosed last year. It's was definately worth it. As Ruveyn said, knowing the name of your pain is a relief. For me it has altered the way I think about my difficulties. I have become more accepting of my limits.

It also opened the door to adult support services and legal rights. These vary from place to place so how useful this is depends on what's available in your country. For example, here in Sweden I now have the right to have a helper paid for by the kommun to accompany me to any activities I do outside the home, if I need it.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:48 pm

I think it totally depends on whether you will see it as a benefit.

Personally I'm trying to get a diagnosis now because I need it - I'm unemployed, the job centre are prejudice against me and keep trying to force me off benefits because I can't do what they expect me to because of asperger's, a formal diagnosis would make it easier for me to get into disability benefits so I don't end up with no income at all, and it means getting the support I need to get back into work. At college I had to sort of fudge the details of 'diagnosis' when going through learning support because I needed the support in class and without formal diagnosis they may not be able to help - without diagnosis it's just your theory.

On a far more personal level I'd like to know for sure that I'm an aspie because then it explains what was 'wrong' with me growing-up, it will help with my self-esteem to know that I wasn't just weird, that there was a reason why I was like that, it will help to be able to explain why I act how I do now to people like family and friends. I also feel like a bit of a fraud without that formal diagnosis, although I do think that if you have asperger's you know it...for me within a very short space of time discovering asperger's I KNEW that I was an aspie...but to other people it's not real without an expert confirmation. I do worry that knowing about asperger's I may come to rely on this too much - where as the rest of my life I had no choice but to try to live as an NT, if I hadn't I'd not be where I am now.

As an adult I was like an NT, but now being unemployed for some time means that I'm regressing a lot - this can happen to us all, you may not need support now but if you go through a stressful time in your life you may regress, or just one bad day can trigger off a chain reaction - e.g. you have a bad day at work and don't perform as you should, your boss may fire you and legally you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to disability rights because you don't have a diagnosis. I find now I am needing more support there is a fear that I may not be able to get support if/when I need it, it's all well and good saying 'I have asperger's' but without a diagnosis that means nothing officially-speaking. If you need support in higher education, in benefits system, at work, if you need advice or support in any area without diagnosis you may not be able to get the help or understanding that you need.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

I'm undiagnosed, but I know I'm an Aspie. I went to two psychologists before, both said I fit the diagnostic criteria, and I know I do, and at this point, I'm pretty much 100% sure I am an Aspie. Knowing this has helped me greatly, and gave a name and a reason to why I was the way I was. It hasn't reduced anxiety, but has given me confidence in who I am. But, in this area, northeastern pennsylvania, there is very little expertise on adult AS, so nothing more than what your run of the mill psychologist can do. At first, I was seeking a diagnoses bit couldn't find one, which I guess I was seeking it for closure, just so I can be sure I have AS. But now, I am sure, so I just seek ways to reduce anxiety.

PinkFeelingBlue
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2011, 6:10 pm

I was diagnosed last year at age 33. It was totally worth every penny I spent to get the testing. It hasn't made my life better but having some understanding of why I am the way I am was a huge mental and emotional relief.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 12:21 am

To me, I'm trying to get a formal diagnosis, but it really does not matter that much to me. The main reason that I want a diagnosis is so that I can discuss it with people outside of WP.

I don't need any special support. I get all of the psych care that I need because I have numerous formal diagnoses. Getting an additional diagnosis is not that big deal to me, either way. My feeling is that if I don't have AS, I'm close enough that it does not matter. It is not like they have a cure or any AS-specific treatment. They really do not even know what exactly Autism is. it's just a collection of related symptoms.

So, for now, I will continue to work on my psychiatrist to get something a little more definite. He does say that some people naturally have a higher social IQ than other people, and we agree that is an area that I am very weak at. At this time, a formal diagnosis of AS really does not do much more.