Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rorschach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2006, 9:37 am

Hey! I've been leafing through a lot of the posts on here and i'm kind of surprised not to find more about this aspect. For me, this is the most troubling side effect of all. All the rest i've more or less learnt to live with, but to the anxiety and panic attacks i've yet to find some sort of solution. I had quite a serious attack two years ago, where i felt that i was on the verge of collapsing. This was back when i still thought the reason for all these symptoms must be something to do with my general level of fitness, so i started exercising five times a week and adhering to a very strict schedule every day. Turns out the exercise helped me a lot, the tight order of things not so much. It did give me a huge sense of comfort but when i had to turn everything upside down a few weeks ago for a holiday i went on, i got a huge backlash. I was dizzy all the time and nauseous and extremely anxious. Is anyone else plagued by this, has someone maybe found some way out of this? I'm thinking i need to invent some routine that i can apply whenever this arises. Easier said than done though 8O

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2006, 9:51 am

I only problem i've ever really had with panic attacks was when i we living by myself for a few years. I would get very anxious about being by myself, perticularily at night. I solved the prblem by spending most of my time at my parents house. I'm just not cut out to live alone!!
I do sometimes think though that the potential to get panicy and anxious is just below the surface and could come back any time!

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 11:12 am

I have never had anxiety since last year when one of my phychiatrists put me on about 10-15 pills a day.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 11:28 am

I do get anxiety on occasion, and I have delveloped a lot of strategies for dealing with it.
I have found that exercise helps. There is also some evidence that anxiety could result from certain chemical deficincies in the brain as well. I supplement my diet with protein, and glutamine when working out, and I believe that this also helps.
Another thing that is great is meditation. There is a running thread on this somewhere.
You mentioned creating a routine that you can apply. This is exactly what I did.
I began memorizing a buddhist text called the dhamapada. I would recite it in my head sometimes, just to center myself. I found that I could enter a very social, and what would have been a very stressful situation, and if I just focused on this process of recalling the text, it kept me from worrying about other things. I would talk to people, and then when there was a pause, I would return to this task of reciting the text in my head.

So maybe just find something that is significant to you and do the same.
The effort of recalling is what is important. It focuses the mind and prevents the cycle of worry and anxiety from taking hold.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 11:58 am

my ex used to panic when travelling, she had or has an anxirty seperation disorder, she was nt but she was messed up sounds like you in as much as it happens when you travel, agorophobia, seperation disorder, or personality dosroder were all things she found out about herself

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 3:28 pm

I've had problems with anxiey and panic attacks when I was in a Voc Rehab center in Warm Springs Ga US. I wasn't on any meds for that but it got so bad that it combined with Depression and I wanted to kill my self. I got better I'm now on meds for Depression and the anxiety.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2006, 3:25 am

I have anxiety all the time. Usually either related to the world ending or my stomach.

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 2:11 pm

I used to have them. Mostly in supermarkets and on busses. Once they got worse and I got one in the street. I had to sit down feeling really bad and helpless. Then I thought about it as an "attack", and realised that "attacks" doesn't last forever. It immediatly went away.

There was one supermarket that was really bad, and one day I got fed up with it, and got so angry with the whole thing that it went away. From then on, as I realised I could control them, it has not been so bad.

I also read that too much coffee, or caffein, can produce anxiety attacks. Certain types of meds either contain caffein or will prolong the time it takes caffein to leave the body.

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 6:01 pm

I do not think I have actually ever had an anxiety attack. Yes, I have had my share of nervousness, depression, fear and anxiety, but I have never had an attack of it where I could not control myself or whatever. My little brother doesn't like school, and he used to get so nervous that he would have them: he would wring his hands and start breathing very fast and heavily.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 6:39 pm

Steve_Cory wrote:
[ ... ] he would wring his hands and start breathing very fast and heavily.

If that qualifies as an anxiety attack then I get them when there are too many people, or there's too much noise, or I have to go up a new set of stairs (or even a particularly nasty set of stairs) or in a new situation with lots of people around (such as my first course with Youth Orchestra - I went in shaking and breathing very heavily and felt sick, etc etc) or a new situation when I don't know what to expect ... undsoweiter.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2006, 9:38 pm

I've had one a couple weeks ago. I didn't feel understood or accepted by my Famliy and I was starting to feel like an outsider. The next thing I knew was that I was doing the Dishes and I've started to feel anxious and dizzy.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 12:40 am

Yeah, I have had them in the past. I really prefer not to think about that though. I really don't know how I got over them now that I think about it. It just seems that they suddenly stopped at a certain age. I don't think that age is the absolute answer though, maybe I just started feeling more comfortable and in control of my environment... I really don't know. :?

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2006, 1:27 am

When there are too many people or noises I just go tense and stare straight ahead. Noone knows I'm panicking which is good. I just waite for an opportunity to leave. Usually I get anxious about things when I'm on my own thinking. I just start pacing around untill I think of something else to do to take my mind of things.

Rorschach
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2006, 3:07 am

Yea, I thought I'd gotten over it actually before I left for the holidays. The fact that it hit me so badly then really surprised me. I've read about something called sensory overload that can occur in people with autism. Maybe this is what happened because I went through a really long period with really no changes in my life at all, and then had to change everything at once. I was exhausted beyond belief almost immediately, and don't really have an explanation for this because on the surface it should have been quite a relaxing time..

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 9:20 am

I only have a panic attack when I'm either lost, confused, or worried. This rarely happens and I've found a way to control it if it does.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2006, 10:48 am

Corcovado wrote:
I used to have them. Mostly in supermarkets and on busses. Once they got worse and I got one in the street. I had to sit down feeling really bad and helpless. Then I thought about it as an "attack", and realised that "attacks" doesn't last forever. It immediatly went away.

There was one supermarket that was really bad, and one day I got fed up with it, and got so angry with the whole thing that it went away. From then on, as I realised I could control them, it has not been so bad.

I agree that it is possible to overcome anxiety by changing your thoughts about the anxiety. Like you I got sick and tired of the anxiety and it went away. My process was a little bit different, but I did have a similar moment of enlightment that got rid of my anxiety attacks.

I had these really really bad anxiety attacks after being attacked by a violent criminal. I am very lucky to be alive, because this person was a murderer who, the last time I heard, was still in jail.

After the attack I was okay for about a year, but then I developed PTSD and associated anxiety attacks. I slowly began to unravel. I became afraid to leave the apartment, afraid to eat, or take care of myself, and eventually I became afraid to even get out of bed. Well the good news is that my recovery happened really suddenly. It happened the moment that I learned to deal with the anxiety attacks. What happened was that one day I was so sick and exhausted with being afraid and feeling anxious that I literally "gave up" and just "surrendered" to the anxiety. I was soooo tired of being afraid that I just let go, like someone who had been hanging by her fingers to the side of a cliff. I just let go. And once I gave up, let go and surrendered then something amazing happened. My heartrate slowed down, I began breathing normally, and my body stopped pumping adrenalin. I relaxed back into my body. I can remember the exact moment this happened, and I kind of went, "Hey!..What just happened to me?" Wow! And from that moment on I never had a real anxiety attack or panic attack again.

I still do have anxiety though, but not the actual anxiety or panic attack that seems to come from nowhere and can make a person feel like they are going crazy.