Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pascalflower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2011, 12:28 am

Do you think that overall things would be better or worse if Asperger's Syndrome had a physical appearance look like Down's Syndrome or William's Syndrome?

On the one hand, if it had an easily recognizable trait, most people would accept it more easily and there would probable be a lot more accommodations like which Down's Syndrome gets. On the other hand, people with Asperger's Syndrome would be more easily discriminated against if they were easily recognizable by a physical trait. So it's a mixed back.

But overall, a lot of mistakes would have been avoided, as most people would have been easily diagnosed at an earlier age!

Hypothetically, do you thinking a physically recognizable trait would have been beneficial or makes things a lot worse?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:38 am

I giggled when I first saw this, because I thought you were going to ask "If Asperger's had a look, what would it be?"
I was thinking of all the different looks people with AS have and wondering if you could photograph them all and do inventory on each feature to create a virtual being made from all the photographs.
I have Asperger's and look a bit dysmorphic. It would be easier, imo, to have Asperger's and blend in with everyone else so that AS is the only thing to deal with. There wouldn't be any more complications, no more confusion. I would have the AS issues with social skills, and could work on dealing with it. Instead, I have that and a plethora of other issues and confusion about how to handle certain situations that are unique to me with grace and ease. I tend to fuddle them up now. It would be easier for me if it were just AS and nothing superficial, like slightly dysmorphic facial features.
Blending in makes life easier to cope with.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 12:41 am

We have a look. We look like our family members. :)

Quadratura
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 12:43 am

I can already recognize fellow Aspies from their gait, and often from other physical characteristics. Mostly their gait, though. I don't think it's that hard to recognize people with Asperger's for those who have it, after a while. Just hard for NTs, maybe >_>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:32 am

now that i've finally been exposed to actual aspies IRL, i believe i have finally developed an aspiedar of sorts. there is a subtle stiffness of facial expression, vocal inflection and body posture [mainly a lack of animation] in most i've seen. there is an unusual prosody of speech that is also noticeable. it is more than just seeing a reflection of myself in these other people, more like observing a collection of physical/behavioral traits that spells it out. in my local aspie group, i believe we stand out from the folks milling about us [so far the meetings have been in a public place], in a subtle but still noticeable way, which to me constitutes a "look" [and sound] of sorts.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
now that i've finally been exposed to actual aspies IRL, i believe i have finally developed an aspiedar of sorts. there is a subtle stiffness of facial expression, vocal inflection and body posture [mainly a lack of animation] in most i've seen. there is an unusual prosody of speech that is also noticeable. it is more than just seeing a reflection of myself in these other people, more like observing a collection of physical/behavioral traits that spells it out. in my local aspie group, i believe we stand out from the folks milling about us [so far the meetings have been in a public place], in a subtle but still noticeable way, which to me constitutes a "look" [and sound] of sorts.

I agree with you Auntblabby. I have only seen one Aspie in person since learning about it a few months ago, and I could easily see all of those traits you described in that person. It's a bit hard to imagine that I seem as odd as that to other people. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 4:51 am

dunbots wrote:
I have only seen one Aspie in person since learning about it a few months ago, and I could easily see all of those traits you described in that person. It's a bit hard to imagine that I seem as odd as that to other people. :lol:

i didn't discover my intrinsic weirdness until it was pointed out to me via seeing myself on videotape and hearing audio recordings of myself. aside from this, will you please consider attending the [saturday] may 7 olympia aspie meetup@1pm, at evergreen? just thought i'd ask.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 5:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
i didn't discover my intrinsic weirdness until it was pointed out to me via seeing myself on videotape and hearing audio recordings of myself. aside from this, will you please consider attending the [saturday] may 7 olympia aspie meetup@1pm, at evergreen? just thought i'd ask.

I saw that on the PNW thread and thought about it, I think it could be enjoyable, but I don't think I could talk my mom into driving me down there; it's about an hour-long drive, a bit far. :( But the thought of it makes me a bit anxious, being on my own for a long time with people I don't know. :oops:

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:05 am

sometimes I think the "look" of Asperger's that my son has is a constant "deer caught in the headlights" look. I wish I could get him to relax, to get him to appear as if he is NOT on constant alert.

But, then again, it could be a family thing and not Asperger's. My husband had the "deer caught in the headlights" look as well. Mostly when we got married. Hmmmm.....

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:26 am

That's both genders.

Anyway, I think it would be worse if it had a look because people would be even more inclined to treat us like ret*ds and underestimate us.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:26 am

Pointy ears. Green skin.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:57 am

dunbots wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I saw that on the PNW thread and thought about it, I think it could be enjoyable, but I don't think I could talk my mom into driving me down there; it's about an hour-long drive, a bit far. :( But the thought of it makes me a bit anxious, being on my own for a long time with people I don't know. :oops:

just to be clear, we are all safe people. but to be honest, i believe some may find the meetups here a bit less than exciting, as all we do is discuss our lives. the last meet had me and two other folk, with one drop-out [he had the flu]. again, not exciting but for me it was good to finally be able to commune with others somewhat similar to myself. 8) the more, the merrier, though :)

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

It would be 10x worse!

Unless the look was a statuesque form and deep mysterious eyes.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 8:41 am

I want to see these traits. As far as I know, I've never met anyone on the spectrum, and if I did, I had no idea.

I'd rather not have a "look" myself. I've been singled out enough my whole life.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:24 am

Subotai wrote:
It would be 10x worse!

Drow, maybe?

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:32 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Subotai wrote:
It would be 10x worse!

Drow, maybe?

Aasimar