Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 9:59 pm

posted this in the computer forum, but thought it'd get more exposure here:

saw an article a couple of days ago, about the iPad being a great device for autist kids :D
link to article: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp2988828.html#2988828

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm

I want an iPad, and I want it, now! :D

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 11:16 am

iPad + Autism = match made in heaven

---

Stereotypes

Autism - This post about religion belongs in the religious section of WP.

NT - Good post. Thanks.

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype

ZachL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2010, 11:52 am

Heres an interesting video with it being used as an augmentative communication device.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

My wife just got us each an iPad... We both love them!! ! I still have plenty to learn about them, since I'm an Apple-dunce as of yet. I can see clearly that the iPad could replace my Netbook, and possibly in the future, my smartphone, pocket TV, and desktop.

Charles

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

I will wait for the next generation iPad, this one still has a few bugs to get worked out, I still have a 5th gen iPod, but it needs a new battery pack and screen

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 8:15 am

Well, I got myself an "ePad". It is an Android tablet with a 7" screen, 256MB of RAM, 2 GB SSD and room for a 16 or 32 GB MicroSD card, as well as support for ethernet, Wifi, and flash drives.

It cost AUD $200, instead of the AUD $600+ for an iPad.

I have downloaded heaps of free books to this ePad and I have already used it to read "The Invisible Man" by HG Wells, while travelling on the train. And I have played a few card solitaire games when I didn't feel like reading straight away.

It's my newest favourite toy!

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXA0biWN05M

The market will change so quickly over the next year that I am glad I didn't buy a more expensive device.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 9:47 am

I don't have an Ipad but I do have an ipod and an iphone and I don't know how I got along without them before.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 10:25 am

I'd rather have a 64gb iPhone 4 without the antenna problem. I hope Apple brings one out next year. The iPad is just... too big.

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2010, 1:56 pm

I bought one for my son. It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with it. It's opened up a new avenue for him to learn. I like using it too, but that only happens when he's sleeping, lol.

I wanted to wait for an android tablet, but the touch interface apple has is more fluid. That's a really big deal in our case. He would get really frustrated trying to play with my android phone.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2010, 7:00 pm

MyPad topic

On my wish list. Second choice is an ebook reader.

I am not complaining though, as my new laptop is great. Fast, small, portable--a great improvemant over the slow nine year old desktop dinosaur that went belly up in February. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 4:51 am

I've seen this article three times on here now, but never the less, it's nice :P

I'm hopefully getting my gubby mits on an iPad soon :D

AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 12:07 pm

To a Tablet PC developer like me, iPad = LOL! It's 5+ year-old technology. The newer stuff is wicked compared to that. (But I do have to admit, I'm getting a lot more attention now with my slew of tablets than I was up to just a few months ago.)

Society is FINALLY now realizing what us nerds from the 90's learned: tablets are awesome for those of us on the spectrum! And perhaps so even for those who are not. So yes, absolutely, go for the iPad if you have no other option.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

I think having constant internet access helps me. lol

EDIT: Actually this reminds me of a blog post by John Robertson(sp?) the guy who wrote "Look Me in the Face." He wrote about going to a conference, and because he had an iPhone, he was able to look up things while they were discussing it, and actually come away from the conference learning a bunch of things instead of just hearing someone speak.

Last edited by jdcnosse on 16 Aug 2010, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 12:23 pm

AdmiralCrunch wrote:
To a Tablet PC developer like me, iPad = LOL! It's 5+ year-old technology. The newer stuff is wicked compared to that. (But I do have to admit, I'm getting a lot more attention now with my slew of tablets than I was up to just a few months ago.)

Society is FINALLY now realizing what us nerds from the 90's learned: tablets are awesome for those of us on the spectrum! And perhaps so even for those who are not. So yes, absolutely, go for the iPad if you have no other option.

But the iPad has a much better user experience and is cheaper. I used a tablet years ago, it was running the full version of Vista. It was cool and everything, don't get me wrong, but it was about the same spec as the iPad, ran slowly, was very fiddly, and cost over £1k! No wonder they never caught on, they were very impractical! I was like, "f**k that s**t!" :lol:

AdmiralCrunch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 12:27 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
But the iPad has a much better user experience and is cheaper.

I know. This is just me blowing off steam that all the grueling DDK work that I've done over the years is now being superseded by the big corporations. :cry: (I just have to tell myself that it's all part of the never ending story that is actually usable computers.)

Expect the newer versions of tablets being released in the next couple of months to easily outperform the iPad. And, one day soon I hope, we'll finally be able to get rid of paper! YEEEEAAAAHHHHH! :o