Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 5:19 pm

Do you do that ?

my mum has to keep the doors locked because i often am out the door and i dont notice im not wearing shoes most of the time i am not wearing shoes when i wonder out the door.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

I sometimes go barefoot and it seemed to bug my dad...really I think wandering is perfectly fine; Psychologically we should wander actually. I allows us to gather our thoughts as well as engage the kinesthetic intelligence of the brain, which creates endorphins.

I always know what I'm doing though so no, not entirely mutual.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:28 pm

My son is 10 and has Asperger's and he regularly goes out without shoes. As long as it's not too cold or wet I don't bother about it when he's out in the garden or even going to the shop in the village. The man in the shop comments when he sees my son with shoes on.

At school, he takes his shoes off in the classroom and yes, just about everywhere really. I have developed the habit of looking at his feet fairly often when we're out to make sure his shoes don't get lost.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 5:32 pm

No...I think I know to put shoes on before going out of the house, unless it's a hot summers day and I'm just out to sit in the garden on the hammock or something and knowing I don't need shoes if I don't want.

The only thing I forget to do before going out is checking in the mirror to see if my make-up is on properly. Or I sometimes even forget to put make-up on.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 6:11 pm

I hate shoes but I live in a cold, mountainous area of the United States so I quickly remember to go back in and put shoes on if I forget.

At my office, everyone understands that I won't wear shoes after 3pm. I just feel like 6 hours per day in "appropriate office attire" is enough. I can do my engineering job perfectly well without wearing shoes.

As far as wandering away, I do this constantly. I get distracted from the people I am with by objects and processes in the environment that are more interesting to me.

When I am confused, embarassed, or afraid, I will literally run away from people and hide. This takes new friends aback but most people quickly decide either to have nothing more to do with me or simply accept my behaviour as "that's just Jen and sometimes she freaks out. She will come back around."

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:42 pm

Yeah, when I was younger. I had plenty good reasons to leave, though; my stepdad was abusive, and I'd much rather be out on the streets without shoes than in the house with him pinning me to the ground and yelling into my ear. (Ironic, right? I really did leave my shoes behind. I wonder if there's something about autism that makes you hate shoes.)

Nowadays, I live alone, so when I leave, nobody tries to stop me, and nobody calls it "wandering". It's a good arrangement overall.

You tried keeping a checklist near the door, to remind yourself to put on your shoes and your coat, and such? I do that, and it helps me remember, rather than go out and halfway down the street realize I'm cold because I've forgotten my coat, and can't get back in because I've left my keys behind. If you had a checklist, and could learn to check it every time before you left, you might not leave your shoes and things behind. I go by temperature to decide if I am going to wear a coat: If it's below 50 degrees, a light coat, below 30, a heavy coat; below 20, hat, scarf, and gloves--that kind of thing. Easier to do that than to make that judgment every time.

Of course if you can't be on your own outside safely, then one of the things on the checklist should be "ask someone to go with me".

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Lynners
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2012, 6:48 pm

I used to ran off to my aunt's house which was around the block from my house. I scared my parents for a while by doing this, but eventually they just started to call my aunt when I went missing. I really liked her dog.

I don't wear shoes unless I'm going shopping or somewhere else where they are required. No one in my family wears shoes or socks really.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 6:51 pm

When I was a child I used to go outside in the winter when it was snowing and I took my jacket off and pulled my sleeves up, because I couldn't stand the feeling of any cloth at my arms (and it is still difficult, because clothes touching my body feel like "burning", also do the blankets in bed, but now I suffer from being cold, but maybe it is because I am quite strongly underweighted).
I never ran away but I got lost outside and came home much later from school than the other children, because I had to touch every tree on my way.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

nintendofan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

Marcia wrote:

At school, he takes his shoes off in the classroom

Oh yes i did that at school and college they didnt like it much !

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2012, 9:36 pm

nintendofan wrote:
Marcia wrote:

At school, he takes his shoes off in the classroom

Oh yes i did that at school and college they didnt like it much !

I did it in college too but I was lucky that none of my professors ever did more than chuckle at me and shake their heads. :D

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

16 Feb 2012, 9:56 pm

Yeah, I wander off in the grocery store mostly. Sometimes I'm so into my own world that I end up bumping into other people. That's why I always keep my cell phone charged and on me.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 10:19 pm

I've never been a wanderer, but I used to go out without shoes, or take shoes off. I've not had this issue recently, because I'm not comfortable walking outside here without shoes, too much glass on the sidewalks, and my nice barefoot duplicating shoes are nice.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2012, 10:45 am

Tuttle wrote:
I've never been a wanderer, but I used to go out without shoes, or take shoes off. I've not had this issue recently, because I'm not comfortable walking outside here without shoes, too much glass on the sidewalks, and my nice barefoot duplicating shoes are nice.

Are your barefoot duplicating shoes the Vibram Five-finger toe shoes? I really want to try those since I think I could wear them all day at work. Plus it is too cold here in Idaho to walk outside barefoot for at least half of the year so I have no choice but to cover my feet which I hate hate hate!

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2012, 4:47 pm

Oh, as in not wearing shoes. Yes, I have done that before, a few times with dangerous results.

Once I had stepped in dog feces.

Another time I had stepped on some spiked seeds.

The worst though was when I hit a block of wood that split my toenail in half.

In public I do take my shoes off whenever my feet get too hot or I have pain on my toe (getting another ingrown toenail)

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

SkyHeart
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2012, 4:59 pm

I do wondering. I call it goign for a walk. mum calls it wandering. I also like no shoes on. when you were children did people here try diferent things to eat? when I was young I tried human poo dog poo cat food dog food leaves grass. grass and leaves i ate alot. Now I am a adult I do not any more.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2012, 5:10 pm

SkyHeart wrote:
I do wondering. I call it goign for a walk. mum calls it wandering. I also like no shoes on. when you were children did people here try diferent things to eat? when I was young I tried human poo dog poo cat food dog food leaves grass. grass and leaves i ate alot. Now I am a adult I do not any more.

When I was a kid, I tried to eat things based on what color they were...if the color looked interesting, then I thought it should be edible. This did not please my nannies or mother one bit. Construction paper cut into interesting shapes always seemed to be particularly appetizing. In hindsight, I wonder if this is part of the reason why I was never placed in preschool or Kindergarten as construction paper projects figure prominently into those years of schooling in the United States. My mother always seemed especially embarrassed by my odd behaviours and tended to "hide me away" from public.

Now as an adult, I find eating fairly boring unless the food is very pretty. Because of this, I enjoy bright colored fruit and vegetable and love sushi. Since these things are typically nutritious, I suppose this quirk of mine has become beneficial.

For some reason however, very bright blue things look especially appetizing and these things are almost always artificial like candies, etc. I think that is a problem but I don't often indulge so not a big problem.