Page 1 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2011, 8:21 am

"I have Asperger's" is no excuse. If a kid says something rude to you, you tell them why it was rude and why they shouldn't do that. If an adult does the same, and you rebuff them, and they just say "I have Asperger's, so I do that," then you tell them to go f**k themselves. If they say "oh, sorry..." then you accept their apology. People with Asperger's can learn social skills and not be a jerk. People can overcome it through effort and practice, so using it to excuse as*hole behavior is BS.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:23 am

Have to agree with you! I used to behave like a little brat but that wasn't my AS and I knew it. I've overcome it and become a better person.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:28 am

I find this to be a strange topic because I have always found Aspies to be much less rude than the general population. We may be awkward but we are typically rarely outright rude on purpose. It seems to me much more appropriate to say, "Sorry I was so rude, I'm an NT, that is my excuse."

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:34 am

MollyTroubletail wrote:
I find this to be a strange topic because I have always found Aspies to be much less rude than the general population. We may be awkward but we are typically rarely outright rude on purpose. It seems to me much more appropriate to say, "Sorry I was so rude, I'm an NT, that is my excuse."

Yes I agree with you too (lol at me agreeing with everyone!). Generally speaking, Aspies are rarely deliberately rude. I have made slip ups. I'm sure we all have. I have however, come across a small minority of Aspies who think of themselves as somewhat superior and able to say/do what they like because they have a diagnosis. Just as Tourettes doesn't give me an excuse to call people every name under the sun, AS doesn't give us the right to deliberately be rude. That's my view on it anyway.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:39 am

I've never heard anyone say that, but that's because I've never known anyone with aspergers.

Why do you keep posting this kind of stuff?

Remember this?

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
I have been banned too frequently for my lame attempt at being a troll. I need to learn to be more subtle troll instead of being blatant obvious trolling.

Seph
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2011, 8:52 am

I don't know.

I feel it's important to take personal responsibility for one's actions and not blame what you do on your Dx. But... Sometimes I can be rude because my mind starts blocking things out and I miss things that are going on around me. I simply can't help it. Yes I'm sorry it sometimes happens. I can't gaurantee that it won't happen again because I wasn't aware it happened the first time. When this happens I feel it's acceptable to say it was from my Dx. It's up to the other person to show some understanding.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:55 am

nemorosa wrote:
I've never heard anyone say that, but that's because I've never known anyone with aspergers.

Why do you keep posting this kind of stuff?

Remember this?
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
I have been banned too frequently for my lame attempt at being a troll. I need to learn to be more subtle troll instead of being blatant obvious trolling.

Jellybean wrote:
... Generally speaking, Aspies are rarely deliberately rude. I have made slip ups. I'm sure we all have. I have however, come across a small minority of Aspies who think of themselves as somewhat superior and able to say/do what they like because they have a diagnosis. Just as Tourettes doesn't give me an excuse to call people every name under the sun, AS doesn't give us the right to deliberately be rude. That's my view on it anyway.

Yes, and I think it is good for the OP to have again raised the question here on WP.

In my own case, I sometimes find myself attempting to justify something I have done as "just being part of me" and to thereby self-excuse an occasional "slip-up" such as you have mentioned ... and there is where I must again be reminded "explanation" (simple apology) and "excuse" are not synonymous.

Last edited by leejosepho on 27 May 2011, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:11 am

I agree completely. AS is not an excuse for bad behaviour at all. Some social slip ups, yes. But for rude and bad behaviour, no.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:22 am

AS is never an excuse. It can be a reason why something is difficult but it's never an excuse not to achieve. I don't tell people I have AS. Only very few souls in real life know.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:24 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
"I have Asperger's" is no excuse. If a kid says something rude to you, you tell them why it was rude and why they shouldn't do that. If an adult does the same, and you rebuff them, and they just say "I have Asperger's, so I do that," then you tell them to go f**k themselves. If they say "oh, sorry..." then you accept their apology. People with Asperger's can learn social skills and not be a jerk. People can overcome it through effort and practice, so using it to excuse as*hole behavior is BS.

This post strikes me as rude.

Can I get an apology?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:26 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

This post strikes me as rude ...

A bit crude, maybe, but how does it seem rude? :wink:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:28 am

leejosepho wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Well ...

Usually, when bringing up a subject that is likely to invoke intense emotions, it is considered rude to do so using crude language ...

In this context crude=rude.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:39 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

This post strikes me as rude.

Can I get an apology?

:roll:

TB
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:43 am

i never use it as an excuse. But rather other people start using it as an excuse for me they are just trying to help i gues but clearly arent.
Or try to put me in the position of using it as an excuse when i never touched on the subject.

Its annoying when people think they know you just becuase they know you have as and go on to make wrong assumptions all the time.

I think the post could be interpreted as rude because hes targeting it to the as community like a lot of people are using it as an excuse which is probably not true. Anyway the opening post is just a big troll. There is no question, no line on which the poster seeks discussion.
Only a statement said like nobody knows this yet and he is here to enlighten us or make us do the right thing.
His statement is just common knowledge.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 9:50 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Well ...

Usually, when bringing up a subject that is likely to invoke intense emotions, it is considered rude to do so using crude language ...

In this context crude=rude.

Understood, and I thank you for your kind response.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

27 May 2011, 10:17 am

Totally agree. Same goes for stuff like, "I forgot to do (insert task here) because I have ADHD".