When you were a child, did you ROCK at video games?

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

20 Sep 2011, 10:07 am

Just curious, when you were a child, were you a superstar at video games? Like, if anybody had problems getting through some difficult part in Mario where they had to exactly time some running and jumping through a series of rotating bars of fireballs, they'd come to you to get them through it?

Specifically, I'm asking... were you great at games that required "reflex skills" like the above situation? That is, side-scroller or action type of games.

Last edited by swbluto on 20 Sep 2011, 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:10 am

swbluto wrote:
Just curious, when you were a child, were you a superstar at video games? Like, if anybody had problems getting through some difficult part in Mario where they had to exactly time some running and jumping through a series of rotating bars of fireballs, they'd come to you to get them through it?

Is this referring to the lava level in the castle basement on Mario 64?

:D

to his Interest."

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

Considering that I never even saw a video game before playing Brick Out on my uncle's Apple II when I was eight, I'd have to say no.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

20 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Lucywlf wrote:
Considering that I never even saw a video game before playing Brick Out on my uncle's Apple II when I was eight, I'd have to say no.

Oh, K. How about... before the age of 12? :)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Is this referring to the lava level in the castle basement on Mario 64?

:D

I was thinking of one of the castles in Super Mario Bros: 1 for the NES, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was also in Mario 64. :D

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 10:44 am

No, I've always been bad at video games.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

I never was that great at video games, but I remember impressing my friends and acquaintances with how well I played. ,I was always surprised that they didn't "get" them the way I did.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Yes, and it's not an Aspie thing. It's a kid thing. Most kids (especially boys) were really good at playstation games. My brother was, he collected every game there was, and so does my cousin now. He spends half of his life on his playstation 3.

Personally I find them boring, but I do like the old Sega games.

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:41 am

Aww yes i was :D i was the pro.. everyone feared me if i came in the room because they felt a pressure to do good in the game(which they didn't untill i took over)
i was a real star as you'd say.

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

No, I sucked. :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

swbluto wrote:

Specifically, I'm asking... were you great at games that required "reflex skills" like the above situation? That is, side-scroller or action type of games.

How is this related to AS/autism?

Yeah kids have asked me a few times to help them get through something in a game. It be my brothers or their friends or mine. I was never a pro at games nor a savant.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Are folks with ASDs supposed to be better at video games than those without? I loved video games, still do, but my skills are mediocre.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

A bit difficult to ROCK at pong on an Acetronic.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2011, 12:54 pm

I'd consider video games to be my "special interest," but I'm actually not all that good at them. I can play them a lot better than people who aren't really gamers, because I "understand" games, but compared to other gamers, I'm not very good. I get through games by persistence and obsession moreso than skill. Forget competitive gaming too, I just can't win in that environment.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

No, my reaction time and processing speed was really slow and I couldn't get my fingers to press the right buttons. It was really frustrating because I could usually see (after a few tries, that is) exactly what I had to do to get past some part of the game and I couldn't do it.

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

Heck yeah, I did. And still do. In fact, I think I owe a huge deal of my good hand-eye-coordination and reflexes to spending my pre-teens with big N.