wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

OJani wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
the person who kills this thread is going to be a legend

I'm trying, let's see how my reputation stands. :D

Paradoxically, by stating that you are attempting to kill this thread, you have bestowed upon it invulnerability to death except by act of god (admin). For in having declared your intent, you set up a competition between all thread killers and each will attempt to be the last post in the thread. Infinite regress ensues ...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
(Let's say the thread is on a predominantly NT forum, and the thread itself isn't just your similarly aspergian cronies, as we know there's an aspie clique on most forums as aspies tend to be relatively common on forums.)

Do you have any evidence of this rather bizarre assumption? Is there an 'aspie' indicator somewhere in online forums that I don't know about?

It wasn't really meant seriously. It was simply a way of saying "Let's say in an NT thread".

Ok.

So this is a thread not to be taken seriously?

Take it as seriously as you want. :P

The original intention was serious, though I'm allowed to have jocular diversions here and there, aren't I?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 Jun 2011, 11:22 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
OJani wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:
the person who kills this thread is going to be a legend

I'm trying, let's see how my reputation stands. :D

Paradoxically, by stating that you are attempting to kill this thread, you have bestowed upon it invulnerability to death except by act of god (admin). For in having declared your intent, you set up a competition between all thread killers and each will attempt to be the last post in the thread. Infinite regress ensues ...

Lol. This would be funny if it essentially turned into a "Last Post Wins!" thread in a section other than the random section.

[NOTE TO MODS: this topic was meant for the autism forum. I suspected that the tendency to kill conversations in real life and in online threads was common among aspies, but I could be wrong and I'm exploring that now. I'm also exploring the reasons behind these "conversation" killing replies like, for example, what exactly characterizes "awkwardness"?]

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 11:26 am

wavefreak58 wrote:

Hhmm, well I may be a tad pedantic here but surely by adding to a thread you cannot be causing regress?

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

nemorosa wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

Hhmm, well I may be a tad pedantic here but surely by adding to a thread you cannot be causing regress?

Regress is invoked because the actual useful content of the thread is diminished by the square of the number of posts attempting to end the thread. We quickly regress towards zero useful content, though strictly speaking it would be the Lim 1/x^2 as x->infinity which, while it indeed converges to zero, we never actually achieve an infinite post count. That said, in cases where the thread is terminated by an admin, we can calculate the exact degradation of useful content as C'=C*1/x^2 where C = actual useful content and x is the number of posts that attempt to end the thread. One should note that attempts to save a thread by adding additional useful content inevitably fail because the degradation varies inversely as the square of x while the increase in useful content is only linear.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

I've killed many threads on WP.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
Regress is invoked because the actual useful content of the thread is diminished by the square of the number of posts attempting to end the thread.

What is 'useful content' and how is it measured?

Sorry, I really wanted to let you kill off the thread but that was a question begging for an answer. :)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:50 pm

nemorosa wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
Regress is invoked because the actual useful content of the thread is diminished by the square of the number of posts attempting to end the thread.

What is 'useful content' and how is it measured?

Sorry, I really wanted to let you kill off the thread but that was a question begging for an answer. :)

Useful content is anything that decreases the Shannon Entropy of the underlying data stream.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

swbluto starts threads for Africa, shows little to no AS in written forum word, kills no threads, then accuses you of thread killing :wink:

Its like that furry hamster thingy is laughing at me!

If I was a moderator I would report this

I have never killed a thread

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

Surfman wrote:
swbluto starts threads for Africa, shows little to no AS in written forum word, kills no threads, then accuses you of thread killing :wink:

Its like that furry hamster thingy is laughing at me!

If I was a moderator I would report this

I have never killed a thread

:?

While I did "start a thread for africa"(That was actually modified upon the suggestion of other posters), showing "little to no AS" is fairly debatable (For example, I'm guessing this response is pretty AS because I'm taking your post seriously when your online persona is typically joking suggesting your post is a joke, but it doesn't "read like it", despite the winky.), I've killed threads and ... I never accused anyone of killing threads. I just asked if it was a common AS trait because it seems to happen to me quite often in "conversation" and in other NT forums online (And other forms of online communication).

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

I have a really bad habit of saying things that are inappropiate to people and not realizing why or how the thing I said was inappropiate.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

Whos the winner?

leyton84
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

In conversation I'll usually blurt out something irrelevant, mainly because I'm very self conciousess of being thought of as quiet so I'll try and say anything at all even if it doesn't fit. That usually kills the conversation stone dead

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 4:24 pm

Stinking up the place is my preferred option, in as much more skunk-like than rodent smells, it offers a prime example of how speech and aspie expression need to meld into coherence or STFU within societal preferential treatment of neurotypical conventions

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

Surfman wrote:
Stinking up the place is my preferred option, in as much more skunk-like than rodent smells,

Succinctly explaining your avatar.

Last edited by wavefreak58 on 12 Jun 2011, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:45 am

I get the last word on a thread fairly frequently.

ruveyn