Are you a Conversation / Thread killer?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 Jun 2011, 12:25 am

So, in either a "normal conversation" or "normal thread", do you have a habit for quickly killing conversation or, the digital equivalent, killing an online thread (Let's say the thread is on a predominantly NT forum, and the thread itself isn't just your similarly aspergian cronies, as we know there's an aspie clique on most forums as aspies tend to be relatively common on forums.) by saying something that isn't "appropriate" within the context of 'the conversation' that's at the end of the thread, for whatever reason (And you don't know why it's not inappropriate)? Is this an aspie trait?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 1:58 am

swbluto wrote:
So, in either a "normal conversation" or "normal thread", do you have a habit for quickly killing conversation or, the digital equivalent, killing an online thread (Let's say the thread is on a predominantly NT forum, and the thread itself isn't just your similarly aspergian cronies, as we know there's an aspie clique on most forums as aspies tend to be relatively common on forums.) by saying something that isn't "appropriate" within the context of 'the conversation' that's at the end of the thread, for whatever reason (And you don't know why it's not inappropriate)? Is this an aspie trait?

ROFL! yes it seems to happen to me on WP!

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 2:09 am

I am a thread killer too I think, not proud of it either lol, but I'm working on it

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jun 2011, 2:19 am

swbluto wrote:

Oh, this happens to me here and there.

Sometimes what happens isn't so much that I kill the thread as NTs stop replying to me and start talking over and around my responses.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

10 Jun 2011, 2:27 am

ya I have even done it a few times on here....to my OWN threads...go figure.

usually when I kill a thread, I say something really intelgent....which doesnt happen often, but when I do....the thread dies. I dont get this phenomenon.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 2:40 am

Oh, I'm killing my own threads either. See last two. :wink:

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:31 am

Sometimes, I never know what to talk about other than my interests in general conversations where I can't relate particularly well with the other person, or said person is quieter than I (I go to AS meetups so it's not uncommon).
Nobody will reply after me on this thread, but now I've said it someone will prove me wrong ;)

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 7:03 am

I try to express what experience has taught me regarding what the thread appears to me to be about.

Sometimes, that strikes a response from someone else involved. Sometimes it doesn't and the thread dies. One thing I've never found is anyone else whose experience has taught them similar things.

Well, that's not entirely true. There are one or two people out there in the infosphere whose experience appears to me to have taught them similar things to what I've learned. I've just never successfully struck up a conversation with one of them.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 Jun 2011, 8:13 am

Found this definition of thread killer at urbandictionary, and it had 16 thumbs up and absolutely no thumbs down... meaning, it must be right!

Quote:
A person who makes some kind of awkward comment on a status thread, which stops the thread dead in it's tracks.

Some of the reasons for the thread stopping on the thread killer's comment:

1. Other threaders don't know this person well, so take the comment in a negative light.

2. They remember her/him being a "weirdo" in school/former or current job, etc.

3. Other comments in the past by the thread killer were confusing and possibly: crude, inappropriate or might appear hurtful, due to the absence of a smilies or winkies.

I'm not sure what the term "status thread" means, but it seems the underlying theme is being a "weirdo" and/or making awkward comments. That's interesting, because that almost seems definitive of aspie-like responses in NT social contexts.

Oh, since I've probably did it again,...

:lol:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:34 am

swbluto wrote:
(Let's say the thread is on a predominantly NT forum, and the thread itself isn't just your similarly aspergian cronies, as we know there's an aspie clique on most forums as aspies tend to be relatively common on forums.)

Do you have any evidence of this rather bizarre assumption? Is there an 'aspie' indicator somewhere in online forums that I don't know about?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:45 am

I try to say things people want to hear

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 8:47 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
swbluto wrote:
(Let's say the thread is on a predominantly NT forum, and the thread itself isn't just your similarly aspergian cronies, as we know there's an aspie clique on most forums as aspies tend to be relatively common on forums.)

Do you have any evidence of this rather bizarre assumption? Is there an 'aspie' indicator somewhere in online forums that I don't know about?

It wasn't really meant seriously. It was simply a way of saying "Let's say in an NT thread".

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:25 am

the person who kills this thread is going to be a legend

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:33 am

I am not good at killing threads, largely due to my habit of only responding within the first 6 posts in new topics.

But my comments are good at starting online riots, some of which have lasted months on end and required moderators to step in.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:45 am

swbluto wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
swbluto wrote:

It wasn't really meant seriously. It was simply a way of saying "Let's say in an NT thread".

Ok.

So this is a thread not to be taken seriously?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
the person who kills this thread is going to be a legend

I'm trying, let's see how my reputation stands. :D

(More from Urban Dictionary)

Killing puppies 1 up, 3 down

1. to ask a dumb question that has already been answers several times prior. 2.user fails to read or search already existing threads related and answering their question. 3. asking a question which answers are obvious. 4. by answering the same question over and over, you are killing the time, happiness, and goodness in people.
Post 1: How do you build a trapper?
Post 2: *kills a puppy* Read the dam wiki.
Post 3: Here we go, killing puppies again.
-----
1. Nobody knows how to respond to bashturn's brilliant stupidity, so he is often a thread killer.

2. JPKeates usually explains why a thread must end with a great last post. He is a very accomplished thread killer.

3. CJ and Dug are thread killers, six threads got locked today because of their off topic ramblings.