Can you hear weird things that normal people can't?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

YoshiPikachu wrote:
Can you? I can. It is the weirdest thing. I can heard the sound a tv makes when it is left on a blank screen.

I can hear this as well, which is one reason I watch little or no tv. Also if there is a device like a cell phone, or Nintendo DS and it is plugged in to charge...I can't even stay in the same room. The frequency it emits drives me mad, even if there are other things going on.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
You mean when the screen is on but not showing anything? I thought everybody could hear that :?
'

Nope.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

I can hear it also the worst I have heard is a B/W Security Monitor the Flyback transformers are the worst.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

I have good hearing, but it is by no means good enough to the point where I can hear things most people can't. Right now, I can hear the fan from my computer, the sound that my keyboard makes when I type on it, and water running outside. But that's it.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

Last few days I hear this tone about 7000hz, only for a few seconds. Just like a hearing test.

I have no idea where it is coming from

Reagan15
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jul 2016, 11:42 am

I hear things like doors closing or opining when others don't. I also here my name being called and no one else hears it or says it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 1:55 pm

When i was younger i could hear high frequencies others could not, but that was before i blasted my hearing with playing electric guitars and drums in various highschool metal bands.

Irony is that i still can hear a continous very high pitch *iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii*, but that is because i now have Tinnitus :?

Moonrocks
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

I notice the TV buzzing, I also hear phone chargers and lights... And I also have a very keen sense of hearing outdoors. I went on a hike and kept hearing things. I hiked 4 miles and heard 2 lizards, a snake and a turtle along the trail. It weirded a couple of people out... But as far as I've ever known I am NT, although some of these quizzes floating around really make me question that.

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm

I HATED the sound picture tube tvs made. I don't notice it with my plasma but that could be because there are laptops with bigger screens than my TV. My PS4 makes that noise and it drives me nuts.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 5:41 pm

My mom calls me "radar ears" because of this. Her cell phone often starts vibrating in a room in the other side of the house, and I'm able locate it and bring it to her to answer, even though she heard nothing. When I wake up early for whatever reason, I can hear every word of my parents' conversation in the kitchen, even though my room is far away and I'm laying in bed with the door closed. I also hear things like my computer's monitor humming, electricity squealing from chargers, highway traffic from a mile away, and a mosquito buzzing on the other side of the room (This sound really bothers me, and people who don't hear it wonder why I get so agitated.).

Stephen__
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

Not sure about hearing but I smell things. Like one time I was with some people looking for a spot to lay out a picnic blanket. Someone picked a nice spot but I said no it smells like ants. They thought I was crazy and told me ants don't smell. Sure enough there was an ants nest.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 7:59 pm

I realize this thread is around 5 years old, but.....

Yeah, I always hear things no one else hears.

On my thermostat, where I turn-on the air-conditioner, it has a selection "Auto", for the house fan; I have that on 24/7, to serve as a white noise machine. It's MURDER though, when, for instance, a storm knocks-out the electricity----the cacophony just makes you want to scream, and have the earth just open-up and swallow you whole.

Rich1978
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2016, 3:38 pm

I was really into old volkswagens in my 20's and one time I smelled a beetle that was parked somewhat nearby and out of sight.

I gave up asking others about those little annoying sounds so I don't have to feel weird about it. Although sometimes I act like a crazy person walking around tracking sounds down to find a way to stop them. One sound that annoys me is the one that comes from speakers (car speakers for ex.) when a cell phone is doing some kind of communication. Sometimes I can tell if a text message is coming before it gets to my phone because of this.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 5:21 pm

yeah, i can hear cars pass by when they are on the other side of 2 fields (even 3 some times). i can hear the air resistance they produce...whats it called....the Doppler effect on the wind? i can also hear the tv, its like a high pitch sound, only happens on some tv's though (certainly bulkier ones). its weird, and kind of hurts. i can hear the cars outside my house too, i can even hear cars coming down the road a while before they actually come into view

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:06 am

I had a funny encounter with my weird hearing when I was in the house looking out the window at a relative talking to a tradesman at the other end of the yard. My relative came in and repeated something the tradesman had said.
I replied "I know, I heard."
She was very weirded out that I could hear her conversation from inside a shuttered house and yards away.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 11:12 am

I can hear lots of stuff that many people might not be able to, such as my computer whirring and I can even hear my 3DS make noise even when the volume is turned all the way down. My mum jokes that I have Vulcan hearing. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII