Autism/Aspergers and learning disorders

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

Hi all! Just wondering if there is any link between ASD's and learning disorders. Last year I was diagnosed with severe ADD and, in a few weeks, I am going in to be tested for Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, and Dyscalculia. Dypraxia is a visual processing disorder and Dyscalculia is a math disorder. Basically, even though I am a college student, I still struggle with basic 5th grade math and I have a penchant for running into things, even if there is 6 feet of empty space to get by. I have a hard time judging things without actually being able to count them, and I still count on my fingers. I also cannot read a map. These are just a few symptoms that I encounter almost daily (except for that whole "map reading" thing).

Anyway, just wondering if there is a link between Autism and learning disorders. Does anybody else have any? Sometimes I feel like the only Aspie who can't do math:(

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

I have a learning disability I have no trouble with reading and writing but I always had trouble with maths I even did a numeracy course which helped me with adding up and taking away but that's as far as I can go I use a calculator as its easier for me when I do my banking.

I went to a special school instead of high school there was no way I could cope in high school with my problems and I felt more comfortable at the special school I had friends there.
People I could relate too.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 10:27 pm

I'm awful at math. I have to count on my fingers to add double digit numbers without a calculator, and anything more complicated is a nightmare. I've also got auditory processing disorder, which basically means that I can hear spoken words clearly and yet they don't register in my brain at all. I also call it audio dyslexia. Plenty of other people on these forums have it. And then there's my ADD problem which makes it impossible to focus on something that doesn't interest me, and the other problem that I refer to as dyslexia because I don't know what else to call it, which sometimes makes the words on a page appear as a jumbled blur. So no, you're not alone.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2011, 2:56 am

Lol I also can't read a map to save my life. Thank goodness for GPS. I'm directionally challenged on the road. However on foot it's a different story. :D

I have difficulty reading. It literally takes me months to finish a short 200 page book. I always get distracted, and can never fully finish reading more than 2 pages in one sitting.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

Madao wrote:
Lol I also can't read a map to save my life. Thank goodness for GPS. I'm directionally challenged on the road. However on foot it's a different story. :D

I have difficulty reading. It literally takes me months to finish a short 200 page book. I always get distracted, and can never fully finish reading more than 2 pages in one sitting.

Yeah. Timed reading tests bug me because I have a set amount of time to read something that usually takes me twice as long to read as the time they give me, so I usually end up skipping sections.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 2:20 am

I'm a slow reader too, I usually read at half to two third the speed that of average students/people. I'm easily distracted too, I think I have both ADD and learning difficulties. I'm having hard time to concentrate on doing things other than what I like to do. I'm not good at learning, retaining and recalling names and factual/lexical knowledge, and I'm not particularly good at numbers either. I'm average at math, a recently taken IQ test indicates it in line with my own experience.

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 8:45 am

OJani, do you have anybody who can help you? Like a doctor or friend or something?