What motivates you? Are you unmotivatable?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
I think it's knowing where to start what's more difficult for me than actually doing it. Once I get doing it, I feel fine and I would carry on. But it's making a start on things that are so difficult for me.

The "start-stop" problem is a well known feature of AS.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:38 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I think it's knowing where to start what's more difficult for me than actually doing it. Once I get doing it, I feel fine and I would carry on. But it's making a start on things that are so difficult for me.

Well, I've certainly got that problem, but isn't it also a feature of ADHD?

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:20 am

Things that can motivate me:

- sense of achievement / pride
- sense of responsibility / guilt
- seeing my children happy
- money and yummy food
- alone time as reward

Mostly the first two motivate me. I have lists of everything that I cross off when a task is finished. That's how I can manage to get anything done. There are lots of things I don't want to do at all, but I'm supposed to do them. Like hosting parties, buying birthday and xmas presents, keeping in touch with parents and relatives, listening to people's troubles and offering advices, sometimes even sex is on the list. 8O I keep my feelings out of my to-do lists, and stick to what need to be done, and take pride in my accomplishments. There are times I just feel like crying for no particular reason, but I rarely allow myself to cry. It doesn't help anything and just make my nose stuffy. I know I'm too practical, but if I'm not I'll be confused all the time. At least right now I never freak out and always know what to do in every situation.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

Aimless wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Well, I've certainly got that problem, but isn't it also a feature of ADHD?

I don't know......anybody? Must say it's a real bummer. So often I decide what I need to do, and then days later I still haven't made a start. Then when I do finally make a start, I can't stop. It's downright scary and it doesn't help me to like myself. It's never caused me any terrible problems, because somehow the really urgent stuff always seems to get done in the nick of time, but if I could just crack on with it, I'd feel so much safer, instead of feeling scared and like an idiot. Sometimes I wonder if my reaction to the start-stop problem is doing more harm than the problem itself.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 9:04 am

schleppenheimer wrote:
I have a son who has inattentive ADD, or ADD-PI (or whatever they're calling it nowadays). Basically, he is not hyperactive, but has serious problems with paying attention in a school setting, or paying attention to anything that doesn't include his special interest(s).

My son takes stimulants, which are supposed to help increase his ability to pay attention. I think that they do help with attention, but what I'm noticing now is that he completely lacks motivation to do anything. I do NOT see this complete lack of motivation when he is NOT taking his meds. In the past when I've read about other people who take stimulants, and if they are working correctly, these people maintain that they suddenly feel the desire to finish activities, and that they have sort of a rough time not doing something.

For example, without meds, my son is scattered, but bounces around the house doing a variety of things (it is summer, after all). He doesn't really concentrate on anything, but he enjoys his video games and especially Live Xbox, as well as playing games on his iTouch, or watching TV. He's pretty much game for anything, including socializing. When he's on his meds, however, he plays sudoku for hours on end, never moving from the couch. That just seems to be totally the OPPOSITE of what I was expecting from his behavior on stimulant meds...

Also, I'm wondering -- for those of you who lacked motivation in your teen years -- were you ever able to self-motivate as you got older? Did you finish college, find a job, find a group you felt comfortable with? Or did you never get that far, totally because you lacked motivation?

Quote:
however, he plays sudoku for hours on end, never moving from the couch. That just seems to be totally the OPPOSITE of what I was expecting from his behavior on stimulant meds...

This should be the ticket to success in any endeavor. I was fortunate I had " hyperfocus" without meds.

But a problem arises for me: I have a type of start up problem (non AS related), and it seems like an "inertia." Whatever track I'm on is the default track, and it takes a conscious effort to get "off" and slowly get accustomed to do something else. Multitasking would be my Achilles heel. I start to make too many mistakes in this. Same for my wife( attention def. inattentive).

I don't think you can have it both ways: Hyper focus and multi -tasking. I've read that it is not uncommon for someone with ADHD(unmedicated) to not be steadily employed, as in bouncing around from job to job. This has been different for me(us).

I believe the "focus" is only where the job success would come in at with Attention Deficit.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

My father, who had many AS traits, could start things easily, he always had some project going, but he never finished anything and that included his master's. He wrote the thesis but backed off when he had to face the orals. He loved to take language classes at the local community college and would do well until the class progressed to the point he would have to speak before the class, then he would drop out.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

Aimless wrote:
My father, who had many AS traits, could start things easily, he always had some project going, but he never finished anything and that included his master's. He wrote the thesis but backed off when he had to face the orals. He loved to take language classes at the local community college and would do well until the class progressed to the point he would have to speak before the class, then he would drop out.

You're right. Both I and at least one other Aspie I know have whinged repeatedly about having too many open projects. I still notice a delay in starting (though I wonder if anybody else would notice, as they don't know much about my plans). Bringing a project to a proper conclusion is perhaps a little different to simply stopping work, because if you don't stop work, you will eventually complete the mission, as long as you don't go out on a tangent to the original remit. It's complicated. I have trouble starting, though at times I can impulsively start projects that I haven't thought through. I often think that my reluctance to begin is a reaction to a more innate tendency to jump in and get bogged down.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

Goals motivate me.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:30 am

Jonsi wrote:
Goals motivate me.

Goals? Now there's something I have a real problem with. I'm just too unfocused for goals and my present economic status reflects that.