Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

Hi, I was wondering if people with AS tend to release their emotions without knowing it in unusual ways, but especially without knowing they're doing it. I know when I'm irritable my voice is harsh and I rely on others to tell me this.

The special case I am wondering about is that I sometimes hum specific segments of a song without thinking about it. In my mind I am saying the words. It is always an expression of emotions. I have ignored this humming for the first 20 years of my life and I just thought it was some normal thing that people do, but lately I have been analyzing what I hum, and I've been thinking very hard about what it could mean.

I think that the songs, which are mostly lyrics from oldies music that my dad plays when we're in the car, are an expression of my deeper inner emotions that I am not directly aware of somehow getting to the surface. I was never interested in music, preferring to have alone perfect silence, but now I think that this could be of interest in assisting my subconscious with telling me how I feel.

So, what do you think?

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2011, 5:36 pm

I rely a lot on my partner to tell me when I am getting stressed out. She very often sees the signs (getting angry at something, rocking, pulling out my hair, hand movements) before I do. I very often don't realize that something is stressing me until it is quite extreme. I find it both hard to identify and hard to find the words to explain to myself and others.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2011, 4:12 am

The only really obvious thing for me is I stim more vehemently depending on how stressed I get.
I have gotten very good at hiding my thoughts and feelings. Only stimming is the thing I do without thinking because I do it 24/7 by cracking my joints or tightening certain muscles or blinking funny.
I am the opposite in terms of sounds. Music decreases my stimming because the sensations from the bass are a greater stim on its own. So when I get emotional or really stressed, I listen to music.