Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

If someone had to take disability and get long term benefits through insurance, should Asperger's be considered a mental or physical disability?
It is neurological and should be considered a physical disability. 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
It should be considered as a mental disability for disability purposes as the mental symptoms would be what cause workplace problems. 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 15

ACT-KC
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

At work (I work in a hospital in Kansas), we have long term disability provided to us insured through a company. The company only pays for 24 months disability if the condition is "mental" and indefinately for "physical". Just being curious, I called to ask what neurological conditions fell under and specifically mentioned Asperger's and HFA. The representative stated she didn't know, placed me on hold and then came back to say that they couldn't give me a definate answer and that their benefits admin would be able to tell me only after a claim was filed. I am not wanting to file a claim.

Legally, does anybody know if Asperger's related disability (the specific symptoms of such not associated depression or anxiety) as a neurological condition should be classified as a physical disability? I know it depends on what symptoms the person is seeking disability for (and I am not seeking it) but I have a bad feeling that anyone who does through a company insured financial group would probably get stuck into the "Mental" category of exculsions (in my case a limit of 24 months coverage).

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

If you wanna be very technical about it, all illnesses are physical.

However the DSM classifies it as a mental disability

Sure it has a physical cause, but it primarily manifests itself mentally, that's how you decide which it is.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

It seems to me that the 24 months mental disability can only logically apply to things that are assumed to be treatable or that you can "get over" like depression or whatever else that pharms might help. But this isn't the case with aspergers, it's a physical difference of the brain, SOOOO hm. Interesting problem...

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:25 pm

In the united states the social security administration has autism as a mental disorder.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:43 pm

Quote:
At work (I work in a hospital in Kansas), we have long term disability provided to us insured through a company. The company only pays for 24 months disability if the condition is "mental" and indefinately for "physical".

That is ridiculous. Physical vs mental says nothing about how long the condition will endure. I mean, plenty of mental conditions (autism/AS included) are lifelong, and on the other hand conditions such as broken limbs or whatever are temporary physical disabilities. It makes absolutely no sense to divide length of coverage by physical vs mental. They should divide it by permanent vs temporary based on a doctor's judgement of prognosis, like my university does.

Honestly, I have no idea where they got the impression that physical disabilities are more permanent than mental ones...

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 9:06 pm

It is considered a mental disability where I work.

Which hospital do you work at in Kansas City area? Chances are I have been there. I am kind of a clutz.