Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

umbra
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2006, 5:00 pm

How old were you when you were officially diagnosed with AS/HFA/PDD? I was diagnosed with AS at age 20.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 5:01 pm

I think it was around 9 years of age when i was diagnosed with AS.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 5:19 pm

I was diagnosed when I was two years old. I had my MMR vaccine around then. That's when I started acting a little bit weird.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 5:31 pm

I had the MMR vaccine when I was about 2, and from then on, apparently my behaviour changed. I was apparently diagnosed at the age of 5 but then it wasn't confirmed or something. When my medical records arrive in the next couple of months, I am going to go through them and see how far this so called diagnosis actually went. My parents are unable to tell me anything.

umbra

26 Jul 2006, 5:51 pm

Captain_Brown wrote:
I was diagnosed when I was two years old. I had my MMR vaccine around then. That's when I started acting a little bit weird.

How is it possible to diagnose a 2-year-old with AS? I've never heard of someone as young as 2 being diagnosed with AS. If the doctor suspects autistic symptoms at that age, the diagnosis is usually PDD-NOS or Autism (which may be later re-diagnosed as AS).

I'd also like to point out that scientific studies have proven that the MMR vaccine does not cause autism. A recent study published in the journal Pediatrics shows that the rate of Autism in children continued to increase even after thymerosal was removed from vaccines. Also, the type of mercury in thymerosal is not the type of mercury that is poisonous to humans. It is merely coincidence that many cases of Autism become apparent when children are 2, the same age they happen to receive the MMR vaccine.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:13 pm

i was diagnosed when i was 32...i was stabbed by a broekn thermometer (with mercury) in my pocket at the time ..does this coiunt?

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:24 pm

I was 40 when I found out about AS, got official diagnosis a year later.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:42 pm

16 or 17?

My parents weren't very open with the diagnosis until I was over 20, but they made zero effort at trying to help me understand it. I was so depressed at the time, I didn't even start reading about it until I was nearly 25 (and I'm 25 now).

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

26 Jul 2006, 10:11 pm

I was diagnosed at eleven.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 10:20 am

I was diagnosed when I was 4.

Found out when I was 10. My mum had to tell me at the right time and when I knew what it was.

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 3:42 pm

umbra wrote:
I'd also like to point out that scientific studies have proven that the MMR vaccine does not cause autism. A recent study published in the journal Pediatrics shows that the rate of Autism in children continued to increase even after thymerosal was removed from vaccines. Also, the type of mercury in thymerosal is not the type of mercury that is poisonous to humans. It is merely coincidence that many cases of Autism become apparent when children are 2, the same age they happen to receive the MMR vaccine.

I had the MMR vaccine when I was 1 year old, and according to my mom, the change happened immediately after the vaccination.

It may not be the mercury, but it might be the actual vaccine itself. Perhaps there is something in the dead virus(es) that causes it?

innocuous
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jul 2006, 2:38 pm

At 15. I'm 19 now.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 2:48 pm

I was 13 when a school psychologyst said "I think he might Have Asperger's syndrome"....well that was it i started getting treated for it right away and since I military health insurance (dad was in air force) they wont shell out the bucks for an official diagnosis,they just keep me "drugged up"

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2006, 4:13 pm

I am 32. On 13 july this year, the psychiatrist told me "I can't give you an official diagnosis, but I think you're probably right in your suspicions that you have Asperger's Syndrome." I have my next appointment with her on 10 August, along with the Asperger's Syndrome Social Worker (whatever that means.) So I'm unofficially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome by my psychiatrist, and hope to get an official DX in August.

I've given her a 16-page document on my life till I was 20 plus a mass of reasons why I think I have AS. To my next appointment i will be taking, in case they help:

My School reports from when I was 14 and 15
My College reports from when I was 16-17 and 18
A timetable of my obsessions from the age of 12 to the present day
My lists of items in my Jurassic Park, Pokemon, and keyring collections
One of my many pokemon collections (Burger King clip-on plushies)
My bus pass photo from when I was obsesseed with strar trek: deep space nine2 and wore a Bajoran nose in my pass photo

Julie

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 9:10 pm

27, just a few weeks ago. Prior to that I had been mis-diagnosed for years as having a lot of mental illnesses.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2006, 11:03 pm

Yeah, me too Mnemosyne. Same age, also misdiagnoses.
Was diagnosed with some anxiety disorders, now I know it is just some sensory differences.
Being diagnosed with HFA at age 27 was a big thing for me. I am 29 now and still coming to terms with it!