Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 6:00 pm

Somehow, I find it difficult to look for subjects outside my hobbies on the internet. I have had the internet search engine up and wanted to look at something new, but I just stared at the search engine page! I just could not think of anything!

Does anyone else get this? I am not just saying it is one occasion that this happens. I need some sort of prompt to think of a subject that does not involve a special interest or an interest of mine.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 6:55 pm

I don't normally find it easy to just think of something out of thin air, and I've never even tried to sit there with a search engine open and type something into the box. When I use a search engine it's to find out about something I've just read or started to wonder about. Most of the ideas that come into my head aren't de novo, they're generated by a parent idea, something has to seed it. I suspect that may be fairly typical of most people.

I guess it could be done by sticking a pin in a page of a book or something, but I never do that. I don't really see the need unless I was trying to write song lyrics or poetry and was getting writer's block.

I can't even think of a song to perform just like that. I have to look at my list of songs and pick one. Even that isn't easy.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 6:57 pm

Enjoy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... l_articles

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:03 pm

I get that. I have trouble finding new things to learn about as well without a prompt.

^ Wikipedia is a good place to lose oneself in by following links.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 7:51 pm

I have problems with very broad question such as what do you want to do this weekend? I just can't identify one choice out of all the possible choices. If it is straightforward, do you want to go to a movie, that I can answer. So when faced with the internet, I need a particular direction, not all the possible directions. Apparently, this is common in autism.

greenmm37
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2020, 8:00 pm

I experience this a bit...I used to love using the internet rather indiscriminately when I was young and seemed to get lost in things, but nowadays I feel extremely limited in visiting the same pages/sites. Even fun links like the wikipedia articles shared above really need me to be in the right mood to explore.

Generally I can search knitting and sewing patterns and tutorials on the same few sites - I use search engines purely for questions (about a video game, actor I recognize, health concern, etc) as they come up for me, not for fun.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 1:27 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Somehow, I find it difficult to look for subjects outside my hobbies on the internet. I have had the internet search engine up and wanted to look at something new, but I just stared at the search engine page! I just could not think of anything!

Does anyone else get this? I am not just saying it is one occasion that this happens. I need some sort of prompt to think of a subject that does not involve a special interest or an interest of mine.

Ummm,
How about: "HO" scale? :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 1:32 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't normally find it easy to just think of something out of thin air, and I've never even tried to sit there with a search engine open and type something into the box.

I found youtube had an amazing number of interesting vids.
I'd recommend looking there. 8)

You could look at this one,
And that one,
And the one behind the first one.

No point being specific since an individual's preference is an individual's preference. 8)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 3:10 am

Pepe wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Ummm,
How about: "HO" scale? :mrgreen:

Haha. Have a little ready to convert to 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:08 am

Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if it was common, so is why I asked. I did not think much about it until one of my nieces or nephews pointed out that there is a whole world is out there on the internet... Which I do know, but somehow when I said to myself "Ok. Lets do some exploring" and I just sat there with my tablet and my search engine and I just could not think what to type. Yet if I was on youtube there are lots of suggestions and I can go for days exploring new things! It was that sitting in front of the tablet with the search engine there waiting for me to type something... My mind had hit a wall. I could divert my mind and think of the sites I normally use (Which are not a lot of sites. I tend to use just a few) but to try and think of something else to type... I couldn't. Nothing!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 5:04 am

I’m usually using a search engine for specific information, but occasionally I will plug in two random words and see what comes up.

Back when libraries were open I would sometimes walk down an aisle and close my eyes, reach out and touch a book. I’ve found interesting books that way too.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 5:52 am

Jiheisho wrote:
I have problems with very broad question such as what do you want to do this weekend? I just can't identify one choice out of all the possible choices. If it is straightforward, do you want to go to a movie, that I can answer. So when faced with the internet, I need a particular direction, not all the possible directions. Apparently, this is common in autism.

I have this with dinner. My mum will ask me what I want to eat. I ask her what she's eating before making my mind up. It doesn't have to be the same meal, she doesn't have to cook it. But for eg if she's having spaghetti hoops, I'll have pasta and if she's having potatoes and quiche I'll have potatoes and pie. Her meal 'inspires' my meal.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:13 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I was not sure if it was common, so is why I asked. I did not think much about it until one of my nieces or nephews pointed out that there is a whole world is out there on the internet... Which I do know, but somehow when I said to myself "Ok. Lets do some exploring" and I just sat there with my tablet and my search engine and I just could not think what to type. Yet if I was on youtube there are lots of suggestions and I can go for days exploring new things! It was that sitting in front of the tablet with the search engine there waiting for me to type something... My mind had hit a wall. I could divert my mind and think of the sites I normally use (Which are not a lot of sites. I tend to use just a few) but to try and think of something else to type... I couldn't. Nothing!

Psst! :twisted:
P.O.R.N. :mrgreen:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:27 am

Pepe wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Psst! :twisted:
P.O.R.N. :mrgreen:

Uhmm. What does show spoiler mean? What does it refer to? Or the "Psst" bit? Sorry. I do not understand.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:33 am

Gosh. Wish I was like that.

I go to Wiki to look up something I wonder about, and then the Wiki article will cause me to wonder about other things ...which cause me to Wiki those things, and so on. Then I have to exert energy to tear myself away from Wiki.

And UTube is 100 times more addicting than Wikipedia.

To me its as if you are sad that you're not a crackhead, and you want advice on how to become a crackhead! :lol: