Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

...with PDD-NOS :(

" :( " stands for: I don't like this "you don't fit in anywhere else".

So, I just wanted to share this new information about myself with you.

The psychs who diagnosed me (two ladies) said I'm definitely on the autism spectrum, and my traits and difficulties are diagnosable (i.e. I'm qualified).

Why not Asperger's? Because while my verbal abilities are within normal range they are relatively weak in comparison to other subscales of my measured IQ (WAIS-IV).

Why not HFA? (I openly admitted I was expecting this.) Because while the scores of the interview administered to my parents (ADI-R) were relatively high (i.e. my childhood is qualified for me being 'autistic'), the scores of ADOS (observed severity of my symptoms) and other observations of my current state (my problems with life) were relatively low. So, informally, they said "I have a mild form of HFA". They admitted that one can argue that it's HFA, not PDD-NOS (as I do), since there are still uncertainties definitely, but it really does not matter... To me, this seems nonsensical.

OH, HOW I HATE PDD-NOS ! !! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I pointed out for them that this whole assessment is based on many subjective elements (they admitted to it), and that the very existence of my twin-sister might have slanted the whole picture of my early development, especially language and communication. They said it adds to the uncertainty... :?

I will look into more details of my assessment soon. Furthermore, I'll receive treatment, I'll be seeing my shrink regularly (as they say it). :P

Nevertheless, I will receive my diagnosis by mail in one or two weeks, which would be as official as any DX can be.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 10:31 am

We could trade! Since that's not possible, I'm not sure what to say to help.

I have an AS diagnosis despite that the arguments "against" AS that were presented to you also fit me. Overall, my verbal scores on the WISC were lower than my performance IQ. I was also far more autistic in childhood compared to how I can temporarily manage to appear now.

Despite that I can't technically have AS out of the autism spectrum disorders, I decided to stick with that diagnosis for now. It enables me to access the very same services that a diagnosis of classical autism or atypical autism/PDD-NOS would.

In Germany, the difference is pretty much in name only - and in that far too many people expect me to be a verbal genius with an obsessive interest. So I really do plan to get it changed one day when I get the chance.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 10:58 am

Thanks, Sora. I was just thinking that I might just stop posting here on WP since I'm technically no more an Aspie or Autistic. It aggravates me soooo much and pisses me off like hell that hardly anyone seems to understand................... or care.

It's like:

- Hello, I'm X, I have Autism.

- Hi, I'm Y, I have Asperger's.

- Oh, Hi X & Y, I have PDD-NOS.

- WTF??! ! F..ck off.

I don't see how that many criteria of AS or Autism I don't fit in..................................... sigh

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 11:19 am

OJani wrote:
Thanks, Sora. I was just thinking that I might just stop posting here on WP since I'm technically no more an Aspie or Autistic. It aggravates me soooo much and pisses me off like hell that hardly anyone seems to understand................... or care.

You're still autistic, just as autistic as you were before your diagnosis.

You have an autistic spectrum disorder. The fact that its PDD-NOS doesn't really matter. You can still say "I'm autistic" or "I have an ASD".

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 Dec 2011, 11:30 am

OJani wrote:

It's like:

- Hello, I'm X, I have Autism.

- Hi, I'm Y, I have Asperger's.

- Oh, Hi X & Y, I have PDD-NOS.

- WTF??! ! F..ck off.

I don't see how that many criteria of AS or Autism I don't fit in..................................... sigh
The thing I don't like about PDD-NOS is that it's not a really clear diagnosis. Of course it means you're autistic... kind of, sort of, but in what way the shrinks don't know. I don't think any NOS diagnosis of any kind makes sense. If the women who diagnosed you think it's more HFA, then they should just say you're an Aspie.

plantwhisperer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

Now you're making me laugh in the middle of feeling bad for you.

I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted.

Things must work differently in Hungary.
I can think of a bunch of people in the US who are poster children/representees of Aspergers, whose PQ has got to be very much higher than their VQs on the Weschler,
and who have clearly figured out how to function across various settings.
This isn't the place to speculate and name names, but you could probably think of them yourself.
You're in very good company!

I guess it all comes down to the diagnostician.
Which diagnostic manual did they use? I wonder if the DSM-V is going to influence the European system, (I forget the name. Is it ICD-10?)
I know you already know that the definitions are not the thing itself, and are just what they can say about it from the other side of the room.

You're autistic, regardless of the other descriptive words attached to it.

Sorry! :(

MaxPower
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2011, 11:46 am

You have an ASD. What's it matter which subjective label gets applied to it?

Heck, in a year and a half there won't even be "PDD-NOS" or "AS," just ASDs.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 11:55 am

When my daughter was evaluated by the IU at 3 1/2, they, obviously, can't offer a dx but they did recommend services for what they termed 'PDD-NOS'- like symptoms. I really do just think it is code for 'It's autism but damn if we know which kind...". It's cases like this that make the DSM changes upcoming in 2013 a good thing. Autism is autism. You still have a developmental condition that impacts your life in ways that those of normal neurology do not experience.

What I don't understand is WHY a lifetime of adaptive learning does not count in these adult assessments. As long as you can learn to fit in, you can essentially 'cure' yourself of autism? If anything, that sort of thinking makes it even harder on those that HAVE learned to fit in because they are buring out badly from the extended effort of trying to be someone they are not.

They do not know how you think - only you do. I don't think this dx diminishes your struggles. Perhaps it is more of first step.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 12:43 pm

First, thanks to you all for your replies.

SyphonFilter wrote:
Of course it means you're autistic... kind of, sort of, but in what way the shrinks don't know.

That's it.

MaxPower wrote:
Heck, in a year and a half there won't even be "PDD-NOS" or "AS," just ASDs.

I should have waited a little then (sarcastically). Now I could pretty much appreciate the merging (ironically). BTW, will a PDD-NOS diagnosis be automatically considered ASD after the changes?

draelynn wrote:
What I don't understand is WHY a lifetime of adaptive learning does not count in these adult assessments. As long as you can learn to fit in, you can essentially 'cure' yourself of autism? If anything, that sort of thinking makes it even harder on those that HAVE learned to fit in because they are buring out badly from the extended effort of trying to be someone they are not.

They do not know how you think - only you do. I don't think this dx diminishes your struggles. Perhaps it is more of first step.

Thanks, again. I agree with you.

Mahlon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2011, 1:11 pm

Ojani,

Congratulations on your diagnosis! I too just recently after a few years of self diagnosis made the plunge, and oddly enough we kinda had a reverse scenario, I assumed from my own self evaluation that I'd receive a PDD-NOS A.S.D. diagnosis, though I was actually diagnosed with Aspergers.

Please dont' let the specific A.S.D. diagnosis get to you, the heart of the matter is that your trials are being recognized (PDD-NOS is acknowledgement that you are autistic, and that your daily life is impacted by your autism, though according to those doing the evaluation, you don't neatly fall into a Classical / Asperger diagnosis).

As I said in another thread, rather than concentrating on the specific diagnosis, I just tell people that I'm on the Autistic Spectrum. All three diagnosis (Classic / Asperger / PDD-NOS) are autistic, and have autism.

And please Ojani, keep posting and participating on Wrongplanet, nothing has changed IMO and I for one definitely enjoy reading your posts and viewpoints on here.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 1:46 pm

Ojani, though I understand your feeling of things not being quite right, I'm also happy you got a diagnosis. This is good news, and it's making my day a bit better knowing you've had that measure of success. It gives me hope.

Please don't leave Wrong Planet. You belong!

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 1:47 pm

Thanks, Mahlon.

So, according to this new intelligence of mine, this is really a world of confusion. In so much as:

- John-Elder Robison had a family, two wifes, has a son, now is pretty good at socializing, has Asperger's.

- Sean Barron has a good job, a girlfriend, many friends and acquaintances, has Classic Autism.

- Ian Ford, author of "A Field Guide to Earthlings" is pretty successful in life (daughter, wife, works on his own), he is "autistic".

- According to the Social Thinking, Social Communication Profile study (ST-SCP) I almost perfectly fit into ESC. There are autistics here with DX who admittedly fit in SASC or WISC, these are milder categories.

http://www.autism-community.com/wp-cont ... rofile.pdf

Abstract: http://www.autism-community.com/the-soc ... n-profile/

Still mad.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2011, 2:03 pm

You've actually presented a great question that no one has answered yet.

If one has been diagnosed with something specific, when the changes to the DSM are made... what happens to those DXs?

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

09 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

jayroo79 wrote:

If one has been diagnosed with something specific, when the changes to the DSM are made... what happens to those DXs?
They will remain what they are. The new diagnoses only affect those will be be diagnosed in 2013 or beyond.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 4:11 pm

MindWithoutWalls, Thanks.

jayroo79 wrote:

Asperger's and classic autism diagnoses will be automatically covered by the new ASD. I've seen someone else here asking what will happen to PDD-NOS diagnoses, and so far I haven't seen anything reassuring that it will be automatically covered, too. However, according to this

http://lifedevelopmentinstitute.org/asp ... wait-what/

all three would be folded into the new ASD.

A good comprehensive post about what PDD-NOS means in practice AND theory (I came across):
https://ballastexistenz.wordpress.com/2 ... lly-means/

In a previous thread aghogday brought up the question of PDD-NOS and DSM-V:
DSM5, Will some of us loose the diagnosis?

Some with PDD-NOS diagnosis currently may fall under a new label in DSM-V, Social Communication Disorder (SCD).

http://crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com/2 ... r-new.html
Quote:
As Happé suggests, it seems likely that many people who currently reside in the PDD-NOS pigeon hole would meet the SCD criteria. However, I'm not sure that the criteria necessarily capture the extent of the issues they face. As Will Mandy mentioned in his comment to my post:

"Our clinical experience is that children with PDD-NOS (i.e. mainly individuals with severe autistic social-communication difficulties, but without high levels of repetitive and stereotyped behaviours) are similar to those with a full autism diagnosis in terms of their functional impairment."

How this will all play out in practice in terms of access to services and interventions, I don't pretend to know. I'd certainly welcome comments from people better informed than I.

I have a bad feeling about all this.

readingbetweenlines
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

MindWithoutWalls wrote:
Ojani, though I understand your feeling of things not being quite right, I'm also happy you got a diagnosis. This is good news, and it's making my day a bit better knowing you've had that measure of success. It gives me hope.

Please don't leave Wrong Planet. You belong!

^^^^ this. Heck, I'm one of those weird NTs who feel at home on WP.
So if I think I can post here OJani, you DEFINITELY should.