Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2012, 8:09 pm

I'll keep this as brief as I can.

When I was in college one of my roommates got extremely drunk and started throwing things over the room and yelling at people. One of the things he did was repeatedly punch my door. My doors were two French double doors and he broke the glass on several windows.

I basically just stood there and watched him smash up my door. I didn't really care as I was about to move out in a couple weeks anyway. Now the reason why the drunk guy was so angry should be private. I'll just say that somebody did something to him to make him infuriated, then left the house leaving the rest of us to deal with him. At that time, I didn't make it a priority of mine to tell the landlord about him as somebody stole his laptop containing his homework and had other nasty things done to him. But somebody else told the landlord about him so he was kicked out of the house. He knew I didn't tell him so after a couple days he apologized and offered to pay for the glass window.

Fast forward:

A few months later he invites me to go to a small party. I was a bit skeptical about this as I thought he might still harbor ill feelings to me but I went anyway. Well, I can't believe I'm posting this, but he ended up stealing my wallet, my keys, and my winter jacket. So I basically had to walk all the way back to my apartment in cold weather without a jacket and I literally had to sleep outside for the night because I had no keys to get back into the house and everyone else was asleep.

Do you think you are too trusting of people?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 8:30 pm

I think it can go in either extreme with AS. I don't trust anyone and it has caused me as many problems as being too trusting would. It really comes down to a persons early experiences. I think in my life there has only been 1 person I have trusted completely and he passed away a few years ago and it really f****d me up.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:49 am

Well, you haven't really said why he should have any ill feelings toward you, but I don't see how anyone could have expected someone to steal their wallet and keys after inviting them to a party. I hope you called the police, however. If not, I'd say you were, if anything, too nice. It's an ugly phrase, "too nice." It shouldn't be possible. But to be sure, you shouldn't let that slide. The guy sounds messed up.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

awsomekid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2012, 8:02 am

AJ89 wrote:

but he ended up stealing my wallet, my keys, and my winter jacket.

Do you think you are too trusting of people?

Did you call the police for that? He could get fined or be put in prison for that.

But for the question i can be to trusting of people i had some bad experiences because of that...

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:01 am

I can sometimes be naive and a little too trusting of people. I mean, once I was walking around with a check, showing it to people, and asking if they knew how I deposited it. My mom got very mad saying it was not a good idea to do that, as someone might steal it.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:52 am

Yes I believe we are very trusting of people. But let me add, after a few more experiences like you had, you will become more wary and cautious. Just think of your episode as a therapy session.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 1:36 pm

I know I've become much more cautious and distrusting of people. The thing is I think too logically, perhaps. When I was asking people, I thought they would just answer. It never occurred to me that anyone would try to take it from me. I mean, whatever for? I've never found any logic in stealing. Unless perhaps it's food or something to survive.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 4:09 pm

I had a boss once that tried his hardest to break me of my naivete. Oh well.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 9:55 pm

I am extremely untrusting. I think it depends on your experiences.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jul 2012, 10:11 pm

My problem is not trusting people enough. :?

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2012, 10:17 pm

Wow. That sucks. I hope you called the cops.

I think, because we can't pick up on the subtle cues that NTs do in social situations, we tend to either trust everyone, or trust no one.

I made a concious decision to believe the best about people. Yes, sometimes I get screwed over by people because of it, but 'm happier that way, as opposed to if I assumed the worst, and had to live in THAT reality.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm

I don't even interact with my peers enough to say for sure. But I'm definitely not overly trusting. I base my trust on how others treat me, what I observe about them, and on my past experiences. Aspies being so logical and all, you wouldn't think we'd be naively trusting of others.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2012, 11:31 pm

I think paranoid is a better word.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:20 am

I used to be very trusting of people, but one particular friendship I had wound up destroying my ability to completely trust other people (it's a long story). Now my distrust of others swings into paranoia that "everyone's out to get me". Thankfully my antipsychotic medication (which I take for various other things) helps keep it in check.