Do people with Aspergers typically have problems balancing?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 8:29 am

My balance issues are to do with diagnosed Dyspraxia that it is Autism for me.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2023, 9:00 am

I'm fine with riding a bike.

I've know people who couldn't ride bikes and they all had congenital ear problems that affected their balance.

Rollerskating was something I was able to pick up as a child, but only quads (not rollerblades) at a rink. And even then only at a basic level.

Surfing or paddleboarding or skateboarding seems an impossible level of balance for me.

Probably adding to my challenges: I'm tall and have a large skull (one size fits all hats don't fit me). My center of balance is probably higher than average.

I do have major problems with motion sickness. Probably not caused by autism, but exacerbated by it.

I have hand-eye coordination problems with sports, exacerbated by poor depth perception from nearsightedness. My grip is also unreliable; I will abruptly and unintentionally drop things I'm carrying in my hands.

My coordination shows itself most with running. I've got long legs, but I'm a very slow runner. I've been told I run very stiff. It's the kind of thing that probably could have been fixed with some coaching, but nobody recognized the problem when I was growing up. As an athletic friend observed "normal people don't need to be taught how to run" and since I don't have a physical disability it probably never occurred to anyone.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2023, 10:35 am

I discovered that walking around in high heels improved my balance. Those shoes with pointy spikes for heels.

socialemotionalvelocity
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2023, 3:30 pm

Yes, this fits into the sensory processing differences sub-criterion and indicates differences in the vestibular and proprioceptive senses--so if present it can be considered part of the diagnosis.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2023, 11:00 am

BTDT wrote:
I discovered that walking around in high heels improved my balance. Those shoes with pointy spikes for heels.

Sort of by necessity. Of course, it also required wearing shoes that are inherently bad for your feet.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 10:05 pm

I never could master riding a bicycle. I rode horses instead.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 10:23 pm

I have always had problems balancing my interests.

Oh, you mean physically balancing. Not from AS, but for a time I had balancing due to MS. Not a problem now though.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2023, 10:26 pm

Weight Of Memory wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Sort of by necessity. Of course, it also required wearing shoes that are inherently bad for your feet.

I figured the risks are small as long as I kept my weight under 50kg or 8 stones.