Page 7 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Would you personally own firearms?
Poll ended at 25 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:01 pm

Dox47 wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
Besides, gun regulations apply also to the powerful. A Roman noble bearing the cingulum militiae would be the modern equivalent of a senior civil servant and a rich stockholder. To my knowledge, civil servants and rich stockholders are not excluded from gun laws.

Depends on where you are. In DC, government employees are pretty much the only ones able to own and carry guns of any kind, and in NYC and parts of California it is widely acknowledged that the only way to get a carry permit is to be "connected" in some way, wealth fame or politics. Even anti-gun politicians living in anti-gun districts somehow manage to get carry permits their constituents never could receive; Dianne Feinstein, Mike Bloomberg and Dennis Kucinich all come to mind.

You forgot Nancy Pelosi.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:38 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
You forgot Nancy Pelosi.

Not quite as ironic/hypocritical since AFAIK she doesn't have the anti-gun credentials of Mike "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" Bloomberg, Dianne "Mr and Mrs America turn them all in" Feinstein or Dennis "Handgun ban is my party plank (except for me!)" Kucinich. If I listed every hypocritical liberal politician with a carry permit we'd be here all day. :D

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:52 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
You forgot Nancy Pelosi.

Not quite as ironic/hypocritical since AFAIK she doesn't have the anti-gun credentials of Mike "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" Bloomberg, Dianne "Mr and Mrs America turn them all in" Feinstein or Dennis "Handgun ban is my party plank (except for me!)" Kucinich. If I listed every hypocritical liberal politician with a carry permit we'd be here all day. :D

Would you register your guns?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:02 pm

leviathans wrote:
I'm a Canadian and like most Canadians I disapprove easy accessibility to guns and I don't understand why America is so obsessed with firearms.

Speak for yourself ONLY!
Do Not speak for other Canadians!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:09 pm

A child can kill themselves or someone else with a knife via negligence or murder just as easily with a firearm, and it's been done all the same, and it'll continue to be done till the end of humanity as we currently know it.

A school not far from here had one child kill another with a simple kitchen knife not too long ago (I"m sure if it wasn't targeted, he could have stabbed multiple people). Dead is dead.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 10:17 pm

Dox47 wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
Besides, gun regulations apply also to the powerful. A Roman noble bearing the cingulum militiae would be the modern equivalent of a senior civil servant and a rich stockholder. To my knowledge, civil servants and rich stockholders are not excluded from gun laws.

Depends on where you are. In DC, government employees are pretty much the only ones able to own and carry guns of any kind, and in NYC and parts of California it is widely acknowledged that the only way to get a carry permit is to be "connected" in some way, wealth fame or politics. Even anti-gun politicians living in anti-gun districts somehow manage to get carry permits their constituents never could receive; Dianne Feinstein, Mike Bloomberg and Dennis Kucinich all come to mind.

That is because they and the system are corrupt, and as powerful people, they can break any law they want to. They are not powerful because of their weapons, and do not have weapons to increase their power.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:09 am

Rascal77s wrote:

Not if I could possibly help it. I do have some guns that I've bought through stores with paperwork, but quite a few of mine were bought through classified adds, friends and acquaintances, so quite a lot of what I own is undocumented. I should add for the Europeans and such that this is perfectly legal in my state.

Registration is only useful for eventual confiscation, it doesn't solve crime and it doesn't make anyone safer, plus it requires yet another set of bureaucrats that have to be paid.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 3:44 am

Dox47 wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

Not if I could possibly help it. I do have some guns that I've bought through stores with paperwork, but quite a few of mine were bought through classified adds, friends and acquaintances, so quite a lot of what I own is undocumented. I should add for the Europeans and such that this is perfectly legal in my state.

Registration is only useful for eventual confiscation, it doesn't solve crime and it doesn't make anyone safer, plus it requires yet another set of bureaucrats that have to be paid.

I haven't bought anything since the registration requirement took effect in my state. I thank Pelosi for that.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:03 am

^
PRK?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:19 am

We have the lovely registration here in Oz (I think most of the "cultured" places have such nowadays); I don't like it, but eh, what can you do? I like the mandatory safety course though. A simple card saying you completed the course and aren't a convicted violent felon [or whatever] would be my ideal system, with no other restrictions in place.

Paperwork is a pain. I suppose it's no different to car registration and licensing though in theory. But then, you can buy a car and drive it on your property without any form of license and paperwork (no safety course needed at all). Odd that.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:20 am

Yup.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:03 am

Rascal77s wrote:
Yup.

Sorry.

I try to avoid that place even to travel, which is unfortunate in that it's a very lovely place with nice weather and great beaches. Unfortunately, it also seems to breed bad ideas and worse politics.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:56 am

Human beings of any kind and firearms do not mix.

People want them because they make them feel powerful. It's an infantile, needy emotional crutch. Thinking about the whole thing makes me feel depressed; it's indicative of all that is wrong with humanity.

DefinitelyKmart
Toucan
Toucan

11 May 2012, 9:38 am

yeah they seem to work very well, half of all gun posts i read seem obsessive to the nth degree.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 9:47 am

I'd love to own a firearm, but regulations are too complex here, and I'll be refused one for having any kind of 'mental handicap'.
Indeed, any dim-witted twenty-year-old Moroccan man with a criminal record can apply for a permit to own firearms, but I can't.

I'll either stick to the sword I keep right next to my bed or buy one illegally, as that's the choice they're giving me.
The police certainly isn't doing a lot to protect us from the invasion of criminal foreigners who start to form more and more of our local demographics.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 11:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Yup.

Sorry.

I try to avoid that place even to travel, which is unfortunate in that it's a very lovely place with nice weather and great beaches. Unfortunately, it also seems to breed bad ideas and worse politics.

And great weed.