Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:18 pm

Why not?

leviathans
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

I'm a Canadian and like most Canadians I disapprove easy accessibility to guns and I don't understand why America is so obsessed with firearms.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:33 am

leviathans wrote:
I'm a Canadian and like most Canadians I disapprove easy accessibility to guns and I don't understand why America is so obsessed with firearms.

Not all Americans. There is a bunch of people, political leaders, who would like nothing better than to disarm us.

Our "obsession" might be because we've had outsiders trying to steal our Country's resources for over two centuries. There is no gold in the Canadian Rockies.

perpetualconfusion
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2011, 8:39 pm

NorthPark wrote:
I personally say..YES :) AS is not (always) synonymous with ...let's say Schizophrenia, suicidal thoughts and such. I would personally own an AR15 or a shotgun because I think hunting is a little fun, so long as I don't kill too many animals that hunting, and the fun that come with it, gets killed to extinction and of course to scare off burglars.

Why or why not does the two mix?

Can't say I can answer your question (last sentence) as of yet....I am still learning here.

I did vote though.... :wink:

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2011, 9:54 pm

Damn you Americans (or other gun liberal countries) I'm English and, I am intrigued by firearms; the mechanical aspect appeals to me. But over here we aren't allowed anything! Shotguns and rifles are "allowed" but apparently the police keep an eye on you and your house. Besides, if I ever fired a gun I'd probably jump a metre out of my skin. guns are uncivilized things anyway, loud and blunt. I much prefer crossbows (elegant weapons, for a more civilized age=D) sleek, mechanical and, assuming it's well oiled and waxed, mostly silent. Any other lovers of the humble crossbow here?

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 10:28 pm

unduki wrote:

Our "obsession" might be because we've had outsiders trying to steal our Country's resources for over two centuries. There is no gold in the Canadian Rockies.

If you count money, flat screen TVs and your car as resources, it happens all too often in the SF suburbs.

Canada has gold, it is just that it's black and liquid-ey,

[qoute=lilbuddah]

Shotguns and rifles are "allowed" but apparently the police keep an eye on you and your house.[/quote]

Here in California, they do something similar with any firearm you have. It's called registration so they could confiscate them easily. That what I heard

MBTI- ISTP

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 3:27 am

NorthPark wrote:
unduki wrote:

If you count money, flat screen TVs and your car as resources, it happens all too often in the SF suburbs.

Canada has gold, it is just that it's black and liquid-ey,

[qoute=lilbuddah]

Shotguns and rifles are "allowed" but apparently the police keep an eye on you and your house.

Here in California, they do something similar with any firearm you have. It's called registration so they could confiscate them easily. That what I heard[/quote]
Handguns are registered in California and long gun registration will start in 2014 even though Canada proved it's ineffective. In fact there was a net flow of black market long guns from Canada INTO California the last few years. I really wish I downloaded that BATFE document. :?

AR-15s and their variants have become more and more popular for hunting purposes in recent years. The .223 is suitable for most small to medium size game (except hogs), The AR-10 is designed for the larger .308 round, and they can be converted to any caliber that will fit through the magazine well. Sons of Guns will be doing an episode on an AR-15 conversion to a big game rifle next week. The AR-15 is actually better suited for home defense than it gets credited for. It's M193 has good enough penetration to penetrate using a lead core bullet any vest not rated to take a rifle hit, it has good stopping power, yet breaks up easier going through drywall than a 9mm. The round is also fairly lawyer proof in non-castle doctrine states since the round is approved by Pentagon lawyers as compliant with the Geneva convention as not causing unnecessary suffering.

Oh, and the barrels on a semiauto can be made to any length just like any bolt or lever action. For an AR-15, for example, barrels range from 7 inches (those require a special permit to own) all the way up to 28 inches.

As for autism and gun ownership, there is no one answer for that. Some might never understand how to use it, some might be safe to take to a range or supervised hunting and some own their own guns and have various additional licenses and permits. In reality, most autistic all across the spectrum seem to care less about guns one way or the other. To me, that's fine as far as I'm concerned as long as they don't try to stop others from owning a gun.

Over this last year there has been much discussion among gun control advocates about finding additional criteria that someone can get banned from owning a gun for. However, such proposals have really incredible double standards over who gets subjected to them, and persecute people for having a rough time.

The only legal standard that stays internally consistent is taking people's guns away when a mental health team and a judge hold a hearing and that person is found to be a danger to themself or others, or mentally incompetent.

In short, until you get committed, convicted of a felony, or have your affairs handled for you as an adult, you can have a gun. The background check system only checks to see if you are blacklisted- not if you have 'the right stuff' to own a gun. Unless you are flagged in the system, the computer will tell the dealer to release it to you and the dealer will print the report for his records.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 3:35 am

Addendum:

I do indeed own several firearms (I've got enough for my needs, and I'm not wealthy enough to collect). Diagnosed with an ASD by several professionals.

My ASD doesn't seem to affect anything at all in regards to safe ownership and use. Over the past decade and a bit, I've fired hundreds of thousands of rounds without incident.

I see that firearm safety should be taught in school, just like swimming is; water and firearms aren't going anywhere, and even if you don't swim or own a firearm, there may be a time when you're thrown in the water and you need to save yourself or someone else, or you need to know how to safely unload and make safe a firearm.

I live in Oz too, where it's like Canada with all of the licensing and stuff.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 7:36 am

Lucky me, living in WA state with it's surprisingly liberal gun laws, and now I can even use my silencers. Needless to say, I own a lot of guns, and it's never been any sort of problem as far mixing with my AS or even my depression. I find that having a carry permit and a pistol always at hand actually helps with any suicidal ideation I may get; I can simply look to the holster, think to myself "that gun will still be there tomorrow", and put off the ideation until I feel better. It sounds bizarre and dangerous, but it's been working for me the better part of my adult life.

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 11:49 am

Dox47 wrote:
Lucky me, living in WA state with it's surprisingly liberal gun laws, and now I can even use my silencers.

I don't get why CA (or KAlifornia in gun forums) is so gun unfriendly. No silencers allowed (not even homemade ones) and an 11 rd magazine can land you in the Pen. Such laws give folks a false sense of security and I ain't buying it.

It sure didn't stop a felon from singlehandedly killing 4 Oakland cops with a CA illegal gun..NOW THATS SCARY :roll:

MBTI- ISTP

AbqAsP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2011, 11:58 am

I would if I felt the need. I used to shoot pistols competitively, and I know I was able to follow gun safety "rules" waaaay better than most others.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 9:22 pm

I need a gun to stop the king of England from getting up in my face.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2011, 9:27 pm

Phonic wrote:
I need a gun to stop the king of England from getting up in my face.

There is so much wrong wi- how can you even...*slow clap* very well done sir.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 2:05 am

I've lost count of how many guns I have. It's time to take inventory again.

They're safer in my hands than in those of most "normal" people.

Emiliania
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2012, 7:06 pm

YES! Firearms have become a bit of a special interest of mine. My boyfriend and I have Possession and Acquisition Licenses (the license you need to buy or own a gun in Canada) and we love to go shooting. I like it because it is relaxing and is a fun skill to gain and master. Particularly I have been shooting at distances up to 300 meters, but I would like to expand that to 1000 meters and beyond (however it is difficult to do that without the right (expensive) technology and a long enough range). I would also like to try clay pigeon shooting to work on accuracy with moving targets. I'm also working on improving my handgun shooting, which I find harder than shooting with a rifle.

I will stop talking about my special interest now. Guns must be stored and handled safely and in accordance with the law, and you must have the clarity of mind to remove them from your home if you are in a bad place mentally, so to speak (i.e. depressed, experiencing extreme stress, etc.). If you can do that, it doesn't matter whether you're NT or have AS/ASD. Guns are ridiculous fun :D.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:12 pm

My dad taught me how to shoot when I was young. He learned in the military and was very strict about safety. I found that that (the safety part) was one of the few areas of life where black-and-white thinking and absolute adherence to rules was a good thing (and admired by the old timers at the range).