Page 8 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Would you personally own firearms?
Poll ended at 25 Dec 2012, 12:36 pm
Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 4:44 pm

[img][800:147]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh116/dox47/MyRifle.jpg[/img]

I built this rifle from an action blank, a barrel blank and a chunk of wood. It's chambered in .22-250 on a Montana action, and the unusual stock design with Schnabel forend, shoehorn buttplate and pewter inlays is of my own devising. My instructors at gunsmithing school were rather bemused, as they'd wanted me to build a standard American sporter like everyone else, but in the end event they had to admit that it came out well. My bench even became a bit of a tour stop when they were bringing prospective students through, since no one else was really working on anything as unique at the time.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 5:39 pm

nemorosa wrote:
People want them because they make them feel powerful. It's an infantile, needy emotional crutch.

Speak for yourself there.

I like firearms because projectile weaponry is my interest. That's the only reason.

What you say though can be attributed to anything, i.e., a bigger club makes me a bigger man! A faster car makes me a faster man! This isn't an infantile response, rather it's a social response in regards to finding and acquiring a better mate. I'm sure some people feel "powerful" when they acquire a firearm or any other weapon (fast car, expensive clothes, and/or whatever social desirable out there too), but that's only one reason for wanting something.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:43 pm

nemorosa wrote:
Human beings of any kind and firearms do not mix.

People want them because they make them feel powerful. It's an infantile, needy emotional crutch. Thinking about the whole thing makes me feel depressed; it's indicative of all that is wrong with humanity.

A 60 year old 5'2" 110 lb. woman Awakens to a crashing noise and is confronted by a 6'5" 250 lb. male in her house. She yells "get out" but the intruder moves toward her. She shoots the intruder and he runs away. Do you think that gun makes her feel powerful or does she feel it's her only way of defending herself? Does it depress you that her life didn't end that night because she defended herself with a gun?

If you believe that if guns were banned criminals wouldn't have them I won't even try to convince you otherwise. The reality is that people who commit violent crimes tend to target people who are physically weaker and often don't need a weapon whereas the victims only chance is a weapon. For the life of me I can't understand why people who believe in the right to self-defense (I'm assuming you believe people have a natural right to self defense) suddenly expect the victim to roll over and die rather than use a gun.

What also puzzles me is that with 60 million gun owners and 200 million guns in the US people can't understand that a miniscule percentage of guns are misused. If you had a gun all of a sudden would you go out on a crime spree? No. If you had a kilo of heroin in front of you would you start shooting up? No. If you had a bottle of alcohol in front of you would you drive drunk? No. So why is it impossible for you and others to believe that most other people can act responsibly as well?

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:22 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I built this rifle from an action blank, a barrel blank and a chunk of wood. It's chambered in .22-250 on a Montana action, and the unusual stock design with Schnabel forend, shoehorn buttplate and pewter inlays is of my own devising. My instructors at gunsmithing school were rather bemused, as they'd wanted me to build a standard American sporter like everyone else, but in the end event they had to admit that it came out well. My bench even became a bit of a tour stop when they were bringing prospective students through, since no one else was really working on anything as unique at the time.

That design is lovely. If it weren't for the scope, it would have an antique feel to it.

Rascal77s wrote:
The reality is that people who commit violent crimes tend to target people who are physically weaker and often don't need a weapon whereas the victims only chance is a weapon.

This. Furthermore, if you're a law-abiding citizen, you're much less likely to contradict those laws by buying a firearm. If your intention is to use a firearm in a criminal fashion in the first place, you probably aren't bothered by the prospect of breaking one minor law by buying an illegal firearm.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 7:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:

That's pretty f'in sweet.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:08 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
nemorosa wrote:

People want them because they make them feel powerful. It's an infantile, needy emotional crutch. Thinking about the whole thing makes me feel depressed; it's indicative of all that is wrong with humanity.

A 60 year old 5'2" 110 lb. woman Awakens to a crashing noise and is confronted by a 6'5" 250 lb. male in her house. She yells "get out" but the intruder moves toward her. She shoots the intruder and he runs away. Do you think that gun makes her feel powerful or does she feel it's her only way of defending herself? Does it depress you that her life didn't end that night because she defended herself with a gun?

If you believe that if guns were banned criminals wouldn't have them I won't even try to convince you otherwise. The reality is that people who commit violent crimes tend to target people who are physically weaker and often don't need a weapon whereas the victims only chance is a weapon. For the life of me I can't understand why people who believe in the right to self-defense (I'm assuming you believe people have a natural right to self defense) suddenly expect the victim to roll over and die rather than use a gun.

What also puzzles me is that with 60 million gun owners and 200 million guns in the US people can't understand that a miniscule percentage of guns are misused. If you had a gun all of a sudden would you go out on a crime spree? No. If you had a kilo of heroin in front of you would you start shooting up? No. If you had a bottle of alcohol in front of you would you drive drunk? No. So why is it impossible for you and others to believe that most other people can act responsibly as well?

Fortunately I don't live in a nation with an almost pathological love affair with guns. It is weird and creepy in equal measure. The tortuous self justification for this fetish, and the palpable sense of panic that sets in at the very idea their toys could be taken away would be amusing if the whole business weren't so deadly serious.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 8:33 pm

nemorosa wrote:

Fortunately I don't live in a nation with an almost pathological love affair with guns. It is weird and creepy in equal measure. The tortuous self justification for this fetish, and the palpable sense of panic that sets in at the very idea their toys could be taken away would be amusing if the whole business weren't so deadly serious.

You're right, fortunately you live in a nation with a pathological fear of guns. Can I know where you live? I'm ready to give up my guns to live in your crime free society.

I'm also curious about why you bothered to quote me since you just rehashed what you've previously said instead of addressing anything I said in the quote.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 10:00 pm

nemorosa wrote:

People want them because they make them feel powerful. It's an infantile, needy emotional crutch.

I take it you're opposed to people using firearms to hunt for food?

I like shooting because it requires a very high degree of precision and total focus to hit a target beyond 300-400 yards.
When I shoot at those ranges I can block out absolutely everything else and think about nothing else in the world except for that shot.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2012, 12:06 am

yeah gotta love em :)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:15 am

<----- Me

:D

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2012, 12:17 am

most I like is mechanic aspect, workings, technics..
can spend lotsa time disassembling an reassembling over and over again
:)
:)

HK416N
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2012, 12:21 am

Dillogic wrote:
<----- Me

:D

cool pic!

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 2:50 am

Thanks! It's a Norinco JW-15 .22LR bolt gun; it's my quiet water bottle annihilator. It's the same as the usual CZ 452, just 1/3 the price (Norinco copied the design, just like they copy the designs of pretty much everything out there); I owned a CZ 452 in the past, and the Norc is pretty much equal in all aspects other than the finish on the stock. I also owned a Norc 1911 copy, and it was as good as the Colt I had.

nemorosa,

You'd actually be surprised about the rates of ownership of firearms in countries that don't speak of it as much. In my state in Oz, 1 in 20 people own firearms, and we're like Canada and England in regards to many things. Sure, it's not the 1 in 2 or so of the US, but it's high enough when you look around and see twenty people and one is a shooter.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 3:40 am

Nothing mixes with guns.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 4:45 am

Ammunition seems to mix well with mine. :P

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:13 am

Rascal77s wrote:
nemorosa wrote:

You're right, fortunately you live in a nation with a pathological fear of guns. Can I know where you live? I'm ready to give up my guns to live in your crime free society.

It's not a fear, because I never encounter guns at all in the course of my life. Sure, we have crime, but guns aren't going to solve the problem only make it much much worse.

Rascal77s wrote:
I'm also curious about why you bothered to quote me since you just rehashed what you've previously said instead of addressing anything I said in the quote.

There was nothing to address. It is interesting what people will say to defend the indefensible. Why would any sane society actually want guns? Surely the eventual goal should be to be rid of them entirely? Worse still is the fact that some people are clearly getting erections over the sight of hardware designed solely to cause significant trauma to flesh and bone.