Yes 63%  63%  [ 79 ]
No 37%  37%  [ 47 ]
Total votes : 126

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:23 am

nemorosa wrote:
Surely the eventual goal should be to be rid of them entirely?.

The only way we will ever remove weapons is to remove humanity. Humans are predators. Predators use what they can to get what they can [within the guidelines of survivability].

I'm sure you'd pick up a weapon and kill an animal if you had to. To protect your life if you had to. If not, you'd die, or you'd get someone else to do it for you, which is the same thing.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 6:05 am

nemorosa wrote:
Worse still is the fact that some people are clearly getting erections over the sight of hardware designed solely to cause significant trauma to flesh and bone.

I don't think anyone is getting an erection over the sight of hardware. They'd be more likely to get an erection over your avatar than a gun.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 12:28 pm

Dillogic wrote:
It's a Norinco JW-15 .22LR bolt gun; it's my quiet water bottle annihilator.

I have one of those too! It was my first real gun, my grandpa gave it to me when I was 13. I love that little gun. Shoots great!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 9:58 pm

nemorosa wrote:
It's not a fear, because I never encounter guns at all in the course of my life.

So you never encounter gun owners, yet you seem to think you know an awful lot about them...

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2012, 11:28 am

Tollorin wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Tixylix wrote:

kx250rider wrote:
Absolutely yes. Obviously the whole gun pro or anti thing is a political movement, so it probably will cause ill will among some of us. But just think for a second: How many people are killed by automobiles used incorrectly? People die in the tens of thousands every year due to deliberate car attacks or by accident, which is a tiny fraction of the number of murders or accidental deaths or injuries from gun owners. Automobiles are a huge chunk of the economy, so they are not regulated much at all. Guns are not, and they are a favorite target of special interest political groups to be used as a tool to win elections.

Automobiles are usefull as a mean of transport; guns only use is to kill, nothing else, they conceive as a mean to kill.

I can further debate that, but saying that my interest in collecting firearms is the same as my interest in collecting old cars. I don't drive all of my classic cars, although they are all in perfect roadworthy condition, as are all of my guns in perfect safe firing condition. SOME people have guns to protect themselves when they live out in the country with dangerous animals and snakes, like I do, and SOME people own automobiles to transport themselves and family. But others own guns to display for their historic value and craftsmanship, and some automobile owners (including myself), have cars and trucks neatly parked in garages and even inside houses, to be looked at and appreciated for the same craftsmanship and collector value as those guns.

If someone is ill-willed, and intends to hurt someone else, they will do so with our without guns, and with or without automobiles. And thousands of people will be hurt and killed every year by accident; whether by careless operation of automobiles and guns, in the bath tub, or by slipping and falling off a cliff.

Charles

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:16 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Ammunition seems to mix well with mine. :P

Damn you! I was going to say that! :P

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:37 pm

HK416N wrote:
most I like is mechanic aspect, workings, technics..
can spend lotsa time disassembling an reassembling over and over again
:)
:)

I like that....and the fact that IT CAN bring food and/ or save lives when used PROPERLY! :D

MBTI- ISTP

NorthPark
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 10:56 pm

Can't belive this thread is back on its feet....

Well the reason I originally started the thread was to see peoples opinions about a neuro deviant (and of course, sane) individual packing heat and so far it's looking good. Mom thinks no one that isnt normal should not be near one. Actually no one but the government should,

Mom thinks if I'm near a gun, I would shoot off people randomly and for no reason...wdf????

Well, I seen other gun threads are too old, so if you got anything you wanna add...blast it away FOLKS :lol:

and HK416 N, I was gonna say your avatar is an AK series rifles but then I saw the STANAG Mags attached to it.

PS I can't wait to leave PRK

MBTI- ISTP

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 12:12 am

NorthPark wrote:
Can't belive this thread is back on its feet....

Well the reason I originally started the thread was to see peoples opinions about a neuro deviant (and of course, sane) individual packing heat and so far it's looking good. Mom thinks no one that isnt normal should not be near one. Actually no one but the government should,

Mom thinks if I'm near a gun, I would shoot off people randomly and for no reason...wdf????

Well, I seen other gun threads are too old, so if you got anything you wanna add...blast it away FOLKS :lol:

and HK416 N, I was gonna say your avatar is an AK series rifles but then I saw the STANAG Mags attached to it.

PS I can't wait to leave PRK

Holy crap! Your mom is big brother! 8O

evil_expresso
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2012, 12:26 am

If I owned a gun, I'd probably end up hurting myself or others. I am not schizophrenic, depressed or bi polar, but I am rather impulsive due to ADHD.

AS quotient: Scored 32 and above, multiple times. I have been diagnosed with ADHD and OCD in the past, but those could simply be stereotypic traits related to Asperger's.

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 2:06 am

NorthPark wrote:

That's exactly why I don't own a gun, except in my case it wouldn't be random and there'd be an admittedly bad reason. I can have poor impulse control when I'm angry. But I do like to go shooting sometimes, my dad is a gun nut so I tag along to the shooting range occasionally. I'm kind of terrified of the things (guns), so target practice is my version of an extreme sport, like sky diving.

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

darkfuji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 May 2012, 3:59 am

why would you want a gun they are large noisy and illegal (in my country).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:07 am

Whilst it's good for people to think that their impulse issues should keep them away from firearms (weapons), hear this:

Impulse control issues don't care what you have in your hand when the emotions run high. Grabbing the nearest hard object and hitting someone over the head is just as dead as a bullet in the heart. Seen this happen in the news more times than I can count (something similar with a relative too).

Best to get treatment or at least speak with someone about such and get their opinion on why you are like this or that, before it's too late and you're another statistic with negative connotations (you can't come back from some things).

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 4:10 am

Dillogic wrote:
Whilst it's good for people to think that their impulse issues should keep them away from firearms (weapons), hear this:

Impulse control issues don't care what you have in your hand when the emotions run high. Grabbing the nearest hard object and hitting someone over the head is just as dead as a bullet in the heart. Seen this happen in the news more times than I can count (something similar with a relative too).

True, but it's a heck of a lot harder to kill someone in a neighboring car with an old McDonald's bag

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:15 am

Yeah, you couldn't put a round through the window, but you could put your hood through the side of a neighboring car; the story ends the same way. You could also easily block the other car and use a tire iron or any other hard object. Hell, you can kill someone with a single decent punch (after blocking the car and dragging the victim out of the car).

It's the mind that does these things, all else is but an extension of its will.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:07 am

darkfuji wrote:
why would you want a gun they are large noisy and illegal (in my country).

Why would one want anything?

I highly doubt they're illegal where you live; I'm sure there's restrictions though (everything that's fun is restricted to some extent).

Large? Not really.
Noisy? Yes, and I can see where that could affect someone with problems with loud noises (under hearing protection). Though for basic target shooting (small game hunting too), .22LR chambered firearms aren't that noisy with muffs on. For shotguns, .410 gauge isn't too bad in regards to noise for target shooting (small game too).

Some people just like things that others don't. I loathe cars, and I'd never own one, but I don't care if you do or don't.