Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 12:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Right, NTs do have routines but it doesn't impair them like it does for people on the autism spectrum. I once read in a comment to some article by a parent who said her son has AS. Every night before bed, he always has a glass of milk. One day they were out and her son would have had a major meltdown lasting hours at night if he didn't have his cup of milk, so she would be forced to run to the store with her son at night to get a gallon of milk or their lives be a living hell. Now that is an impairment since he would have melted down for not being able to have a glass of milk. No NT would meltdown if they can't do their usual routine.

What if society had been created differently, what if what was considered to be normal was different to what is considered normal now?

The thing is what is considered normal or functional is a man made concept, within and governed by, the man made norms of society. Just because an NT would not melt down over a glass of milk does it actually make melting down over a glass of milk wrong in the grand scheme of things or just different?

As my mum always used to say "just because someone jumps off a bridge, do you have to follow them and do the same thing?"

As for them not having milk in and having to go to the store, a little thought and preparation would have done them the world of good. And I have seen plenty of NTs sulk because they did not get something they wanted when they wanted it, which is similar to melting down over a glass of milk (although the reasons are different). NTs can tend to want everything their way...they just express it differently.

They actually do very similar things to those with Autism, the only difference is in how it is expressed.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
bumble wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I do not think the disorders you mentioned are fake........also as a rule mental illnesses/disorders are usually diagnosed based on symptoms not underlying causes. I don't know of a single mental disorder/illness/condition that they actually know the exact cause for as far as they can tell there are lots of various factors that contribute to these things. Obviously a mental disorder can not be seen like a physical disorder can be.....so symptoms are really all they can base a diagnoses on. With things like AIDS and Cancer I am pretty sure they have tests that allow them to actually see that someone has an illness like that.

Hmm I am not sure that some of the symptoms they do list as part of the disorder for Asperges are symtpoms of an mental illness etc.

1 Difficulty in reading body language. I know plenty of NTs who cannot read body language to save their blooming lives. They always think they are right when reading someone but actually, they usually get it wrong. This causes them to misjudge people. The only difference between an Aspie and an NT in that front is that they are more honest. They do not delude themselves into thinking that they can interpret someone by their body language whereas NTs convince themselves that they can (when in fact, often, they cannot).

2 The same goes for empathy. The number of times I have had an NT think they have felt what I am feeling and to claim that they understand my feelings only to go on to show, in their next sentence, that not only have they not understood my feelings but they are thinking I am feeling something that I am not feeling at all. Again they are deluding themselves into believing that they are empathising and sharing my feelings when clearly are not.

I am begining to think that NTs should be diagnosed with socially related delusional disorder (SRDD).

3 Intensive interests. The normals just need to experience true passion for something in order to understand this one. Passion for something is not a bloody symptom of a disorder.

4 Routines

NTs havd them they just have different ones.

and so on.

I really fail to see how some of those symptoms are a disorder. NTs cause more confusion in their world with the fake empathy and feigned ability to read body language accurately than people who actually take the time to say what they mean and mean what they say. At least you know where you stand with someone who does not expect you decipher some imaginary code.

Well I was talking about symptoms of AS, not symptoms of other mental illnesses.

As for body language I do not really rely on it because its been clear since i was pretty young I kinda fail at it, I do however seem to have an intresting sense about people I can kind of feel what sort of mood people around me are in and such so that is usually what I use to try and determine how people around me might feel and how it might cause them to react to me.

I've ran into simular experiances having to do with empathy......maybe with NTs the point is 'at least I said something with the intention of helping.' with me its more like 'I really don't know what to say, so i might as well not say anything, but i wish I could because if I say nothing maybe it looks like I don't care.' so I overanalize it and can't seem to figure out how to really express empathy.

Also I don't think there is really a reason to label neurotypical people as having a mental condition, simply because some NTs are ignorant about people on the autism spectrum or with other disorders.......but I do kinda see your point a lot of times it seems NTs are confident in their ideas about the world and fail to realise when they have it wrong.

I do have some intense intrests, but my depression and PTSD probably interfere with that as both of those can decrease motivation and make everything seem pointless. So to outside observers it might look more like I don't have any really intense intrests. Routines are not really something that play much of a role unless the absense of a routine could be considered a routine in itself.

Those symptoms are a disorder, because enough people are under the impression that some of these symptoms negatively interfere with an individuals ability to function, and since some symptoms I experiance negatively interfere with my functioning I consider it a disorder, regardless of the positive aspects of it.

Intentions are all so well and good, and I often take them into consideration, however when it comes to actually helping someone intention is not really always enough, especially if what is done does not help but makes things worse. Sometimes the best way to help someone is to find out exactly what helps them instead of assuming what might help them. The easiest way to do this is to ask them rather than just assume you know, or are supposed to know, the answers.

Don't beat yourself up because you don't know or you can't mind read what someone else wants or what might help someone else. Most NT's don't know either, they just think they do. When people help they tend to give the advice that helped them the most at the time they needed it. However it is not the same for everyone, and what helps one person may not help another. You cannot possibly always know exactly what will help without asking the person and discussing it with them to find the best solution for them; and why NT's think they can do this is beyond me.

In the process of helping people I have seen people get into such intensive debates over who is giving the most useful advice that the poor person who actually needs the help gets forgotten. In the end the ego war and being right becomes more important than actually getting the person who needs help what they need. AT that point it has become about the 'personal and public image' of the people trying to help and is no longer about the person who actually needs help.

It is also very unfair of people to expect people to just be able to read their mind or know what they want without them telling them.

In a way everyone lives in their own world because they all view the world through their own lens, and through their own experiences. No one experiences things or sees things in exactly the same way as somone else. Even things like pain can vary from individual to individual. Therefore you cannot possibly know exactly what their world is like!

Do they see the colour blue in exactly the same way you do? What kind of meaning do they attach to the colour blue, is it the same as the meaning you attach to it or does it depend on their own personal perception coloured by their own personal experiences in a world that they view through their own personal lens?

Believing that you experience the world in the same way as everybody else and can know exactly what someone else is experiencing is an illusion created by the human ego. Most people are lost in that illusion when in reality they can only guess or speculate as to exactly what someone else is feeling/experiencing/thinking.

So don't be hard on yourself if you are honest enough to admit that you don't know.

I would rather someone admit to me that they don't know what to say than to pretend that they do know what to say or that they do know what I am feeling when in reality they don't. That way I can actually tell them what might help me and more progress will be made.

As for depression, a lot of people get that, myself included and it sucks. Although if the world were a more accepting, warmer, tolerant place I doubt I would be as depressed as a I get some days. I get depressed over the state of mankind and the planet more than I get depressed over my own lack of social success sometimes.

Such a shame that people have to be so intolerant of each other.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 Dec 2011, 1:17 pm

I can't eat "what if we lived in a different world where we were considered normal" unfortunately.

Autism does have cognitive advantages (I don't mean splinter skills) which are frequently mischaracterized as deficits. But at the same time, autism does cause significant impairments for people all over the spectrum - from the mildest person labeled with AS or PDD-NOS to the most severe person labeled with autism. There's nothing wrong with admitting these impairments are real.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I can't eat "what if we lived in a different world where we were considered normal" unfortunately.

Autism does have cognitive advantages (I don't mean splinter skills) which are frequently mischaracterized as deficits. But at the same time, autism does cause significant impairments for people all over the spectrum - from the mildest person labeled with AS or PDD-NOS to the most severe person labeled with autism. There's nothing wrong with admitting these impairments are real.

True, but NTs also have impairments of their own. Everything has positive and negative aspects to it, absolutely everything.

Actually in truth, we define what is negative and positive. In reality things just are...we define what meaning they have to us and our world and whether that meaning is a positive one or a negative one or a mixture of both.

Basically a table is just a table but we get to decide what use that table has to us, what meaning to attach to that table and whether that table is a good table or a bad table. At the end of the day it is really just a table. Or more specifically it is a peice of wood shaped into a shape that we chose to call a table when we developed a word in the english language for it...which we also created ourselves and decided the meaning of.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 Dec 2011, 1:41 pm

bumble wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

True, but NTs also have impairments of their own. Everything has positive and negative aspects to it, absolutely everything.

Actually in truth, we define what is negative and positive. In reality things just are...we define what meaning they have to us and our world and whether that meaning is a positive one or a negative one or a mixture of both.

Basically a table is just a table but we get to decide what use that table has to us, what meaning to attach to that table and whether that table is a good table or a bad table. At the end of the day it is really just a table. Or more specifically it is a peice of wood shaped into a shape that we chose to call a table when we developed a word in the english language for it...which we also created ourselves and decided the meaning of.

This is all too abstract. Yes, of course, everything is arbitrary, but we live in a world defined by a specific set of arbitrary rules, and in that world I am not able to function as well as neurotypicals. What good does it do to imagine some other world that doesn't exist where I would be more functional? One of the problems I deal with every day is living with people who assume I can do things that are very difficult and treat me like rubbish I don't go out of my way to do many of those things.

I am not claiming to be inferior, nor am I claiming that NTs lack weaknesses. But I do have to admit that simple cooking instructions can leave me utterly confused and frustrated, and that impacts my ability to eat - I buy food that is simple to prepare, which is often both less healthy and more expensive just to avoid having to organize cooking anything more complex than a hamburger or a chicken breast. I mean, sure, I have a lot of strengths, and I won't even attempt to deny that, or claim that anyone who has a disability lacks any strengths or positives. But I don't see the point of minimizing the negatives. I think you're reaching toward this:

http://www.livingwithcerebralpalsy.com/ ... bility.php

But even the social acknowledges existing, real barriers and removing them. The social model may say that the way I process recipes means I need more verbose instructions. That would be correct - I need more verbose instructions or perhaps someone to clearly tell me what to do at each step. So my barrier to cooking can be removed, but the barrier is a consequence of both my neurology and a lack of accommodation for my neurology.

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 2:48 pm

Normal is normal for a good reason.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 3:23 pm

I agree that AD/HD and the autism spectrum are real neurological differences, but I think the basis for "ODD" seems rather flimsy. I recently found out that I was diagnosed with this as a child, primarily because of my meltdowns but also because I sometimes didn't want to do things that I was told to do because it didn't seem fair to me or didn't match up to what I thought would/should happen. Which often led to meltdowns.

I think it is extremely problematic to label a child as "oppositional defiant disorder" without finding out WHY they are upset and why they don't always follow instructions from authority figures. As a tool to actually help people, the label seems rather useless, and it rather seems to be promoting a problematic cultural idea that children should just do what they're told without question. I had little trouble doing what I was told when it made sense to me and seemed fair, but when it wasn't I had trouble. I have a big problem with that being labeled simply "ODD," and I wonder how many other people labeled as such as children had underlying developmental differences (particularly autism and AD/HD) that weren't being recognized and understood. Additionally, I have not heard of actual neurological evidence distinguishing ODD brains from "normal" brains, unlike the cases of AD/HD and autism.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

31 Dec 2011, 4:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The OP didn't write that. It was from the link he posted at the bottom. I think he was just trying to share it with us about the ignorance.
That's what I thought after I saw the link.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 4:05 pm

bumble wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Right, NTs do have routines but it doesn't impair them like it does for people on the autism spectrum. I once read in a comment to some article by a parent who said her son has AS. Every night before bed, he always has a glass of milk. One day they were out and her son would have had a major meltdown lasting hours at night if he didn't have his cup of milk, so she would be forced to run to the store with her son at night to get a gallon of milk or their lives be a living hell. Now that is an impairment since he would have melted down for not being able to have a glass of milk. No NT would meltdown if they can't do their usual routine.

What if society had been created differently, what if what was considered to be normal was different to what is considered normal now?

The thing is what is considered normal or functional is a man made concept, within and governed by, the man made norms of society. Just because an NT would not melt down over a glass of milk does it actually make melting down over a glass of milk wrong in the grand scheme of things or just different?

As my mum always used to say "just because someone jumps off a bridge, do you have to follow them and do the same thing?"

As for them not having milk in and having to go to the store, a little thought and preparation would have done them the world of good. And I have seen plenty of NTs sulk because they did not get something they wanted when they wanted it, which is similar to melting down over a glass of milk (although the reasons are different). NTs can tend to want everything their way...they just express it differently.

They actually do very similar things to those with Autism, the only difference is in how it is expressed.

The mother also mentioned her son would tear the whole house apart if he doesn't have his glass of milk. Sure the mother could sit on him to hold him down until the meltdown goes away but that take hours and hours and she won't get her sleep. Plus tying him in bed wouldn't do because that be child abuse.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 4:21 pm

srriv345 wrote:
I agree that AD/HD and the autism spectrum are real neurological differences, but I think the basis for "ODD" seems rather flimsy. I recently found out that I was diagnosed with this as a child, primarily because of my meltdowns but also because I sometimes didn't want to do things that I was told to do because it didn't seem fair to me or didn't match up to what I thought would/should happen. Which often led to meltdowns.

I think it is extremely problematic to label a child as "oppositional defiant disorder" without finding out WHY they are upset and why they don't always follow instructions from authority figures. As a tool to actually help people, the label seems rather useless, and it rather seems to be promoting a problematic cultural idea that children should just do what they're told without question. I had little trouble doing what I was told when it made sense to me and seemed fair, but when it wasn't I had trouble. I have a big problem with that being labeled simply "ODD," and I wonder how many other people labeled as such as children had underlying developmental differences (particularly autism and AD/HD) that weren't being recognized and understood. Additionally, I have not heard of actual neurological evidence distinguishing ODD brains from "normal" brains, unlike the cases of AD/HD and autism.

I often annoyed others by doing things to get peoples reactions, I always asked questions and wanted to know why to everything, I didn't always listen, I was seen as a trouble maker and as having behavior problems. I can imagine I would have been diagnosed with ODD as a child if the school knew about it. But I know my mother wouldn't have bought it because she tells me I never had behavior problems.

I remember reading on here how some aspies are misdiagnosed with ODD. I can already see why. But I know I don't have it because they are worse than me so I know I don't have it. I can remember my shrink telling me I have some oppositional defiance in me but I don't have ODD. That was back when I was trying to have it so I get my way because my aspie mate sure did and he had it. I had never tried getting my way as a child using manipulation and violence like they do.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 4:49 pm

A lot of times, what looks like a child "using manipulation and violence to get what they want" isn't really that. It's a meltdown. People thought I was doing this, but I really had no intention of manipulating anyone. I just could not cope with whatever the situation was.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 7:12 am

Verdandi wrote:
I think I am at the stage at which I just want to ignore everyone who says ADHD doesn't exist. But, ADHD has reams of scientific data supporting its existence, including documentation of neurological differences from neurotypical brains that show that it is a real problem. It's diagnosed through observed behaviors, but what ADHD is defined as is not behavioral. It's neurological, a disorder of self-regulation, motivation, intention, making it very difficult for those who have ADHD to organize themselves, to plan for the future, to stick to things they need to do instead of things they want to do. It is the opposite of a moral judgment as it takes behaviors that are perceived as personal flaws that people choose, and says people are not necessarily choosing, them, at least not with ADHD.

ADHD typically wreaks havoc on one's professional, home, and academic life. This is well beyond what "parents think their children should be doing," given that per Russell Barkley, each untreated person with ADHD costs their community a significant amount of money, and treatment actually reduces or eliminates these costs. Never mind things like a higher chance of getting into automobile accidents that are more dangerous than most accidents NTs get into (on average - it's possible for an ADHDer to get into a less severe accident than an NT, but an NT in the same situation would likely have a less severe accident than that ADHDer).

Please do some research before minimizing the real things people have to live with. Several people on this forum are diagnosed with ADHD, and several others suspect they have it. It looks like 65-75% of all autistic people might meet the criteria for ADHD, for that matter.

Also, the treatment I read for ODD was to constantly express love for your child when they're not being oppositional, and restrict anger and punishment to immediately when they are being oppositional. Make them feel wanted and cared for, and not like inherently bad people. Certainly not all about "punishment."

I think its ironic that *mental illness* is synonymous with *mental disorder*.

Disorder means a deviation from *order*; which means *chaos*. So the term suggests that chaos is bad (undesirable). But chaos is actually good.

On another note, sociology and today's society in general is always trying to pigeon hole us into the middle of the bell curve; the middle 80% lets
say. So the middle 80% are normal. They are order. Ordered people are easy to manage and fit into society.

So the bottom 10% and the top 10% are abnormal. They are chaos. Chaotic people are hard to manage and fit into society.

If Einstein was *normal*, then we would not have General or Special Relativity. Is this desirable? Heck no.

This is one of the reasons that labeling *mental disorders* is pointless. It clearly shows that society is viewing the mind and psychology in the
wrong light.

Another reason that labeling *mental disorders* is pointless, is that the mind is impossible to measure.

Now people might say, "But what if there is a measurable brain damage". Well then this is a *brain disorder*, not a *mental disorder*.

The brain and the mind are not the same thing. The brain is biology. The mind is consciousness.

Yes the mind is affected by the brain. But the brain is only one part of the mind. The mind also has knowledge.

Humans are universal creators. Therefore each mind has the capacity to create/learn knowledge and therefore *change* its own mind. And I don't mean changing decisions. I mean literally changing ones own mind; ones consciousness; ones neural pathways.

The mind has a mind-bogglingly awesome capacity to rewire itself. Each wire is a neural pathway. Each pathway is a learned concept. So how does one rewire her own mind?

BY LEARNING!! !

Btw, I'm Aspie and ADHD. These are strengths more than they are weaknesses. And I've learned how to minimize the negative effects of my weaknesses. And all without medication. How did I do it? Knowledge!!

--Rami

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2012, 7:23 am

bumble wrote:
I am not entirely sure that things like Aspergers are actually diseases though. Another facet of human nature or state of being yes, but a disease no. These conditions cause difficulties in functioning in society, yes? So that is why they are labelled as diseases or illnesses...yes?

Let us just look for a moment at exactly what 'Society' is.

Society is a construct that is put together by various normals (freudian slip there as I meant norms but normals will do lol), values and the expectation of conformity. Those norms, values, rules etc are actually defined by man not by nature. Nature on the other hand creates variety as part of the process of evolution. Society stumps evolution by limiting variety. Society actually works against the laws of nature. It is not natural. It not a natural way of life for our species. Society itself is abnormal in its constructs and insistance on conformity. It is stopping human evolution and progress not enhancing it in many ways by removing variation and insisting that we all conform to the same sets of standards, rules and behaviour.

Anything that does not fit into society in a way that society deems it should is labelled as abnormal. The difficulties in functioning are not caused by the illness itself but by the rules of society and societal expectations. So the difficulties are created by MAN not the disease. By mans lack of acceptance of difference, mans insistance on conformity and so on.

What would nature define these disease as? Not society but nature itself. In the natural world, outside of mans self created rules, norms and values would these diseases actually exist as diseases within nature itself or would it merely be another form of natural variation?

Would these diseases be maladaptive outside of society? Would these diseases be problems in a different society governed by different social rules where traits of those diseases were seen as desirable and attractive rather than an annoyance or different? The answer in many cases is probably no.

If not they are not diseases, they are man made diseases because they don't conform to man made rules in the way that man wants them to. So they label them as wrong, and rather than adapt society they try to cure the made up disease.

The only reason that many people labelled with these conditions cannot function in society is because society insists on conformity and labells everything that does not fit into its standards as abnormal.

We are the only species who live the way we do, I think you will find that in terms of nature itself, society itself is actually abnormal in its constructs. It is no wonder that we are having so much difficulty trying to be a part of it.

I just read your last two posts. WOW YOU ARE GENIUS!! !

Please join me at a philosophy discussion forum at http://groups.google.com/group/beginning-of-infinity

Just to entice you, I'll include one of my posts regarding pure math abstractions in the meta-physical space versus math in the physical space.

A few days ago I read BoI chapter 5 titled _The Reality of Abstractions_ which helped me figure out what happened in this thread. But I didn't write anything until I ran across a thread titled _The "Influences" Model_ which lead me to jumping to BoI chapter 13 titled _Choices_. I skimmed until I read the part about that math is fallible; which is what you have said in this thread.

In your explanation [not quoted], you've discussed both the physical and the meta-physical spaces but I only meant to refer to the meta-physical space. So as an example:

There is the pure abstraction about 1 + 1 = 2, and I think its accurate to call this meta-physical, and then there is the physical idea of 1 hole + 1 hole = 2 holes. I conjecture that the meta-physical one is objective truth. And that the physical one is not; and an example of how the physical can be false is if the holes are next to
each other thus making only 1 big hole. Hence 1 + 1 = 2 in the physical space is fallible while 1 + 1 = 2 in the meta-physical space is infallible.

So the example given in BoI chapter 13 is about math in politics and Deutsch says that it is fallible. And *math in politics* has 2 components which exist in the physical and the meta-physical spaces.

1> the pure math, i.e. the pure abstraction, i.e. a meta-physical objective truth, i.e. infallible, which exists in the meta-physical space, and

2> the reason [and way] in which to apply the pure math to politics, which exists in the physical space.

I think that #1 is meta-physical objective truth while #2 is physical knowledge and thus is fallible.

#1 is theoretical math and applied math, and I think both are infallible.

#2 is philosophy and methodology, and both are fallible.

So the theoretical math is 2nd order meta-physical. And the applied math (formulas) is 1st order meta-physical.

And the reason(s) in which to apply the math is the *philosophy*, which is 2nd order. The way in which to apply the math is the *methodology*, which is 1st order.

And as I stated in the thread titled _What is intelligence?_:

> I first employ philosophical logic before employing symbolic (math) logic. Philosophical logic provides the initial high-level aim while symbolic logic provides the zoom-in feature. Note that symbolic logic is less useful when viewing from far away, i.e. viewing a large portion of the knowledge network, and that philosophical logic is less useful when viewing from very close, i.e. viewing a small portion of the knowledge network. They must be wielded together like a sword and shield; the sword represents symbolic logic while the shield represents philosophical logic.

So my above paragraph involves the physical and the meta-physical spaces.

The _What is intelligence?_ thread is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beginnin ... 452f06b6dc

---

On a related note, my original meta-idea that I should read BoI in order by chapter was very wrong. Jumping around is way more useful for me. And my new meta-idea makes more sense since it coincides with my way of thinking as I described in the thread titled _Deutsch's way of thinking IS methodical_:
http://groups.google.com/group/beginnin ... 400231cf10

The thread titled _Theory of Knowledge: How the mind learns_ is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/beginnin ... this+group

All knowledge is connected!! !

Everything must reconcile!! !

--Rami