Hot chilli peppers? Are we sensory seeking?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2008, 5:10 pm

Do you like eating hot chilli peppers? If so, what is the hottest that you can you cope with? Anyone here tried the Dorset Naga Chilli Peppers? They are supposed to be amongst the hottest group in the world. Hubby and I made a curry with 3 genuine Dorset Nagas which should have been almost inedible. We weren't quite satisfied and ended up adding more chilli peppers to up the heat. Later that day we chopped one chilli up and tried eating bits of it neat (we got through 4 pints of milk between us) - these chillies came from the farm that markets them in Dorset, not from a Supermarket. Interestingly there are some YouTube videos of people eating the Dorset Nagas. We grow chillies in our greenhouse but haven't managed to grow the really hot ones yet. The ones produced in a UK supermarket and sold as Dorset Nagas lacked any real heat. I'm not sure if our senses are duller than most, or if we are sensory seeking and enjoy the pain or the endorphins eating chilli peppers provides? Interestingly our 3 year old son is also on the spectrum and will eat curry.

Do you hate chilli peppers or love them? Do you prefer them with just a little heat, medium heat, or really hot? For all those chilli lovers, what is the very hottest chilli pepper you have ever managed to eat and could you describe your experience? I drink milk and pace. I would love to hear how you cope with the pain.

I am wondering if our love of fearsome chilli peppers is in part due to us being on the Autistic Spectrum. Most people would be horrified at the pain we choose to endure. Looking forward to your comments. Is it just us? Or do you too enjoy a hot chilli pepper? If you do, I am also interested to learn the name of the hottest curry you have ever eaten.

Venus

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 5:17 pm

I love peppers and every other taste that is extreme like cumin, garlic, onions, curry and especially pickle juice with hot peppers.

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2008, 5:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Coadunate. Pickle juice with hot peppers sounds nice. We also thrive on garlic and onions in this household, if a recipe says "one clove" of garlic we deliberately use an entire garlic. No wonder we aren't too popular amongst the NTs.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 5:59 pm

eep, that's a little too much garlic for moi.. but i dont mind garlic, and yeah i guess i like hot peppers. I also like to bite into a lime sometimes..

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 6:08 pm

I generally like very spicy things, however I have tactile issues with chunks of stuff in very hot salsa. I'll just stick to the other hot foods :b.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2008, 6:58 pm

Humm, I'm the exact opposite. I cannot stand anything hot. I like the taste of spicy food, but the actual heat drives me insane. I avoid anything that is even the least bit warm like the plague (much to the chagrin of my father).

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 7:04 pm

I haven't tried the naga jolokia or Dorset naga pepper yet, nor have I tried the Red Savina pepper. I grow some plain old habanero peppers that I bought as saplings from a nursery, and they're pretty spicy but probably not as spicy as possible for an habanero. I've used one whole habanero as a topping for those microwavable personal-sized pizzas you can get at grocery stores. One with three avocados makes for a fairly spicy guacamole.

One time, I put a little habanero sauce on some nachos at La Salsa (it's a chain kind of like Chevy's); I couldn't taste it, so I added several ladle's worth more. It was too spicy, but I continued to eat it anyway because that was my dinner, so I just drank a ton of soda too. The next morning I was reeling from it; the capsaicin must have irritated my bowels considerably because I had diarrhea, and the spiciness remained going out. :(

There is a limit to the capsaicin a human body can handle.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 7:11 pm

I can't get enough of them!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 7:20 pm

By the way, is your sensory seeking circumscribed to food, or is it a sensory seeking more generally? For example, do you like roller coasters, bungee jumping, or skydiving/parachuting?

Horsa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2008, 7:21 pm

I've recently made a batch of maddness sauce with Dorset Nagas.

You need about 50...... Hard to come by.

Take 25 and blend them to a pulp.
Roast the other 25, till they're seared black but not burned.
To the chilli pulp add... about half a bottle of the clear vinegar, a full jar of American yellow mustard, a tablespoon or so of Garam Masala and the flesh of a whole mango... Then chop the roasted chillies finely. Mix all. Toss in some brown sugar.......

Dangerous sauce...

But chilli head heaven

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 8:36 pm

I like that Sriracha sauce on everything.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 8:53 pm

Some folks' sense of taste (including smell perception, reactions of trigeminal nerve in back of throat that helps detect "hot" (spicy) foods, and so on) is hyper sensitive, others have hypo sensitivity in that modality.
I'm excessively sensitive to flavors, and can't stand spicy/hot tasting foods-thus I don't eat any sort of peppers.

So a person with an ASD-and/or sensory issues/differences-could be more or less sensitive/reactive to certain stimuli compared with any other person. Also, people just have different attractions (and aversions) as to flavors (and textures, mouthfeel, and chewiness, etc.) that appeal to (or repel) them, for reasons beyond our scientific understanding.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 9:27 pm

I like hot peppers.

The hottest ones I have eaten were habeneros, raw, in little thin slices. They're okay. Aside from the hot, they're kind of boring. They are tastier dipped in honey. Hot honey is interesting.

Yoghurt cuts the burn better for me than milk. Flour tortillas work better than other kinds of bread, except maybe nan.

The hottest thing I have ever eaten is 'Da Bomb: Beyond Insanity' hot-sauce. I like hot better than anybody I know and would not recommend this stuff as a condiment, but it's an experience.

I'm not really into just plain hot, and like other flavours mixed in. Hot lime pickle is great.

brightblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2008, 9:28 pm

As a child, I was very sensitive to spicy foods. I couldn't stand anything with heat or other strong flavors. (I also had really strong reactions to grainy textures, like legumes.) As an adult, I can't get enough of spicy foods- though I have to watch myself or I get an upset stomach as well. I also love the other strong flavors someone mentioned above- garlic, curry, onions. I too am one of those people who will add an entire head of garlic when the recipe only calls for a clove! Now, roasted garlic smeared on toast... amazing!

vt420
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2008, 10:36 pm

my local indian place makes some good hot lamb vindaloo...

i like my fajitas with a good amount of dave's insanity..

i haven't met anything hot enough to stop me from eating it yet.

i love spicy foods

I never attributed it to the aspie-ness... but i've always loved strong flavours, sour, spicy, garlic... etc

ohh and i absolutely love horseradish it's a totally different heat than chilis....

Jeff

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:02 pm

Don't care for hot peppers. Maybe a little bit for a little spice but that's it. I go for the sweet peppers.