Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2012, 8:41 am

Ok so Escitalopram didn't do anything for my OCD.

What are peoples experiences with fluoxetine? Its a new one I'm supposed to be starting.

Side effects?

WildernessPhil
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

I am led to believe that fluoxetine can also be known as Prozac.
I took it and it made me feel very sick, lightheaded and dry mouthed.
These are all symptoms of anti-depressants but for some reason the side effects with Fluoxetine were worse for me than other anti-depressants.
I am on Citalopram now and the side effects, although there, are nowhere near as bad.
That was my experience with it. It will be different for others though.
No anti-depressant will stop the symptoms of OCD or any other autism spectrum disorder, but they do help with the stress and anxiety that comes with the disorder.

Phil.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2012, 5:27 pm

I found Fluoxetine gave me worse side-effects than any of the other anti-depressants I've tried. I was having panic attacks every night for weeks when I started on Fluoxetine.
I found Sertraline gave me least side effects of the SSRIs.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 7:27 am

I took my first one this morning and I feel gross, I don't think I'll stay on it. I don't think I'll ever enjoy food again.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 8:15 am

beware of this drug. Check out web-site called SSRI stories.com
It is a database of 4,800 newspaper articles, court documents, etc. of people who have committed suicide or murder on Prozac. the manufacturer spends a lot of money keeping this info from the public.

I have been prescribed it twice but did not take it. I have PTSD and it can be especially dangerous for people like me who have rage toward abuser.

Valium is the only drug I trust, and use with discretion.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 8:30 am

It worked really really well for me.

But that's at an extremely low dose-- 20mg-- which a lot of people don't even consider therapeutic.

*scratches head*

Dunno.

Good luck.

Don't let anybody tell you you have to keep taking anything that you don't think works for you.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

I'm having my reservations. I don't enjoy feeling constantly like I want to puke. I eel absolutely gross and the drug is the only thing I can explain it with.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 6:26 pm

If it works for whatever it's supposed to work for, that might get better in a couple weeks.

But it might not be worth it. Nausea sucks more than depression if you ask me.

MissQ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2012, 7:03 pm

My Dr. gave me a prescription for it... I took it two days and quit. I felt horrible.
Besides, I avoid anything with fluoride in it.
Durring one of my obsessive episodes (lasted about a year), I did non-stop research on fluoride.
I won't go into a rant here, but if anyone is interested in finding out about fluoride, go here:

http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-d ... oride.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoride_toxicity

" The fluorine atom is pervasive in drugs, e.g. Prozac, and many other substances such as freon, Teflon, and blood serum (PFOS, PFOA, and PFNA)."

I take St. John's Wort, one per day, and to me, it is miraculous. It really does balance out the moods.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 12:17 am

St Johns wort is not good enough.

It might work for mild depression, but it does not work for extreme depression, anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorder.

I will stick this out for 2 weeks but if there's no improvement I'm done with it.

MissQ
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2012, 12:29 am

You may be right, but have you tried it?
I just take one a day, sometimes one at night too and I can tell the difference when I don't take them.

For anxiety, you might want to try Valerian root caps. If I take even one of those, I turn into a limp noodle.

Of course there are degrees of depression, anxiety, etc... and maybe mine aren't as severe as someone else's.

I do know that fluoride is some very nasty stuff. It builds up in your system and by the time you hit mid-life, it shows itself in all kinds of ways - osteoporosis, thyroid disease, kidney stones, to name a few.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:03 am

MissQ wrote:
You may be right, but have you tried it?
I just take one a day, sometimes one at night too and I can tell the difference when I don't take them.

For anxiety, you might want to try Valerian root caps. If I take even one of those, I turn into a limp noodle.

Of course there are degrees of depression, anxiety, etc... and maybe mine aren't as severe as someone else's.

I do know that fluoride is some very nasty stuff. It builds up in your system and by the time you hit mid-life, it shows itself in all kinds of ways - osteoporosis, thyroid disease, kidney stones, to name a few.

Yeah.. but wouldn't it be the same for all medications? I'll discuss this with the psych.

I'll look into those root caps.

Miharu
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 6:29 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Ok so Escitalopram didn't do anything for my OCD.

What are peoples experiences with fluoxetine? Its a new one I'm supposed to be starting.

Side effects?

It literally saved my life. It helped me alot with my Bdd (form/family of OCD). I was very suicidal at the time i started taking it. I never wanted to take medication before. I heard alot of negative stories of people becoming emotionless zombies, and extreme weight gain, it scared me. It couldn't get any worser for me. I really didn't care anymore. I didn't want to feel anymore. I wanted to be emotionless. I was at my lowest. The first two months i had side effects, I felt horrible, anxiety, loss of appetite, dry mouth, vidid dreams. Insomnia, i think i could only sleep two-three hours a day. After i went through it, i was the happiest i've ever felt in years. I felt extremely alive. It took me out of my depression, I stopped worrying over things, thinking about things. My mind was clear. I haven't felt that happy in years. It's like my head was held under water for years, and that i could finally breathe again. I went out, i did things again. I stopped focussing on the negative things in life and could see the positive and beautiful things again.